Distinction course help (1 Viewer)

psychopath

HSC
hi, i'm a student at James Ruse Ag High school who will be completing an accelerated HSC course in IPT this year. i was wondering wether anyone could give me any information about a distinction course, as i was looking to study cosmology next year.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Go cosmo! ****loads of work, but its fun. I dont think the expression of interest form is out yet. Wait a couple of months. You basically fill in this form, go to the information day in november (where you watch past students graduate) and then formally apply. You wont know if you made it in until about december of this year, after youve completed the HSC in whatever subject you accelerated in. They want to know your results. http://www.distinction.nsw.edu.au has a basic intro to the course and http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/distinction_booklet_2003.pdf is last years information booklet. My advice is to hassle whoever is in charge of this stuff at your school or ask some of the year 11 students at your school who are doing the courses.
2 threads on distinction courses... in July. Boy these subjects are getting popular :p

Last edited:

picaresque

HSC
psychopath said:
hi, i'm a student at James Ruse Ag High school who will be completing an accelerated HSC course in IPT this year. i was wondering wether anyone could give me any information about a distinction course, as i was looking to study cosmology next year.
Go see Wood if you haven't yet. She's in charge of it and will help you with anything you need to know or do.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I'm kind of glad i didnt get accepted into distinction course. the amount of work my friends get is so horrific for cosmology. Most of my friends have decided on dropping the course as the workload is too much and they'd rather be concentrating on their normal subjects. I think phiosophy was the more popular one. Some people were telling me how cosmology doenst really go towards what they want to do in university and saying how it was a waste. My 2 cents :)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
kimmeh said:
I'm kind of glad i didnt get accepted into distinction course. the amount of work my friends get is so horrific for cosmology. Most of my friends have decided on dropping the course as the workload is too much and they'd rather be concentrating on their normal subjects. I think phiosophy was the more popular one. Some people were telling me how cosmology doenst really go towards what they want to do in university and saying how it was a waste. My 2 cents :)
Yeah, thats true. This year in particular probably has the highest number of drop outs for cosmology. Its pretty difficult and consumes so much of your time. Started of with about 33 and now its down to 23? Most of us are barely passing on with still 70% of the course yet to be completed (exam and assessment next week which is 40% and major project to go).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm pissed off that I was never told at my school that these distinction course existed:|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)