Disbanding of Careers & Employment at UWS (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
from the email:
Dear student,

UWS is currently proposing budget cuts to Student Support Services. One of
the areas under threat is Careers & Employment.

This means there will be no direct student contact regarding
career-related questions and coaching.

Possibly from next semester you will no longer be able to access the
following services:

Career consultations
Career education workshops
Guest lectures from Career Consultants across a range of topics,
including career planning, job application techniques, resume development
and interview skills
Career Development programs
Assistance in organising work experience, including the provision of
appropriate insurance coverage letters
Advice on course/major/unit choice or change
Resume reviews
Practice with interview skills
Guidance on addressing selection criteria
Employer site visits

The services that may be retained but managed by Cooperative Programs are:

Career Expos
A website

Without access to the full range of Careers & Employment services with
qualified careers practitioners, UWS risks placing our students at a
distinct disadvantage in the graduate employment market.

You are encouraged to reply to this message outlining your experience of
using Careers & Employment services and indicating your opinion regarding
the discontinuation of the service.

Your responses will be collated and forwarded to Janice Reid, Vice
Chancellor. Please note that your responses will not be anonymous.

Alternatively may write to the VC directly: vc@uws.edu.au or phone the UWS
Student Hotline 1800 657 622

Jan Thomas
Acting Head, Careers & Employment
12 April 2006

can you believe this??? now they tell us...outrageous.
Pleas people, if you have done any stuff with careers, please forward a reply abotuthe usefulness of the service so that other students may use this service in future.

L

LaraB

klh said:
can you believe this??? now they tell us...outrageous.
Pleas people, if you have done any stuff with careers, please forward a reply abotuthe usefulness of the service so that other students may use this service in future.
I sent a reply back to it but don't expect it to do anything.... my aunty used to work for UWS until she got the shits with admin stuff so transferred to Usyd and she said there'd been rumours about plans to do this for quite a while.

Sounds like us protesting is just only so the VC can't claim that we can't whinge afterwards coz we didn't protest it...

Seems like the new Medical dept is the worset hing that could happen to UWS - they don't have the funds so they're cutting stuff from everywhere to pay for it.. and the new buildings... cuts from Law School, combining of new colleges/schools, careers resources cuts, apparently some staff (casual) cuts, planned PLT cuts...

so stupid...

Med dept would have been better to have been a joint initiative with Wollongong or another uni like that separate frmo UWS as such....

= Jennifer =

HSC
No they should not be doing this :( This is a vital resource to all UWS students...when I get in the mood I will write a letter :p All this for a medical school that is going to be located in campbelltown this means that they get all the funding and us law (and business, arts, etc ) students have to suffer :( ok yes we get sick we need to go to a doctor, what about when we they do something naughty and they get caught we need lawyers :p

ps how come i never got the email :(

L

LaraB

= Jennifer = said:
No they should not be doing this :( This is a vital resource to all UWS students...when I get in the mood I will write a letter :p All this for a medical school that is going to be located in campbelltown this means that they get all the funding and us law (and business, arts, etc ) students have to suffer :( ok yes we get sick we need to go to a doctor, what about when we they do something naughty and they get caught we need lawyers :p

ps how come i never got the email :(
I didn't get it at my uws email.. got it on my personal one.. don't remember giving them it lol but yeah so maybe not everyone's gonn aget it?

santaslayer

HSC
They might as well close down if they are planning to shut careers services out. What's the use of a uni if it can't help students start on their career? Are you sure this email is credible?

L

LaraB

It is definitely reputable. We're not stupid enough to fall for some spam about uni services.. - recruit@uws.edu.au..

But saying the uni may as well shut down is a ridiculous statement.

santaslayer

HSC
What is the point of going to university? Fair enough, a lot do it for the pure hardcore study. The majority though, go for a career. A hopeful start. That start will be (according to your reputable email) diminished significantly.

I'm suppose to be on your side.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I really doubt that those services they provide get alot of interest anyway.

Plus, careers stuff you can go through your course co-ordinator anyway, they generally have better stuff because it relates to your degree.

