Distinction course study (1 Viewer)

lsdpoon1337

HSC
I'm doing philosophy distinction course next year and was wondering about the difficulty and workload about the course or even distinction courses in general.

Do people make notes or is about memorising the given material?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Its philosphy mate, its just a fill in for a missing unit. Dont bother with it really, you can't test someones wisdom.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Distinction courses will not take up as much of your time as other HSC courses might - but even so, it's still worth it (in terms of both personal enjoyment AND your UAI) - I achieved 95/100 this year in Software Design and Development - and it didn't even count towards my UAI - Philosophy did (and saved me too!)

It's not much like other HSC courses however - there is alot of independant study + thought that goes into this course. Logic > Cramming skills.

Hope that helped!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
Distinction courses will not take up as much of your time as other HSC courses might - but even so, it's still worth it (in terms of both personal enjoyment AND your UAI) - I achieved 95/100 this year in Software Design and Development - and it didn't even count towards my UAI - Philosophy did (and saved me too!)

It's not much like other HSC courses however - there is alot of independant study + thought that goes into this course. Logic > Cramming skills.

Hope that helped!
At the residential house, do you get your own room?

It might sound stupid, but I am just curious.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
vulgarfraction said:
you're talking about the dumbed down version.

namu- you definitely don't get your own room at cosmo.
I know. My friend was making that up so I responded to that.

dizzyliz

HSC
my name's sarah and i found out i got in to philosophy yesterday!! im so excited. i cant wait to meet you all at the residentials

say hello if you're doing it- i really want to meet people that are doing it too.

to be honest, im a bit apprehensive about the workload- they really talked it up at the open day. apprehensive/incredibly excited though. whens the first residential? anyone know?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Want to know what philosophy is like? Punch your head until it hurts.

BTW HAI ROGER!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Its philosphy mate, its just a fill in for a missing unit. Dont bother with it really, you can't test someones wisdom.
You are a gimp and a know-nothing. You haven't even experienced the course yourself. It's people like you who give negative perceptions to such subjects which may deter others from choosing this wonderful subject which in turn has stopped funding to Distinction courses which as a result has lead to its partial demise in 2009.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
Logic > Cramming skills.
Not true. One can get a HD by getting past essays, memorising them and regurgitating them in the exam.

Distinction Courses are bloody fantastic. Two units, great scaling, great marks, for less work than a typical 2-unit course!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Enobarbus said:
Not true. One can get a HD by getting past essays, memorising them and regurgitating them in the exam.

Distinction Courses are bloody fantastic. Two units, great scaling, great marks, for less work than a typical 2-unit course!
Hahaha...I like your sarcasm.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Hahaha...I like your sarcasm.
nah i'm srs man

i put in less work for philosophy than i did for eng adv, eng ext1, economics, french cont, french ext and it gave me my highest scaled mark out of all my courses

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Enobarbus said:
nah i'm srs man

i put in less work for philosophy than i did for eng adv, eng ext1, economics, french cont, french ext and it gave me my highest scaled mark out of all my courses
Oh...okay.

I am actually quite surprised to hear that after all.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
^ then again, he did top the yearly exam and did come in the top 5 of the state for philosophy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
^ then again, he did top the yearly exam and did come in the top 5 of the state for philosophy.
Yeah, he is a tank.

I wonder what would have happend if he actually tried harder.

I am going to go quite hard in Cosmology, hahaha

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah, i looked at the scaling report, it sed that only 49% of the students that did a disntinction course used it in their UAI, and also if u dont get like top 25% then the scaling gets bad....so yeah it wont count if u dont come in the top
so basically u have to do well if u want the good scaling

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Holy crap,

this forum I started one year ago got revived- LOL

Anyways, yeah, the marks are vague as there is no numerical mark (e.g. 95, 100, 85 etc) which pisses me off of what exactly my 'HD' really is.

Yeah, for future students I found Philosophy at times frustrating, in sense of feeling 'lost' without a teacher or some dot points. I did pawn the exam surprisingly through memorising 10/10 essays and practising to regurgutate them under practice exam conditions a crap load of times.

GL for yr 12s, I think 3rd res. clashes with trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)