Do I really need to do a physics bridging course for biomed eng? (1 Viewer)

Chronicole

HSC
I'm doing b biomed eng and b science (psychology major) @ usyd and I don't know whether I really need to do a physics bridging course in the first year. I looked at the course structure and the subjects I will be doing in the first year, and none have physics as assumed knowledge. In second year some courses require physics as assumed knowledge so I was wondering if I should do the physics bridging course before starting second year. I don't want to learn it this year and then forget it so I wanted to learn it next year. What are your opinions? Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Subjects to be studied in 1st year:
Semester 1:
CHEM1101: Chemistry 1A
ENGG1960: Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
MATH1001: Differential Calculus
MATH1002: Linear Algebra

Semester 2:
CHEM1102: Chemistry 1B
MATH1003: Integral Calculus and Modelling
MATH1005: Statistics
MBLG1001: Molecular Biology & Genetics

http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/degree_id/375

J18134

HSC
Not essential but its in your best interests to help get the highest marks you are capable of

Chronicole

HSC
Not essential but its in your best interests to help get the highest marks you are capable of
I understand, I am willing to do the bridging course but I was just wondering whether it is vital that I do it before I begin first year? Would doing it in 2nd year affect me in any way? Money is an issue for me, I'm already enrolled in the chem bridging course and each bridging course is worth $350. I'm not saying it's impossible to pay but it would make life easier if I could separate the bridging courses instead of paying $700 at once.

J18134

HSC
Yeah I think that can be done. Would have to ask someone to check

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you didn't do extension two maths then do it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, since they've added intro to engg you don't need to do the core mech units in first year so you don't need to do the bridging course.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't bother doing the physics bridging course at all ever.

I did BioMed engg and medsci last year for a year and the bridging course would only help with PHYS1001 (or MECH1001(iirc) but everyone doing combined does PHYS), ENGG1800 and ENGG1802, which you don't have to do as part of BioMed engg anymore so there is no point in doing the bridging course.

Bridging courses don't help that much unless you know next to nothing IMO.

Chronicole

HSC
Don't bother doing the physics bridging course at all ever.

I did BioMed engg and medsci last year for a year and the bridging course would only help with PHYS1001 (or MECH1001(iirc) but everyone doing combined does PHYS), ENGG1800 and ENGG1802, which you don't have to do as part of BioMed engg anymore so there is no point in doing the bridging course.

Bridging courses don't help that much unless you know next to nothing IMO.
Well I don't know much about physics having not done it for HSC but I have done 3u maths, will that suffice for 1st year?

Also in 2nd year I have to do the course: ELEC1103: Fundamentals of Electrical and Electronic Engineering which puts physics as assumed knowledge so I would still need it right?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I don't know much about physics having not done it for HSC but I have done 3u maths, will that suffice for 1st year?

Also in 2nd year I have to do the course: ELEC1103: Fundamentals of Electrical and Electronic Engineering which puts physics as assumed knowledge so I would still need it right?
Yep, you'll be fine.

By the time you get to second year you'll understand that the bridging course will be useless. Don't bother.

Chronicole

HSC
Yep, you'll be fine.

By the time you get to second year you'll understand that the bridging course will be useless. Don't bother.
Oh okay. That relieves me. :)

So even for a course like ELEC1103 where it states that HSC physics is assumed knowledge, the physics bridging course is useless?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay. That relieves me. :)

So even for a course like ELEC1103 where it states that HSC physics is assumed knowledge, the physics bridging course is useless?
The assumed knowledge is of circuitry which you learned in year 10 science and like preliminary physics (they don't expand on it at all) and you can probably pick up on it by just doing the course or reading wikipedia. There is no need for the bridging course.

Chronicole

HSC
The assumed knowledge is of circuitry which you learned in year 10 science and like preliminary physics (they don't expand on it at all) and you can probably pick up on it by just doing the course or reading wikipedia. There is no need for the bridging course.
I see. I emailed a lecturer before and he replied to me today that in the course Intro to biomed eng I would need to learn about statics which is apart of HSC physics. He said that it would be fine to not take the bridging. Is statics hard to learn?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I see. I emailed a lecturer before and he replied to me today that in the course Intro to biomed eng I would need to learn about statics which is apart of HSC physics. He said that it would be fine to not take the bridging "as long as your applied Math is solid and you can visualize forces." I don't really know what he means. Is statics hard to learn?
lol, you'll learn everything you need to know about statics in like math1001/1002. you'll be fine

Chronicole

HSC
lol, you'll learn everything you need to know about statics in like math1001/1002. you'll be fine
Oh okay, thanks.

Btw, I've been reading a few threads with your posts (no stalking involved, pure coincidences) and I noticed that you changed from b mechanical (biomedical) engineering to b chemical and biomolecular engineering. Was this transition something personal e.g. change of interest or regarding future job prospects? I plan to do b biomedical engineering and I've been doing a bit of reading and the job prospects of biomedical engineering aren't too great. This concerns me a little.... Your transition, did you have to start as a first year again? Or just continue where you left off but with a different course structure? Is b chemical and biomolecular eng the same as b chemical eng at unsw? Also was there a reason that you chose to stick with usyd instead of transferring to unsw? Or was it just out of convenience?

Thank you, your advice would be much appreciated.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay, thanks.

Btw, I've been reading a few threads with your posts (no stalking involved, pure coincidences) and I noticed that you changed from b mechanical (biomedical) engineering to b chemical and biomolecular engineering. Was this transition something personal e.g. change of interest or regarding future job prospects? I plan to do b biomedical engineering and I've been doing a bit of reading and the job prospects of biomedical engineering aren't too great. This concerns me a little.... Your transition, did you have to start as a first year again? Or just continue where you left off but with a different course structure? Is b chemical and biomolecular eng the same as b chemical eng at unsw? Also was there a reason that you chose to stick with usyd instead of transferring to unsw? Or was it just out of convenience?

