Do state rankers usually get tutoring? (1 Viewer)

qwerty44

HSC
Some of them would. But most of them are inherently talented at their specific subject and wouldn't require tutoring.
I know some that did and some that didnt

Really no way of generalising tbh

+1

Tutoring is not the determining factor in state rankings. In fact, all the state rankers at my school never got any tutoring.

It varies across state rankers and like mirakon said, no generalisation can be made.

ahdil33

HSC
People only go to tutoring because they see everyone else going to tutoring and think it's the way to do well, and the cycle continues. Nowadays with the Internet there's way better teaching resources, even for the BOS syllabus, than any tutor can give you. The only other thing could be resources, and if you know how to use the internet/have contacts you can find them pretty easily too. IMHO mainly a waste of money, unless you need it to get you up if you like missed 2 years of school in another country or something.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a dual state ranker who got no tutoring. As with all state rankers whether they get tutoring or not, it's mixture of heart, hard hard work(main ingredient)and maybe a lil luck on the HSC day.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I know a pentuple state ranker in my cohort who did not go to any tutoring (I think).

2U Maths (2010)
3U
4U
English
Physics
Chemistry

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Know a few people from last year at my school who didn't do coaching but just destroyed and came first in numerous subjects including 4 unit maths in 2011. That being said, most of the time, you'll find the people obtaining state ranks just having a natural gift for that subject. For people like me who is an idiot, I have to get private tuition because I'm too dumb to learn by myself and I need someone to explain stuff to me :D

ismeta

HSC
People only go to tutoring because they see everyone else going to tutoring and think it's the way to do well, and the cycle continues.
Hahaha yes. I've been really worried about whether I should get tutoring for Maths 3/4U - but mainly only because > 50% of my cohort is getting tutoring for maths. (although the percentage is a lot higher for 4U - scary - makes me think that they're going to have a massive edge on me) But that said, when I talked to a teacher about it, she told me that I'm doing really well so far. And I got a state ranking for acc. IPT - but that said, it's IPT - I doubt anyone gets tutoring for that. XD That was all dedication.

I don't know about state rankings of any sort, but my mum's friend's son got an ATAR of 99.95 without tutoring, what a boss. :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In answer to your question, I'd say that most state rankers do get tutoring.

Did the tutoring they did help them get the state rank? Possibly. Was tutoring the predominant reason they got a state rank? Definitely not.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Know a few people from last year at my school who didn't do coaching but just destroyed and came first in numerous subjects including 4 unit maths in 2011. That being said, most of the time, you'll find the people obtaining state ranks just having a natural gift for that subject. For people like me who is an idiot, I have to get private tuition because I'm too dumb to learn by myself and I need someone to explain stuff to me :D
That's cause your school had a maths olympian... who is obviously blessed in maths.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
My friend topped gen maths in the state and did not get tutoring.
And some of my other friends came in top 10 in SDD and did not get tutoring
And some friends who were all-rounders and did not get tutoring

Basically, tutoring is a case-by-case basis. Works for some, not for others.

HSC
Uni Grad
They also name people who left in year 6. They put the names up of anyone who attended at some point, regardless ofcwhether they got tutoring in year 12 or not.

Also I know someone who got 3 state ranks last year without any tutoring
Who is this person btw

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it depends on the subject to a massive extent. All the state rankers in 4U, 3U, Physics and Chemistry (that I've heard of) all had tutoring but none of the state rankers I know in the humanities had tutoring (obviously).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)