Disagreeing with the extended response question? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
So if the extended response question was for example 'An individual’s sense of belong is determined by external forces. To what extent do you agree with the statement? (CTHS 2010 Trial), if I completely disagreed with this statement would I get deducted marks ? =|

Because I completely disagreed with a essay question in a Modern History assesment task (providing evidence to justfy) , but I got a really bad mark because my teacher said I didn't make any of the points from the marking criteria and it was too 'uni' style..

So just wondering if its possible to get full marks if you disagree with the statement, assuming I give techniques, quotes & evidence?

Thanks!:)

deswa1

HSC
Yes definitely. If you can support your viewpoint properly- go for it.

D94

HSC
N/A
You can disagree with it, but you can't just say "I completely disagree" and write down a prepared essay. It still has to relate to the question, but you need to provide textual references which don't support that statement, and explain why some certain points could mean something else. Most people will have textual references supporting the statement, so you need to somehow show those points are invalid or could be interpreted differently.

enoilgam

HSC
So if the extended response question was for example 'An individual’s sense of belong is determined by external forces. To what extent do you agree with the statement? (CTHS 2010 Trial), if I completely disagreed with this statement would I get deducted marks ? =|

Because I completely disagreed with a essay question in a Modern History assesment task (providing evidence to justfy) , but I got a really bad mark because my teacher said I didn't make any of the points from the marking criteria and it was too 'uni' style..

So just wondering if its possible to get full marks if you disagree with the statement, assuming I give techniques, quotes & evidence?

With any essay you write - you are not marked on the argument you present, but rather the way in which the argument is presented. The markers are looking for a sustained and logical response which is supported by evidence (whether that be quotes, techniques, LCMR, historiography etc). Many of my teachers/lecturers have disagreed with what I have had to say in essays, but that shouldnt have any bearing on the marks whatsoever.

irenefu

HSC
With any essay you write - you are not marked on the argument you present, but rather the way in which the argument is presented. The markers are looking for a sustained and logical response which is supported by evidence (whether that be quotes, techniques, LCMR, historiography etc). Many of my teachers/lecturers have disagreed with what I have had to say in essays, but that shouldnt have any bearing on the marks whatsoever.

Yeah , oh well I've already dropped that subject.

Just another question - if the question was 'Belonging is about the desire of acceptance that may or may not bring personal satisfaction' , can I structure out my essay like this:

Acceptance can nourish an individuals sense of belonging, and provides a degree of personal satisfaction
*How it's shown in Text 1
*How it's shown in Text 2

However acceptance does not always enhance one's sense of belonging, as it often involves the sacrifices that do not provide personal satisfaction.
*How it's shown in Text 1
*How it's shown in Text 3

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That is exactly how you structure your essay if it asks for two related texts.

Make sure you synthesise what both texts show and how they link at the end of each argument.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Just curious, with the OP's essay question, what would you take "external forces" to mean?

jenslekman

HSC

lol. this same thing happened to me- :( - but yes in english you can definitely disagree.

irenefu

HSC
That is exactly how you structure your essay if it asks for two related texts.

Make sure you synthesise what both texts show and how they link at the end of each argument.
Oh okay I see. But if it just said 'Belonging is the desire of acceptance that provides satisfaction', could I use the same line of argument and structure?

Just curious, with the OP's essay question, what would you take "external forces" to mean?
Hmm. I would take it to be : other people's power to determine one's sense of belonging, social/cultural expectations, etc

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm. I would take it to be : other people's power to determine one's sense of belonging, social/cultural expectations, etc
Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)