Discuss the BCS Theory (1 Viewer)

Jaymee

HSC
I'm working on answering the syllabus questions. I've sort of got an answer for this dot point but it doesnt seem like it really "discusses" it and I cant find any further information on it. This is what I've got thus far:

-Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer proposed that at very low temperatures the carriers of electricity are not single electrons. but pairs of electrons called cooper pairs.
-In the crystal lattice of the superconductor, the first electron of the pair attracts the positive ions. These ions move inwards and have a net positive charge which attracts the second electron.

My teacher explained something about the thermal movement of particles but i dont entirely see how to relate it.

Any input on how to better my answer would be much appreciated.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i think you also have to mentioin how this attractive force overcomes the electron's natural repulsive force, such that they are able to form the Coopepr pair.

your teacher also probably meant by thermal movement is probably something to do with phonons being emitted by the vibration of the lattice? or it could be something to do with superconductors under a certain threshold temperature fall into a quantum state which allows the Cooper pair to remain together due to reduced molecular motion that would otherwise have overcome the attractive force of the electrons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)