Thank you, your advice would be much appreciated.
job prospects for both aren't stellar
I changed because since I was doing mechanical (BioMed) I needed to do ENGG1802 which is highly physics related and made me want to kill everyone because I hate physics and engineering and CHNG1103 seemed easy (it was) and I was planning on dropping to advanced science anyways. So those were the main reasons.
My first semester was the same as chem engg/MedSc first semester anyways so it didn't matter nd I just swapped over and changed ENGG1802 to CHNG1103.
You get pretty much the same job prospects at the end but obvi the degrees are structured differently.
If I wanted to go to UNSW I would've from the start. I wanted to go to USyd so I stayed there and I didn't apply through UAC or anything so it would've been hard to stop.

Chronicole

HSC
job prospects for both aren't stellar
I changed because since I was doing mechanical (BioMed) I needed to do ENGG1802 which is highly physics related and made me want to kill everyone because I hate physics and engineering and CHNG1103 seemed easy (it was) and I was planning on dropping to advanced science anyways. So those were the main reasons.
My first semester was the same as chem engg/MedSc first semester anyways so it didn't matter nd I just swapped over and changed ENGG1802 to CHNG1103.
You get pretty much the same job prospects at the end but obvi the degrees are structured differently.
If I wanted to go to UNSW I would've from the start. I wanted to go to USyd so I stayed there and I didn't apply through UAC or anything so it would've been hard to stop.
Oh, I see. So even when you switched streams of eng, because first year was very similar you didn't have to start year 1 again when you transferred?

I know that job prospects for biomed eng aren't so great but I was under the impression that chem eng had much better job prospects. If you compared the stats according to joboutlook.gov.au chem eng is the much better one.

Biomed eng: http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/occupation.aspx?code=2339&search=&Tab=prospects
Chem eng: http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/occupation.aspx?search=&tab=prospects&cluster=&code=2331

I'm quite interested in biomed eng and I would love to give it a go but then if job prospects are low and in the end I can't use the degree, I don't see much point in doing it...

I would've thought you chose USyd because UNSW didn't offer an undergrad biomed eng. So is Usyds b chem and biomolecular eng degree equivalent to UNSWs b chem eng degree? Like are credentials exactly the same?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, I see. So even when you switched streams of eng, because first year was very similar you didn't have to start year 1 again when you transferred?

I know that job prospects for biomed eng aren't so great but I was under the impression that chem eng had much better job prospects. If you compared the stats according to joboutlook.gov.au chem eng is the much better one.

Biomed eng: http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/occupation.aspx?code=2339&search=&Tab=prospects
Chem eng: http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/occupation.aspx?search=&tab=prospects&cluster=&code=2331

I'm quite interested in biomed eng and I would love to give it a go but then if job prospects are low and in the end I can't use the degree, I don't see much point in doing it...

I would've thought you chose USyd because UNSW didn't offer an undergrad biomed eng. So is Usyds b chem and biomolecular eng degree equivalent to UNSWs b chem eng degree? Like are credentials exactly the same?
you wouldn't ever have to start first year again
Maths was common to both
Chemistry was too
Physics was too
ENGG1801 was too
And the code for both were the same the stream was very different.
And also, for you, the swap would probably be fine too, hopefully, the admin in engineering at USyd is pretty fucking hopeless though. they still haven't glanced (or have pretended not to glance) at emails I sent MONTHS ago. So have fun with that. ^_^
They really earned their awful reputation for engineering at USyd. The teaching is subpar and the administration is fucking awful. Especially for chemical engineering. ^_^ (I like Marjorie though. That was it. (the second year guy is okay too (Agnes and Vincent are fucking terrible)))

Most chem engg jobs are in mines though (afaik) which I hate. ^_^

You probs will be fine for a job if you do well and have extracurriculars and stuff.

I chose USyd because they had the BMedSc/BE and UNSW didn't.
I chose not to swap because I didn't want to do engineerings anyways. I just wanted to do a more bearable one for the semester.
I'm pretty sure they're the same.
I would fucking stay the FUCK away from USyd Chem Engg though, if I were you.

Chronicole

HSC
you wouldn't ever have to start first year again
Maths was common to both
Chemistry was too
Physics was too
ENGG1801 was too
And the code for both were the same the stream was very different.
And also, for you, the swap would probably be fine too, hopefully, the admin in engineering at USyd is pretty fucking hopeless though. they still haven't glanced (or have pretended not to glance) at emails I sent MONTHS ago. So have fun with that. ^_^
They really earned their awful reputation for engineering at USyd. The teaching is subpar and the administration is fucking awful. Especially for chemical engineering. ^_^ (I like Marjorie though. That was it. (the second year guy is okay too (Agnes and Vincent are fucking terrible)))

Most chem engg jobs are in mines though (afaik) which I hate. ^_^

You probs will be fine for a job if you do well and have extracurriculars and stuff.

I chose USyd because they had the BMedSc/BE and UNSW didn't.
I chose not to swap because I didn't want to do engineerings anyways. I just wanted to do a more bearable one for the semester.
I'm pretty sure they're the same.
I would fucking stay the FUCK away from USyd Chem Engg though, if I were you.
Haha, thanks for the advice! ^_^ Originally was gonna do unsw chem eng but usyd biomed eng seemed more interesting and more suited to my liking. Now, I dunno if I should be regretting my choice =\

But how would I get a job anyway if the availability of the jobs for this degree aren't that good? There are only a few companies which want/need biomed engineers...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do BioMed engg and major in chem. duh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)