Probably not a big loss.

And stop blaming the med thingo. Med was a new direction and a good direction in the long term.
Not like the world needs snobby lawyers :p

BobB

HSC
N/A
Cape said:
I really doubt that those services they provide get alot of interest anyway.

Plus, careers stuff you can go through your course co-ordinator anyway, they generally have better stuff because it relates to your degree.

Probably not a big loss.

And stop blaming the med thingo. Med was a new direction and a good direction in the long term.
Not like the world needs snobby lawyers :p
Of course.. because you can speak for the entire student body as to whom uses what.

It is partly to do with the new Medical school - whenever there has been a deficit in the funds for the Medical school, something just so happens to be cut from somewhere else.

There have been press releases about it so i'm assuming you don't take to much notice of the news.

And besides - the Medical school may not be a good 'direction', be it long or short term. It's aim is to increase medical professionals in the western suburbs, but most the applicants are UNSW medical science students who don'tthin they'll make the cut for UNSW Med so no it will not achieve it's aim. Never mind the terribly inconvenient location for most people, the poor education, computer literacy and socio-economic condition of the region it aims to draw from...

It would be far more viable for the uni's sake to have not done it at all or done it as a joint program with Macquarie or Wollongong or CSU or unis other than the city unis. They'd be able to get more money that way and actually attract the people that they want to.

And geez fine you don't like lawyers - get over it. We don't all exactly think applied science grads are the epitomy of greatness.

It is a bit crap that they've decided to cut it now... the resume writing workship is really good :) A lot of the first year programs are a bit pointless but the workshops run for final year students are really good and very helpful - saves you potentially thousands of dollars on getting help with your CV because some industries/companies have unspoken 'requirements' and the workshops are pretty good for guidelines for certain types of jobs etc.

Although like other people mentioned, i doubt they'll care. They don't seem to care what we think lately - and for those who are anti union - SEE! this is what happens when you don't support the union so their sway decreases. When things like this used to come up, the union would go nuts and the uni would change it's mind or at least compromise.

Now the best we can hope for is a delay on when they are cut :( Hopefully it's delayed long enough until after i graduate :)

Last edited:

BobB

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
What is the point of going to university? Fair enough, a lot do it for the pure hardcore study. The majority though, go for a career. A hopeful start. That start will be (according to your reputable email) diminished significantly.

I'm suppose to be on your side.
My elder sister goes to CSU and their careers resources are virtually non existent - from what she tells me, even if UWS did cut the programs they'd have more in practice than she has access to.

Just because the programs are cut doesn't negate the value of the uni. The purpose of year 12 is to more or less, get to uni - people can say it isn't all they want, but why else would you be in school instead of on an apprentice/traineeship - and a lot of schools have next to no careers resources and help - do you propose that we tell these children don't bother doing year 12 because you might not have the most resources at your disposal as possible to pic a uni course?....

melodic_gal

HSC
Yeah I saw the message posted on the student service centre when i was walking passed it. if this disbanning thing has happened does that mean if we needed advice or assistant on careers and employment we have to go somewhere else like other uni or something??

santaslayer

HSC
BobB said:
My elder sister goes to CSU and their careers resources are virtually non existent - from what she tells me, even if UWS did cut the programs they'd have more in practice than she has access to.

Just because the programs are cut doesn't negate the value of the uni. The purpose of year 12 is to more or less, get to uni - people can say it isn't all they want, but why else would you be in school instead of on an apprentice/traineeship - and a lot of schools have next to no careers resources and help - do you propose that we tell these children don't bother doing year 12 because you might not have the most resources at your disposal as possible to pic a uni course?....
What other sources do you require when picking a university course other than your own personal choice? The UAC guide provides one with all the university courses the institutions cater for. The potential job opportunities are also listed within the guide and in many other internet related sources. What sources did you utilise whilst making such a decision? LoL.?? You might want a friend's view or experience. Maybe an academic's view thrown in. None of these resources relate to school in anyway whatsoever. High schools do not cater for university pathways only. In fact, in a lot of the schools, university pathways represent a minority. We aren't all students from James Ruse.

