Distributing HSC Notes, Good or Bad!? (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Under KANT's deontology, an action is ethical if it produces a great amount of happiness, Since I make half of BOS happy ... I consider spreading resources ethical,
The resources you spread though, were the original creators freely redistributing them or selling them?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The resources you spread though, were the original creators freely redistributing them or selling them?

That I don't know... Yet I cannot ask the creators.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
That I don't know... Yet I cannot ask the creators.
What you do is helpful for heaps of people and yeah I agree overall it's making more people happy than it could make people upset :p but it still does boil down to how the creator was initially distributing them. (Freely or for a price.)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What you do is helpful for heaps of people and yeah I agree overall it's making more people happy than it could make people upset :p but it still does boil down to how the creator was initially distributing them. (Freely or for a price.)
True that hahha.

Inb4 I get sued.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
TECHNICALLY, If the notes have images from textbooks they can't really sue you because the creator is selling their notes which is using licensed images from a textbook :p Use that to settle ;)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
My question: If I can buy a book and sell it later for less, why can't I do the same for a set of notes?
I think; that if it is a hard copy book then it's fine but not if it's an electronic copy

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
TECHNICALLY, If the notes have images from textbooks they can't really sue you because the creator is selling their notes which is using licensed images from a textbook :p Use that to settle ;)
BUT; the textbook people would have paid a commission to CAD which allows them to use images freely whilst being able to have their material copyrighted.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
BUT; the textbook people would have paid a commission to CAD which allows them to use images freely whilst being able to have their material copyrighted.
Not saying the textbook publishers are doing anything wrong, the people that use images from the textbook in their sets of notes and then sell their notes are the ones :p

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
scenario 1: steven is a dick
scenario 2: steven is a good mate, should probably ask bill for permission to give notes out tho
scenario 3: steven should ask bill for permission to trade, but still a dick for trading without permission

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
scenario 1: steven is a dick
scenario 2: steven is a good mate, should probably ask bill for permission to give notes out tho
scenario 3: steven should ask bill for permission to trade, but still a dick for trading without permission
Thanks! :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not saying the textbook publishers are doing anything wrong, the people that use images from the textbook in their sets of notes and then sell their notes are the ones :p
they should acknowledge the orignal source. So if you got it from say physics in focus and they got it from wikipedia then you should acknowledge wikipedia as a footnote or in your references

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
they should acknowledge the orignal source. So if you got it from say physics in focus and they got it from wikipedia then you should acknowledge wikipedia as a footnote or in your references
doesnt legally allow them to use them in their notes if they are selling the notes

D94

HSC
N/A
There is a difference. Ethically speaking. There should be a mutual agreement between the buyer and the seller to respect each others work and not give it away.
And it is the sellers work because it is summarised and should be different (if its done correctly).
And what are you really buying when you buy a persons notes? You are just buying information that can be found on the internet that is instead condensed into a document. Essentially, you are buying the time and effort it takes to compile your own notes.
The intention of the notes were for Bill's benefit (the seller in the scenario). He compiled the notes for his own use, so whether he sells them or not, he does not ever lose out. I postulate that Bill did not make the notes with a commercial interest in mind.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
doesnt legally allow them to use them in their notes if they are selling the notes
If its a legit company then they can do it. But if it an ordinary civilian then I think they can if they reference it. Iirc from a lecture referencing them was sort of a way of paying the original author of the image or txt or whatever.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
If its a legit company then they can do it. But if it an ordinary civilian then I think they can if they reference it. Iirc from a lecture referencing them was sort of a way of paying the original author of the image or txt or whatever.
Isn't that only if they use it not for a commercial reason? Selling becomes commercial

Treelover1

HSC
The intention of the notes were for Bill's benefit (the seller in the scenario). He compiled the notes for his own use, so whether he sells them or not, he does not ever lose out. I postulate that Bill did not make the notes with a commercial interest in mind.
I agree with everything you just said. But its not a matter of whether he loses out or not. The question asked was if the situation was ethical or not. Something can have a positive outcome and be unethical as well as something having a negative outcome and still be ethical.

The fact that Bill is selling it for commercial purposes, and the buyer gives it away to others without Bills permission goes against ethical boundaries in my opinion.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
It'd be great to get the input of some people who sell their notes, just to see how they actually feel instead of us just assuming.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Under KANT's deontology, an action is ethical if it produces a great amount of happiness, Since I make half of BOS happy ... I consider spreading resources ethical,
Pls tell me more about the ethical/moral implications of "kant's deontology"

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It'd be great to get the input of some people who sell their notes, just to see how they actually feel instead of us just assuming.
Notes are rarely made with an altruistic goal in mind, ppl make notes for their own studying benefit and then pass this on to others. There isn't rly any loss if ppl are using ur notes for education and succeeding in their goals so long as they do not plagiarise

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Notes are rarely made with an altruistic goal in mind, ppl make notes for their own studying benefit and then pass this on to others. There isn't rly any loss if ppl are using ur notes for education and succeeding in their goals so long as they do not plagiarise
I understand that it isn't an altruistic mindset when making the notes, but post HSC when they make the decision between distributing them freely or charging a price it is a commercial mindset if they have chosen to sell it, as they are making a profit. There is nothing wrong with that! They poured time and effort into those notes for their own use and are definitely just in their choice of wanting to sell them to others. The question arises when other people sell them/distribute them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)