distinguishing between alkanes and alkenes prac (1 Viewer)

xbimbo

HSC
N/A
We did a prac on distinguishing between cyclohexane and cyclohexene by adding bromine water. Has anyone else done that one? I couldn't do some of the questions on that prac. Here are the ones I wasn't sure of:

1. What are the structural equations if pure bromine was added to the cyclohexane and cyclohexene? Explain why.
2. What are the structural equations if bromine water was added? Explain.
3. Why is bromine soluble in both water and hydrocarbons?
Also, can anyone explain the equilibrium of bromine and hydoxide molecules in bromine water?

Any ideas?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well, i just done some work on this section but haven't done the prac yet, but this is what you should observe from the prac. Firstly if you look at the two reactions one will lose colour and the other remains browny red. The one that loses colour is the one with cyclohexene because in cyclohexene, there is a double bond which causes the molecule to be more reactive with other substances. So when the Br2 reacts with cyclohexene, Br2 breaks into 2 Br's and that is why you see the solution lose colour since Br by itself has no colour unless if its diatomic ie Br2. Now in the other reaction with cyclohexane, the solution stays browny red and means the Br2 is still in solution, and that it did not react and therefore hasn't broken up into Br's and hence you see the colour remain in solution. That should help with the explaining required in Q1.

Last edited:
S

s_t_a_r1234

its something to do with it being a saturated compound..dunno meself, guess that makes 3 clueless ppl

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
This is more than you need to know for this particular prac.

I'll assume you know what cyclohexane and cyclohexene looks like and are able to apply my explanation to them because it's not very easy to draw them here. Hence I'm going to explain this using hexane and hexene.
xbimbo said:
1. What are the structural equations if pure bromine was added to the cyclohexane and cyclohexene? Explain why.
Pure bromine is Br2. When reacted with an alkane under U.V. radiation, a subsitution reaction occurs.

C6H14 + Br2 → C6H13Br + HBr

Because alkanes are saturated compounds - that is, they have the maximum number of H atoms to each C atom - they are unable to undergo addition reactions. They only react (slowly) with bromine, chlorine and iodine in presence of U.V. light.

Alkenes, on the other hand, undergo addition reactions.

C6H12 + Br2 → C6H12Br2

Sorry I can't demonstrate via structural formulae, but basically, the double bond in the alkene opens up to join onto the two Br atoms.
xbimbo said:
2. What are the structural equations if bromine water was added? Explain.
Pure bromine is Br2 while bromine water is HOBr, so the same principles apply. It will react with hexene to form HO-CH2-CH2-Br, which is 2-bromoethanol. Under U.V. light, it will react in the same way with alkanes - via substitution. I'm not clear on whether the H atom will be replaced with the OH or Br, but I don't see why it can't be either.
xbimbo said:
3. Why is bromine soluble in both water and hydrocarbons?
Bromine is non-polar. Since like dissolves in like, it dissolves in hydrocarbons because hydrocarbons are non-polar. However (now I'm just making an educated guess), it seems it reacts with water to form HOBr as bromie water is HOBr. So I guess it's more of reacting than dissolving.
xbimbo said:
Also, can anyone explain the equilibrium of bromine and hydoxide molecules in bromine water?
I doubt you need to know this. I suppose it's like the self-ionisation of water:

HOBr ←→ OH- + Br+

HSC
does pure bromine discolour? or do schools use broime water because its cheaper?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Casmira said:
does pure bromine discolour? or do schools use broime water because its cheaper?
Yes, pure bromine does discolour when it's reacted with alkenes or alkanes.

Ethene: CH2=CH2 + Br2 → Br-CH2-CH2-Br

Ethane: CH2-CH2 + Br2 + U.V. → CH2-CHBr + HBr

Hydrogen bromide (HBr) is colourless. Therefore ethane also decolorises Br2.

S

s_t_a_r1234

do alkanes ONLY undergo substitution reactions, do alkenes ONLY undergo addition reactions.?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
s_t_a_r1234 said:
do alkanes ONLY undergo substitution reactions, do alkenes ONLY undergo addition reactions.?
No, they both undergo combustion.

nit

HSC
well alkenes undergo addition and hardly ever substitutions, alkanes undergo substitutions and never additions. As far as alkane reactions go, there isnt a wide variety of commonly encountered reactions - mostly radical reactions. Alkenes have a much wider set of chemical reactions - oxidation (ie combustion above), hydration, hydrohalogenation etc and this is due to the reactivity of the double bond, promoting addition reactions.

.ben

HSC
How did you get all this when ur in Eastment's class?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
.ben said:
How did you get all this when ur in Eastment's class?
I still can't quite figure it out - who are you?

Oh and about that Eastment comment ... :rolleyes: Well, if it wasn't for excessive studying before the start of year 12 and tutoring, I would be failing Chem. She's a good head teacher, but it's just that being a head teacher means she has a lot to do, which results in not being in class a lot of the time. At the end of the year she was very helpful, but it was a little late.

bassqueen16

HSC
lol i have a superduper chem teacher, and a small class which actually loves chem, so im happy, im just a little thick on stuff so it takes me a while to get things... we did this experiment with potassium permanganate, cos we didnt have bromine water-what properties of potassium permanganate make this experiment still work?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
bassqueen16 said:
yea wat exactly makes this work with potassium permanganate?
Potassium permanganate will probably react with the alkene only, not sure what causes this to occur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)