I think making a right decision about your own career is ultimately the university's goal, or what it wants to be percieved as doing anyway. Removing such a facility is harmful to the university's overall appearence. I don't see why you're trying to prove me wrong, unless you don't really mind the services being eliminated.

Like I said, I'm suppose to be on your side. Arguing about my statement is pointless and adverse to the thread creator's cause.

EDIT:

From your own admissions, you do seem to care. The workshops do seem to be helpful and cost saving. It does seem to be detrimental for it to be cut. wtf are you doing trying to prove me wrong????

It is a bit crap that they've decided to cut it now... the resume writing workship is really good A lot of the first year programs are a bit pointless but the workshops run for final year students are really good and very helpful - saves you potentially thousands of dollars on getting help with your CV because some industries/companies have unspoken 'requirements' and the workshops are pretty good for guidelines for certain types of jobs etc.

Last edited:

Angel45

HSC
They're also proposing similar cuts to like the learning skills unit... which is gay considering so many 1st yr drop outs...

they offer those workshops on like referncing and essay writing and stuff which is good for mature age students...and even i went to some to touch up before uni started and to get to meet some ppl.. they were always really well run and lsu provides Peer Menotring which is a good initiative (i saw and signed the petition for this when i went to hand my peer mentoring attendance sheet in).

i think they need a new like finance planner.. hehe.. show where to cut some spending and where to re-direct funds... i mean, for instance, some of the scholarships to ppl who put a certain course down as first preference is a bit sus... i'm sure they'd get the numbers anyway... and does it really influence someone's choice THAT much... a one off payment for a decision which could effect ur life is a bit risky. some of the basic equipment like for my comm course (projectors in the lecture hall for instance) suck.. that should take preference i feel over expensive med school equipment.

i think my law lecturers so far have all been fantastic - approachable, friendly, intelligent, gr8 teachers, motivated...uws is lucky to have them! But after reading the article in the western onion on the law school's probs i dunno.. the law school may just end up loosing it's good teachers if they get fed up.. like u were saying ur aunty left lara. that'd be a shame!

BobB

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
High schools do not cater for university pathways only. In fact, in a lot of the schools, university pathways represent a minority. We aren't all students from James Ruse.

I think making a right decision about your own career is ultimately the university's goal, or what it wants to be percieved as doing anyway. Removing such a facility is harmful to the university's overall appearence. I don't see why you're trying to prove me wrong, unless you don't really mind the services being eliminated.

Like I said, I'm suppose to be on your side. Arguing about my statement is pointless and adverse to the thread creator's cause.

EDIT:
From your own admissions, you do seem to care. The workshops do seem to be helpful and cost saving. It does seem to be detrimental for it to be cut. wtf are you doing trying to prove me wrong????

It is a bit crap that they've decided to cut it now... the resume writing workship is really good A lot of the first year programs are a bit pointless but the workshops run for final year students are really good and very helpful - saves you potentially thousands of dollars on getting help with your CV because some industries/companies have unspoken 'requirements' and the workshops are pretty good for guidelines for certain types of jobs etc.
uh.. since when is James Ruse the only school where university is the main aim? A huge proportion of high schools - university is the aim. It is irrelevant whether this is all or most or few or whatever. And no - the UAC guide doesn't tell you everything you need to know. If it did, there wouldn't be workshops and seminar days and careers fairs and uni open days and careers advisors etc etc. If university was not the desire aim - why is the most common statistic you are given at any highschool the quantity of students who gained a high UAI and what university courses students are going to?

The aim of higher-high-school education is to get to uni. The curriculum is constructed around teh UAi which is constructed around the needs/wants of universities... Up until year 10 you could argue that schooling is not geared towards university, as the year 7-10 curriculum caters for those going on to year 12, those who plan to get jobs without finishing their educatin and those aiming to gain an apprenticeship/traineeship. The vast majority of jobs that require or prefer a HSC level education are those that also require a tertiary degree or some sort, otherwise, SC level is generally all that is required, so Prelim HSC and HSC years of schooling ARE aiming towards university.

