Do We Even Need Vista? (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Debian (and Linux in general) is only as good as the effort you're willing to put to program it. For the average consumer, it's far simpler to have that demand catered by Microsoft or Apple rather than writing your own GUI.

We don't absolutely need Vista. We could do perfectly well without any technology in fact, but it still makes it a nice piece of software to have. I would however pass on the current Vista and wait for at least SP1, seeing there are bound to be bugs, and that the OS has not been optimised yet (no antivirus for Vista out yet, horrible nVidia drivers etc).

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
Thought Mac was immune to internet viruses, trojans etc while Windows OS attract security problems like child bait attracts pedos.
Shows what you know.

The Mac isn't immune to viruses, its just that no-one bothers to develop them. Macs aren't invulnerable to an atttack, in fact, macs have been known to have numerous, significant, flaws within them.

For example, the apple wifi (forgot its name) had an vulnerability with its implementation of its wifi system to the OS, allowing data to pass by unchecked. Significant security error.

Winston

HSC
I think like any other version of Windows, the question is, do you really need it. In all honesty, most would say no, because all they hear about is "Revolutionary new UI", "Excellent Security".

Then they think, is that it? I'm paying hundreds of dollars to get just that?

No one here understands anything about Vista, but being steered by tech sites who have biased opinions. Sure they probably stuffed up in certain areas, like the good old Longhorn Reset, or the dropping of features.

Like any software, not until you've used it for a while, then you'll be like, no i can;t go back, this is similar to how XP was recieved.

Now that everyone is on XP, i'm sure a lot of people can't move back to Win9X or 2K, because you've taken for granted a lot of aspects of the OS and it's become second nature to you.

This too will happen with Vista, there are so many foundational changes, and it just can't be stressed over an Ad or a sales guy, but yourself from using it overtime.

Also i hope my post doesn't become a Linux or Mac OS war, cause if anyone attempts to go off saying "Vista is just a copy of Apple", then i am happy to give evidence of Apple copying most of it from MS as well.

To answer the Op's question in summary, hold back a bit, wait for the price to drop to a little decent, and i guess wait for Hardware vendor's to mature, and release stable driver sets, so i'd say give it a few months.

Winston

HSC
Templar said:
(no antivirus for Vista out yet, horrible nVidia drivers etc).
I think you're misinformed with AV's, AVG has theirs out, and Symantec has their corporate edition to be Vista compatible. In regards to nVidia's drivers, i empathise, i still don't have nForce 4 Chipset drivers yet :(

Winston

HSC
S1M0 said:
Why not just get Vista pirated? I know its out there, and there's already a permanent crack for it.
There isn't. I highly doubt there would be a permanent and reliable one.

First of all, there is no longer corporate licences, in the days of XP, it started off with reset cracks, then it went onto corporate keys, then that was fine, then Service Packs began to backlist corporate keys, and that called for a key generator which took many many generations for a working corporate key. Then as of recently we've got the hype of WGA, and WGA was cracked as well, but it just keeps getting improved, people with generated corporate keys were fine, but they're also beginning to not be so fine, as WGA now has certain levels of validation, where by a user can be either completely non-legit, or unsure, or legit, i wasn't too sure what unsure will do, whether or not it will give you access to updates still.

Now in Vista, we don't have the corporate key anymore, they now have two forms of activation, either through MAK or through KMS, MAK is what everyone would be using, where MAK will be assigned a number of activations for the key, and it's what retail copies and academic copies are receiving.

The only recent crack was establishing a KMS server, where people activated against it, but obviously these servers can never be forever put up and will be taken down easily. What's difficult is, KMS activations requires you to re-activate every 60 days or so. So the only potential crack i see is, perhaps, running a local KMS on your own machine that you activate against, however even then, the KMS itself will update against the MS servers.

