Do I need legal studies for law (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
Hey gouiess, I was wandering if I wanted to be a lawyer would I need to do legal studies? Like is it expected in uni or is it optional?

If it were optional but recommended, can anyone tell me if they have done it, did it benefit them in uni with doing legal studies or was it a waste of time?

List pros n cons plssss

Also apparently scaling for legal is not really great, in terms of amount of work( I pick subjects based on the favourites and scaling)

enoilgam

HSC
You dont need legal studies to do law, it is not a pre-requisite, assumed knowledge or even recommended knowledge. In saying that, doing legal studies can give you a slight advantage in the foundational law subjects and criminal law. I did legal in year 12 and it has given me a slight advantage, but its really only good for the first year and the basics. However, I did underestimate the importance of understanding precedent and case law which I gained from legal studies, as I was suprised to notice that many people struggled to understand it when it was being taught to us in uni.

The scaling for legal is average, although you shouldnt pick subjects based on scaling.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
No you don't need it per se but some stuff you learn in legal might help with first year law

And don't pick subjects based on scaling, do the subs you love otherwise you'll regret it

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Do legal studies if you want to do it, don't pick it for the scaling you should be doing the subjects that you enjoy for year 11.

michaeljennings

HSC
As others have said you dont need it but it could be handy.

Its always best to find out about these things because in Year 10 I picked Physics because I thought you couldnt get into a decent uni course if you didnt do a science. I never ended up dropping it and got 83 for my HSC because I hated it and never studied for it

D94

HSC
N/A
If you had the aptitude for law, you'd be doing casual reading on law or something alike. Just doing the subject doesn't necessarily mean you have the aptitude for law, but learning a few (new) concepts can come in handy. Short answer, no; long answer, pick the subjects that you will do well in so you can get the marks to get into law.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
No. But, it may be beneficial for the early stages in law in university. The main thing you need is probably either Advanced or Extension 1 English. Legal Studies and a History may be helpful but is not needed.

D94

HSC
N/A
No. But, it may be beneficial for the early stages in law in university. The main thing you need is probably either Advanced or Extension 1 English. Legal Studies and a History may be helpful but is not needed.
You would need something like Modern History more than English, mainly because of the research skills in Modern and the nature of essays.

enoilgam

HSC
You would need something like Modern History more than English, mainly because of the research skills in Modern and the nature of essays.
This, HSC english is near useless for law.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
This, HSC english is near useless for law.
I would go even further and say HSC English subjects are useless for everything but Literature and forms of Performing Arts. Essay writing in other subjects will always trump English because of the focus on analytical skills.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you don't need Legal Studies for Law.

You should conisder the scaling of it if you want to do law at UNSW/USYD, cut off is like 99.7.

BUT if you want to do Law you'll probably like Legal and should have an aptitude for it, getting great results which combat any worries about the scaling :)

doug003

HSC
no you dont need to do it but i can imagine it would help you alot in uni. It would be like being thrown in the deep end of the pool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)