Diplomacy (1 Viewer)

Tatsumaki

HSC
Hey guys ;P Please don't flame me if I posted the thread in the wrong place, I joined about 10mins ago. 0_o"

I was wondering what would be necessary to become a Diplomat?

I am an Australian born year 12 VCE student.
My subjects are English, Legal Studies, Psychology, Biology, History Revolutions and I finished Literature last year.

I would really appreciate any information you have, like ENTER score, subject requirements or what degree in University might lead to a career in the field.

(I don't know if it is relevant, but I am learning Japanese outside of school)

Andi0390

HSC
I would think that there would be a variety of pathways. ANU offers Bachelor of Arts (International Relations) I believe that was 85 UAU two years ago so that might of changes. Maybe an Arts in IR, Political Science or a language. Or a Bachelor of Asian Studies if you planned to go to an Asian countries. Possibly a law degree and do your Arts subject as IR or something.

Its a bit hard to tell you what the entrance will be because there are so many universities and as far as I know there isn't a diplomat specific degree. Still I would go with a variant of Arts or Arts/Laws. For a good Arts you are probably looking at between 70 and 83 UAI. For a good Arts/Laws you would be looking in the high 90s. If you are a year 12 student there should be a careers counselor that you can speak to, or directly contact a university and speak to their advisor.

I am under the impression that a diplomat is not an entry level position, meaning you would not become a diplomat immediately after graduating. I imagine that you would have to work within a government department, maybe foreign affairs and trading or similar and work your way to that level, although the course you have in university will help you get there. I wouldn't do a course because of a possible career you might get after years of work. Its not a job with an excess of positions, and i would imagine its a semi popular job so it may be hard to obtain. You may be better of thinking of a career path, like International Relations and following that because you are interested, and becoming a diplomat is just a bonus.

A language wouldn't go astray.

Miner

HSC
You start by becoming a Foreign Affairs and Trade Officer either through a graduate program or general recruitment. There are heaps of degree courses that will meet the selection criteria for DFAT, and preference is definitely for those graduates who have Honours Degrees.

Check this link for more details.
Foreign Affairs and Trade Officer (NSW) | Job Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)