Distinction Courses? (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
six in one class? what the... what subject(s) did you accelerate in?
(I'm answering for fantasia)
Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1

That's '6 out of all accelerants' at [fantasia's] school.

tempco

HSC
Hmm... I should have accelerated Maths Ext 2... 2U was a total waste of time :/

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i reckon accelerating in math weren't be as good as accelerating in other subjects, unless you're one of those math genius who can score scale mark of 99 on the first go or else you gonna have to repeated if you want 99 or at least high 90s. although its still way better than not accelerating.

tempco

HSC
I planned on doing 4U already, so if I had accelerated in 4U, I would have a feel for it.. what's expected and all... IMHO, Maths is a great subject to accelerate in... it's not really an experience based subject, or something you learn over a long period of time (eg. English)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by nekkid
I planned on doing 4U already, so if I had accelerated in 4U, I would have a feel for it.. what's expected and all... IMHO, Maths is a great subject to accelerate in... it's not really an experience based subject, or something you learn over a long period of time (eg. English)
then why do you do 2u instead of 4u?

but if i had the choice of accelerating in either math OR english... i would take english because the prelim math course is actually relevant to the hsc but this not the case for english or any other subjects that i know of... what is the point of prelim :confused:

some people is like prelim builds your foundation so you can do the hsc... but wouldn't it be better if you had spent two years doing the hsc so you have two goes at it? please tell me you agree with me... why can't some people (stupid teachers) understand this simple logic... i wish i'd knew how this hsc business worked in year 7 so can i prolly be in third year uni by now

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by nekkid
IIMHO, Maths is a great subject to accelerate in... it's not really an experience based subject, or something you learn over a long period of time (eg. English)
you are so wrong nekkid :p
i can garuntee you that maths is not a skill that you build and cram over a year. look at where i am now. i'm doing the course again and i find that i get a more thorough understanding of the course. mianly because i changed schools and that the methods of teaching are different, but i realised werushed so many things during the course of the year. i'm actually glad i'm doing it again even though my marks should be high, (because i'm doing it again), i feel as though i have a better foundation. plus if you think about it, accelerating places you at a one year disadvantage with the real HSC candidates. within that one year, you couldve built colid and concrete foundations for your study. for maths, HSC physics links with HSC maths ext 1 and 2. i found i was disadvantaged because the majority of people doing ext 2/1 maths did physics, so they got a better grip of things. i think accelerating in one of the sciences would be good :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by kimmeh
plus if you think about it, accelerating places you at a one year disadvantage with the real HSC candidates. within that one year, you couldve built colid and concrete foundations for your study. for maths, HSC physics links with HSC maths ext 1 and 2. i found i was disadvantaged because the majority of people doing ext 2/1 maths did physics, so they got a better grip of things. i think accelerating in one of the sciences would be good :)
an alternate way of thinking: you got 4 units while everyone else has at least 10 units to worry about... which gives you an advantage of prolly about 2.5 times the time to study compared to everyone else and the time you spend for prelim can cancel out with the extra subjects (ie people do 14 units instead of 10) that everyone else is taking. ;)

physics does have a lot of overlap with math... but 'hsc' physics is just not about math, only prolly 10-15% of the exam is math and they are no where near as hard as the hsc math courses.

accelerating in science is great... especially when you realise that 95%+ of the prelim course has absolutely no relevance to the hsc course and you only need some or even no understanding at all to be able to bullcrap about some scientific thing that would get you the top mark... that is if you're good at assimilating random facts and then eloquently regurgitating it. :)

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
then why do you do 2u instead of 4u?

but if i had the choice of accelerating in either math OR english..
I had no choice.

Originally posted by kimmeh
you are so wrong nekkid :p
i can garuntee you that maths is not a skill that you build and cram over a year. look at where i am now. i'm doing the course again and i find that i get a more thorough understanding of the course. mianly because i changed schools and that the methods of teaching are different, but i realised werushed so many things during the course of the year.
So if you had good teachers from the beginning of the year, it would be very possible for you to get a good mark? This goes for almost everyone (unless you really hate math, and it gives you a mental block whenever you think about it)... there's a higher chance of people getting better marks in Maths than in English because of the nature of each subject... well, that's what I think... maybe it's because I hate English so much :s

Oh, results tomorrow... I wanna crawl into a deep, dark hole... =_=

tempco

HSC
heh... try an adopt an attitude where you'll be happy no matter what your mark is :D

And regarding the 2U accelerating, I think we were forced to do it to push up the year 12s who were doing 2U... there are many people in my class who would probably get above 80 in 2U, so that would give the average a boost. Yeh.. that's my theory anyway.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
hey your attitude stinks :chainsaw:

an attitude like that can potentially lead to disaster in hsc and life ;) ... i mean if you think like that you'll be like: "so what if fail i'll still be happy... so i will do no study and hope for good mark if not it doesn't matter since im still happy with any mark... even zero." however, i'll try to adopt two different attitudes, one before the exam and one after... so i wouldn't feel so bad :) ... but i can't :(

about the math thing, your school is weird... using the prodigy year 11s to help the hopeless year 12s... but i doubt you're theory works, unless the teacher cheated with the school's assessment mark to advantage the year 12s so they get the full benefit of your hsc exam marks.

tempco

HSC
I was referring to the post-exam attitude :p

Yeh, my school is weird.

tempco

HSC
Just got the package of all the core modules today... gonna start reading it soon... should be interesting :D Has anyone received info on the forums and such for the distinction courses? I thought it would come with the text, but it didn't.. >_< Or maybe my letter was accidentally thrown away :/

Rorix

HSC
I got my stuff today as well - no letter on the forum, although it says in the intro booklet that one is supposed to be included:(

AGB

HSC
i got my package for cosmology the other day and it had a letter with info on the forums on it :confused: :confused: but there were only cosmology and comp litt names on the student list when i logged on so maybe thats why.....assuming u guys are doing philosophy....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)