If that is your retort then you either did not read my post, read it and decided to make your own conclusion irrelevant to its actual content, or misunderstood it.

Just because a service is really helpful to a uni does not equate to "there may as well be no uni without it".

An anaology to your statement, again, would be to say that there is no succession planning in factory x, so the whole place is a waste of space and may as well shut down. The object of employment for most people is to move up and not be stuck in an entry level position, but just because a company's program for succession and promotion is lacking, it does not mean that the company is not viable.

Yes the careers services are very useful, but it does not mean that the uni may as well shut without them. There are other ways of gaining this advice, albeit less convenient, but there are still other ways. This does not negate the quality of the teaching of courses in any way.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

wikiwiki said:
Well, McDonalds were the only employer that turned up at the UWS Careers Expo, so I can understand why UWS didn't want to waste it's time and effort.
You are absolutely full of crap. There were many employers at the UWS Careers Expos - and by the way - in addition to being multiple employers there was more than one expo to start with.

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
They're also proposing similar cuts to like the learning skills unit... which is gay considering so many 1st yr drop outs...

they offer those workshops on like referncing and essay writing and stuff which is good for mature age students...and even i went to some to touch up before uni started and to get to meet some ppl.. they were always really well run and lsu provides Peer Menotring which is a good initiative (i saw and signed the petition for this when i went to hand my peer mentoring attendance sheet in).

i think they need a new like finance planner.. hehe.. show where to cut some spending and where to re-direct funds... i mean, for instance, some of the scholarships to ppl who put a certain course down as first preference is a bit sus... i'm sure they'd get the numbers anyway... and does it really influence someone's choice THAT much... a one off payment for a decision which could effect ur life is a bit risky. some of the basic equipment like for my comm course (projectors in the lecture hall for instance) suck.. that should take preference i feel over expensive med school equipment.

i think my law lecturers so far have all been fantastic - approachable, friendly, intelligent, gr8 teachers, motivated...uws is lucky to have them! But after reading the article in the western onion on the law school's probs i dunno.. the law school may just end up loosing it's good teachers if they get fed up.. like u were saying ur aunty left lara. that'd be a shame!
I guess the argument they have about all the drop outs though is the same as other unis - they always say, "well, maybe they were never meant to be a uni student and should take a different career path..." which then leads them to say that therefore the quality of the student base would increase..

It's mostly a load of crap lol... but they always put some spin on it like that at every uni...

I think the law school isn't as likely to loose lecturers as you may think - i remember talking to Simon about all this stuff last year and his logic was he would stay at UWS until they shut it down altogether if they ever do, because if anything, he would be more influential and more useful a teacher and it's unfair to disadvantage us.

Seems like a lot think that way although, obviously a lot don't :p

They're having similar stuff happening at Usyd in terms of staff cuts... my aunty was saying they're giving out a heap of redunandcies to get rid of admin staff.... would be nice if UWS took the path of getting rid of staff who never do anything rather than getting rid of programs... i doubt we'd miss a couple of the ladies from the student centre since they spent half of their shift taking smoking breaks anyway :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

wikiwiki said:
Relax, my trolling was to point out the ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY of UWS disbanding it's career services.

It's feeding all the people who shoot down UWS degrees.

What are people going to say if this makes the paper?
lol 'if"... it will :p... anytime anything happens at uws, a rep or student from another uni just so happens to bring it up in conversation which is a bit annoying coz that doesn't happen to a lot of other unis...

It would make sense for them to rather than cut the careers services, cut ones that aren't working/viable.... i mean, stuff like the pre-uni courses most people say don't need a full weekend, and could be done in like a few hours...

santaslayer

HSC
BobB said:
uh.. since when is James Ruse the only school where university is the main aim? A huge proportion of high schools - university is the aim. It is irrelevant whether this is all or most or few or whatever.
My point was never about James Ruse being the only school that caters for university pathways. My point was that James Ruse is one of the main schools who have a majority of people entering university.
I never disagreed with you on the point of the high school's aim. I see no reason why you asre trying to make it into an argument. Read more and you might undersatnd.