I suppose saying a 100% crack isn't impossible, but it will be cumbersome, and in terms of receiving updates etc, it will be hell when they block you out.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Im pretty sure the latest NOD32 version is vista compatible.
Im probably gonna get vista when directx10 games come out and hopefully nvidia improve their drivers by that time lol

L

littlewing69

S1M0 said:
The Mac isn't immune to viruses, its just that no-one bothers to develop them.

No shit. However you want to say it, a Mac is at less risk of virus attack than a PC.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
just get it when you get a new pc.

haha. like the new apple ad.

got me confused, thinking it was a windows ad... the one where theres an imposter mac. what a fraud.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
holy cow, so many replies! ya'll must be suuper computer umm enthusiasts! thanks for the tips!

stephenchow

HSC
S1M0 said:
The Mac isn't immune to viruses, its just that no-one bothers to develop them. Macs aren't invulnerable to an atttack, in fact, macs have been known to have numerous, significant, flaws within them.
You said it yourself. No one bothers to develop viruses for Macs, therefore Mac is immune to these viruses. Get it?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
You said it yourself. No one bothers to develop viruses for Macs, therefore Mac is immune to these viruses. Get it?
uh, but it isn't....try reading what i said idiot.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Serius said:
Fuck vista. Hate that peice of shit software, i dont even understand the reasoning behind PAYING for an os...just download linux, its free!

its all flashy and meant to be secure, basically its shit for me because it will hamper my ability to use copied software, plus the advanced users dont really like it.

No way in hell am i going to buy it, when push comes to shove in a few years and it will be hard to do anything on xp[like windows98 right now] then i will just switch to linux and microsoft can get fucked.
I don't buy any Windows software ... lol warez

Miles Edgeworth said:
Just get a Mac
fuck mac.
i follow the windows pack.
because it cant run steam
because macs dont suit my team.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
free software = good software.

hope these fancy vista highlights are gonna be in linux soon..

nobody needs vista, they simply want it

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
p4e81 said:

Well when mobo, computa and other computa componenets manufacturers start making xp obsolete as win 3.1 then vista will be a necessity so ur claim will be valid for a while say like several years. so yeah ill stick with xp and when i get myself custom laptop/computer after like 10 years i flip out vista

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Are you retarded?

Do you spend your nights huffing paint thinner? UNIX > * you idiot, and delicious coding tools, HID guidelines, and congruent design make for a better, more secure and more enjoyable computing experience.

Surrounded by idiots. (If you want to game, get a fucking Xbox)
Mac = Overpriced piece of SHIT!

VISTA = EVEN MORE OVERPriced piece of shit.

Stick to Windows 95!.

stephenchow

HSC
S1M0 said:
uh, but it isn't....try reading what i said idiot.
Should I highlight keywords in my post so that you understand?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"these viruses" referring to viruses developed for Windows OS. Do you understand now? Should I present an analogy for you as well?

If the current strain of Bird Flu only infects only birds and not anything else, then aren't humans immune to Bird Flu? I wonder whose the idiot now.

groovejet

HSC
N/A
We need Vista to keep up with today's demands of more processing power and better visual capabilties. But the problem is, no one buys Vista because it's like Grand Theft Auto. If you buy a new computer, you are going to get it. Even if you buy Vista alone, you still need a good spec pc to run that memory eating 50million line software jimminy poo. MS is probably playing catch up to what Apple has had for a long time now with their OSX.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
p4e81 said:

They already are. You can get aero glass effects in beryl or compiz, as well as others which are even better.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Naha, I wouldn't right now

a) too many prospective viruses and security flaws
b) it's still too new for many computers to support, and XP will be the main format people work in for a few years
c) it's a waste of money--you can download the two key components of the Home Upgrade--Internet Explorer 7 and something else, for free

Just buy Norton if you're really worried about your security. And yes, burning CDs, supporting USBs, slide shows and all that? If you downloaded the correct patches, or knew how to program that, you would even be able to make Windows 98 work with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)