Discrete random variables (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Hmm. I did think about the oldest possible age problem... the question wasn't specific in that regard.

I was trying to build an expression like that in the textbook but I couldn't figure out what to build.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think you would need to make an assumption about what the oldest possible age is, e.g. 100 years (or call it N years or something), because that'd clearly affect the answer.

Also, Pr(X > 10 | X = 10) is 0, so I think you meant something else.
Part 2) is basically asking I think for E[X | X > 10], where X is the random variable ''age that person dies at''. This is known as a conditional expectation.

leehuan

HSC
Part 2) is basically asking I think for E[X | X > 10], where X is the random variable ''age that person dies at''. This is known as a conditional expectation.
Will research this later

leehuan

HSC
Two quickies. (Second one isn't really random I guess)

All I want to know about this one is that is this X~Poisson(1)?

In the previous exercise I got E[X]=7/2 and Var[X]=35/12 for just one die being rolled. I'm fairly sure that therefore E[Y]=7/2 and Var[Y]=35/(12n), but I'm not sure how to prove it.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Two quickies. (Second one isn't really random I guess)

All I want to know about this one is that is this X~Poisson(1)?

In the previous exercise I got E[X]=7/2 and Var[X]=35/12 for just one die being rolled. I'm fairly sure that therefore E[Y]=7/2 and Var[Y]=35/(12n), but I'm not sure how to prove it.
Answer to your first Q: it's not Poisson(2).

For the dice one (note Y is the sample average):
1) The expectation of the sample average is just the expectation of each Xi, i.e. 3.5
2) The variance of the sample average is (sigma^2)/n, where sigma^2 is the variance of each Xi, which you can find as E[X^2] – (3.5)^2.

(In other words, what you thought were the answers are correct.)

These follow from basic facts about sample averages (due to properties of expectation and variance of independent r.v.'s).

leehuan

HSC
Answer to your first Q: it's not Poisson(2).

For the dice one (note Y is the sample average):
1) The expectation of the sample average is just the expectation of each Xi, i.e. 3.5
2) The variance of the sample average is (sigma^2)/n, where sigma^2 is the variance of each Xi, which you can find as E[X^2] – (3.5)^2.

(In other words, what you thought were the answers are correct.)

These follow from basic facts about sample averages (due to properties of expectation and variance of independent r.v.'s).
Yeah I edited back to 1 when I realised what I did lol. Lurking out of here though cause I've got a continuous r.v. qn now if you've got time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)