Do CS students think that the quality of CS field in this university is decreasing? (1 Viewer)

SleepingDragon

HSC
N/A
Do you think that the quality of CS field in this university's going worse and worse?

based from my experience....

my taken subjects for last session are database management system, software process management and server technology.

SPM definitely could be considered as rubbish, the tutorials were not pratical and just theoretical, the only exam could be taken back to home. moreover, the final exam questions are exactly same as the take home exam questions and the rest is multiple choices. i think that everyone can get at least D in such kind of subject easily even though he or she is not major in IT......

database management system is indeed a practical subject, however i never expected that the final exam questions could be almost similar with the last year paper. the last year paper answers were provided by the lecturer just before the final exam. there were 4 questions exactly same as the last year paper, 2 questions quite similar with that and only 1 question is totally different. it is unusual if you look at those past year papers, they are all totally different.

and server technology, well, the past year papers are not allowed to be distributed to the students, but too bad that i worried out a way to get them. with no surprise, the final exam questions were exactly same as past year papers as well.

i have to admit that my result is all based on my luck rather than my own knowledge learnt from these subjects. although it makes my academic result good looking, i really feel no proud of that

from my friend's experience, she said that during the data structure exam, one of the questions could even be cancelled casually due to wrong design.

maybe i've worried too much, but as the university which claimed themselves "strong and famous in IT&CS field", their doing is widely divergent with no doubt.

Last edited:

DooGseY

HSC
I've only been doing BIST for a semester but I have to agree that there is a lack of effort to asses us. CSCI103 was a bullshit subject, but 20 marks were participation and the exam was 80% the same as the test exam we recieved 2 weeks earlier.

Scanorama

HSC
DooGseY said:
I've only been doing BIST for a semester but I have to agree that there is a lack of effort to asses us. CSCI103 was a bullshit subject, but 20 marks were participation and the exam was 80% the same as the test exam we recieved 2 weeks earlier.
Amen to that, CSCI103 is a waste of money and time subject. Some of the multiple choice questions in the exam are same as last years. Shit lecturer and tutors also make contribution to this bullshit subject. With some tutors contradicted the lecturer all the time, meaningless feedback of assignment, random markings of assignment.

ziggyboy

HSC
I think it's the quality of CS in Australia as a whole which has decreased. In many cases, universities don't even see the difference between IT and CS. The problem stems from the belief that anything that can't directly be used in the workplace is useless, mostly pertaining to theoretical subjects. Many even claim a university degree is irrelevent in the industry since it's even possible to end up with a 50k job without one. While this may somewhat be true, many people do not understand that universities were not originally designed to prepare students for trade jobs.

Mechanics are not mechanical engineers and vice versa. My mechanic can fix my car but he can't design the next generation engine. Unfortunately in the field of CS, universities now are trying to "teach mechanical engineers how to be mechanics." I wouldn't be surprised if a Volkswagen engineer has never rotated tyres in his life.

santaslayer

HSC
All you need to know is that your degree will be able to get you an advantage over someone without one.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
All you need to know is that your degree will be able to get you an advantage over someone without one.
Also, D's and HD's look mighty fine on an academic transcript, no matter how easy they might have been to come by.

ziggyboy

HSC
hfis said:
Also, D's and HD's look mighty fine on an academic transcript, no matter how easy they might have been to come by.
You're missing the who point of going to uni. In my 3 years here I have chosen only the more challenging albeit the more substantial subjects. I didn't get HD's or D's for all of them but I sure as hell know when I graduate that I got the most out of my uni experience compared to those who took the easiest way out (by choosing the easiest subjects around). I don't feel like I've wasted my 3 years at all! I'm doing compsci because I love it, not because I was sure it'll get me the highest paying jobs. I know someone who took up literature not because it'd get her heaps of $$$ but because she loves reading.

Uni == knowledge
Uni != money <=== wrong way to go

santaslayer

HSC
ziggyboy said:
You're missing the who point of going to uni. In my 3 years here I have chosen only the more challenging albeit the more substantial subjects. I didn't get HD's or D's for all of them but I sure as hell know when I graduate that I got the most out of my uni experience compared to those who took the easiest way out (by choosing the easiest subjects around). I don't feel like I've wasted my 3 years at all! I'm doing compsci because I love it, not because I was sure it'll get me the highest paying jobs. I know someone who took up literature not because it'd get her heaps of $$$ but because she loves reading.

Uni == knowledge
Uni != money <=== wrong way to go
That really sounds very ideal and all, but passion does not usually put food on the table.
You may be the lucky few who enjoy what they do. :)

ziggyboy

HSC
santaslayer said:
That really sounds very ideal and all, but passion does not usually put food on the table.
You may be the lucky few who enjoy what they do. :)
The poster was concerned with the quality of education, not job prospects. So it's safe to say your posts have deviated from the main topic. With regards to your latest post--like I've said earlier, you don't need a degree to put food on your table. If all you're interested in is being able to sustain yourself, then you don't need a degree. Trying to get rich is another matter.

santaslayer

HSC
ziggyboy said:
The poster was concerned with the quality of education, not job prospects. So it's safe to say your posts have deviated from the main topic. With regards to your latest post--like I've said earlier, you don't need a degree to put food on your table. If all you're interested in is being able to sustain yourself, then you don't need a degree. Trying to get rich is another matter.
OK, I take it back. Esp for the people who go to uni just to learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)