BoBb said:
And no - the UAC guide doesn't tell you everything you need to know. If it did, there wouldn't be workshops and seminar days and careers fairs and uni open days and careers advisors etc etc. If university was not the desire aim - why is the most common statistic you are given at any highschool the quantity of students who gained a high UAI and what university courses students are going to?
Your point would be much better understood if you actually quoted the correct comment.

The UAC guide was ONE of the many sources I identified. It was not the ONLY source. Your comment above proves what I stated previously. NOTHING or RARELY do we need information from our High School. We get them from different workshops, and career fairs. Wjhat does that have to do with High School?

I never dusputed the fact that university was the aim of most High Schools. Did you aim for 100.00 in your UAI? Did you get it? Aim and reality is usually very different. I was talking about reality. You are alluding to fantasy, or 'aim' as you put it. For the record, most high schools in fact do not have a majority of students enetering into university.

BoBb said:
The aim of higher-high-school education is to get to uni. The curriculum is constructed around teh UAi which is constructed around the needs/wants of universities... Up until year 10 you could argue that schooling is not geared towards university, as the year 7-10 curriculum caters for those going on to year 12, those who plan to get jobs without finishing their educatin and those aiming to gain an apprenticeship/traineeship. The vast majority of jobs that require or prefer a HSC level education are those that also require a tertiary degree or some sort, otherwise, SC level is generally all that is required, so Prelim HSC and HSC years of schooling ARE aiming towards university.
You are in fact insulting the education system. (Or probably oblivious to it, I'm not sure):

-VET courses exist
-Couses like Catholic Studies and Fundamental English also exist.
-Many job opportunities require the completion of the HSC year, not necessarily obtaining the UAI.
-You need to have completed HSC before you do Garbology, as an obvious example.

BobB said:
If that is your retort then you either did not read my post, read it and decided to make your own conclusion irrelevant to its actual content, or misunderstood it.
God.

:p

BobB said:
Just because a service is really helpful to a uni does not equate to "there may as well be no uni without it".
It was a comment to support the thread creator's post. You are killing it. It is very difficult right for me. I am having difficulties containing my urge to swear at you and make fun of your intellect.

BobB said:
An anaology to your statement, again, would be to say that there is no succession planning in factory x, so the whole place is a waste of space and may as well shut down. The object of employment for most people is to move up and not be stuck in an entry level position, but just because a company's program for succession and promotion is lacking, it does not mean that the company is not viable.
That's impressive. Something straight out of a textbook. Career advice has nothing to do with succession planning.

Anyway, if you want:

If there is no succession planning, the business will soon collapse because many either move on or die out. Factory x will still be important until everyone moves. It is not a waste of space but it will prove to have failed after a while.

What has this got to do with my analogy, career services, UWS or anything except for your textbook?

BobB said:
This does not negate the quality of the teaching of courses in any way.
No one was alluding to the teaching quality. Stop being so defensive. Other BoS members thrive on such UWS defensivness. :sleep:

Angel45

HSC
LaraB said:
I think the law school isn't as likely to loose lecturers as you may think - i remember talking to Simon about all this stuff last year and his logic was he would stay at UWS until they shut it down altogether if they ever do, because if anything, he would be more influential and more useful a teacher and it's unfair to disadvantage us.

Seems like a lot think that way although, obviously a lot don't :p
True that!!that's good hear.

i read all about the law schoo in the western onion - which is more than a bit of sus source probably to guage any kind of 'feeling' from.....hehe.. I only read it coz it had "law school in crisis" on the front page...

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
True that!!that's good hear.

i read all about the law schoo in the western onion - which is more than a bit of sus source probably to guage any kind of 'feeling' from.....hehe.. I only read it coz it had "law school in crisis" on the front page...
lol never trust the western onion on important stuff like that :p

They have a habit of exaggerating to get the point across when the plain truth is just as discgraceful :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)