Do these exist anymore? (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 series laptop here and I need a new hard drive for it. Only problem is that no one sells hard drives for it anymore.... It has this 32GB limit with hard drives so it won't see anything higher than 32GB properly, like my 80GB is detected as 15GB or so because it has tried to access the drive as 2 * 32GB drives but failed so it's moved onto seeing the last 15-16GB portion. I have the latest BIOS in that laptop, version A23 but that doesn't change the drive recognition issue whatsoever. I've tried eBay for 20GB drives and they want to charge me $50 or so for a 20GB drive which I think is overkill. I've tried some stores in Cabramatta and they don't even stock laptop hard drives. So do you guys know of any place where I can find 20GB drives?

Thanks.

Noodles88

HSC
bluesoleli said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 series laptop here and I need a new hard drive for it. Only problem is that no one sells hard drives for it anymore.... It has this 32GB limit with hard drives so it won't see anything higher than 32GB properly, like my 80GB is detected as 15GB or so because it has tried to access the drive as 2 * 32GB drives but failed so it's moved onto seeing the last 15-16GB portion. I have the latest BIOS in that laptop, version A23 but that doesn't change the drive recognition issue whatsoever. I've tried eBay for 20GB drives and they want to charge me $50 or so for a 20GB drive which I think is overkill. I've tried some stores in Cabramatta and they don't even stock laptop hard drives. So do you guys know of any place where I can find 20GB drives?

Thanks.
You could try using a 16GB flash drive i guess.

Anonymous1

HSC
It's probably not worth the trouble.

Maybe consider going for one of them small portable external hard drives (80 - 160gb in your pocket easy).

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Noodles88 said:
You could try using a 16GB flash drive i guess.
I need the drive to be bootable with an OS, unfortunately my Dell doesn't support booting from external USB devices so I am stuck. The laptop doesn't have any form of hard drive in there at the moment so it's practically a vegetable for now. I'll keep you guys updated on my quest for a hard drive.

Thanks.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
These may still exist, but it's probaly just easier (and maybe even cheaper) to get a new laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)