Do you believe in God? (2 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A
Re: Do you believe is God?

Just believe in what you want. We'll all find out one day or another. I for one believe in God because personally I have had experienced things that just cannot be scientifically explained.
1. Can't explain something.

C. Therefore God - the thing we can't see that appeared out of nowhere that can explain everything.

A real detective you are. Closing all the gaps in knowledge. Meticulous, thorough, virtuous!

jezzmo

HSC
N/A

I agree.

Up until a few years back I was never religious and had never been. I then had a near death experience (died on the operating table before being brought back to life) and after that, I have no question now that God is real and watching.
Have you ever considered that your near death was actually just a quick portal opening for the purpose of soul switching? The entire purpose of you briefly dying was so a new actor could take your place and assume all your memories. You aren't you. You are the new you - a better you, but somebody else nonetheless.

I have no doubt that this is what happened.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

Have you ever considered that your near death was actually just a quick portal opening for the purpose of soul switching? The entire purpose of you briefly dying was so a new actor could take your place and assume all your memories. You aren't you. You are the new you - a better you, but somebody else nonetheless.

I have no doubt that this is what happened.
And it is posts like that Ladies and Gentlemen, that make Jezzmo the greatest poster to have ever lived

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

1. Can't explain something.

C. Therefore God - the thing we can't see that appeared out of nowhere that can explain everything.

A real detective you are. Closing all the gaps in knowledge. Meticulous, thorough, virtuous!

Lets create a conversation between Beckett's infamous creations, Estragon and Vladimir:

Estragon: "God doesn't exist"

Vladimir: "Why not?"

Estragon: "There is no intervening God beyond whatever can be seen, thus only life as we have it, as Marx defined it – the actions of men (and of women) in pursuit of their ends”

Vladimir: "No intervening God beyond whatever can be seen? Do I exist?"

Estragon: "Indeed to both"

Vladimir: "Well of course I exist, you can see me"

Estragon: "Very observant of you"

Vladimir: "What if you were blind, would I exist then?"

Estragon: "Sure you would, I can still hear you"

Vladimir: "What if you were blind and deaf? Would I exist then? Of course I would...you would still feel me"

Estragon: "Erhm. I supposed, but I would rather not"

Vladimir: "What if all you were blind, deaf, lost the sense of touch and smell...would I exist to you then? Think about it."

Estragon: "No. You wouldn't exist to me, but yes,you would still exist"

Vladimir: "It's the same thing with God. We cannot know if a physical God exists. Perhaps a metaphysical God exists which we have no knowledge of, because we cease to sense it. Therefore, it cannot exist"

Take from the conversation what you will.

Garygaz

HSC

Lets create a conversation between Beckett's infamous creations, Estragon and Vladimir:

Estragon: "There is no intervening God beyond whatever can be seen, thus only life as we have it, as Marx defined it – the actions of men (and of women) in pursuit of their ends”

Vladimir: "What if you were blind and deaf? Would I exist then? Of course I would...you would still feel me"

Vladimir: "What if all you were blind, deaf, lost the sense of touch and smell...would I exist to you then? Think about it."

Vladimir: "It's the same thing with God. We cannot know if a physical God exists. Perhaps a metaphysical God exists which we have no knowledge of, because we cease to sense it. Therefore, it cannot exist"

that proves absolutely nothing and if you really require a rebuttal i will have to question your intelligence.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

I agree.

Up until a few years back I was never religious and had never been. I then had a near death experience (died on the operating table before being brought back to life) and after that, I have no question now that God is real and watching.
Passed out on the table whilst getting your heart valve replaced, eh?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

that proves absolutely nothing and if you really require a rebuttal i will have to question your intelligence.

I was replying to jezzmo: "C. Therefore God - the thing we can't see that appeared out of nowhere that can explain everything."

It does prove something. Just because you can't see, feel or touch something, doesn't mean it's not there.

I think the same analogy works with people who refuse to believe in God. Atheists automatically say religions throughout history have made up Gods, but they should try and understand that religion is man made. God knows no religion, God supersedes religions. God exists on a metaphysical level and people who shut their senses to this inner spiritual power obviously can't find God. Some say it's up to God to find us. But really, God does try. In this physical world, God's work must be our own. Humans are created to rebel, we are creatures who strive for freedom, that's why famous atheist-author John Fowles once said, "there is only one good definition for God: the freedom to allow other freedoms to exist".

We have the freedom to do what we wish with the time we have on Earth. We can reject/not believe in God, or we can at least accept it is not logical at all how the universe came into formation. It is more than mere chance that we exist. Hence, we can do what our ancestors sought to do. Look to nature, look to Gods creation. Look to the inner depths of spirituality and the mind, body and soul and realise that God is real.

And as for questioning my intelligence, I wouldn't expect any better from an atheist. It is arrogant to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with you is mentally deluded.

Last edited:

jezzmo

HSC
N/A

"Just because you can't see, feel or touch something, doesn't mean it's not there."
I am not saying God is not there.
God might be there.
I am not saying there are not three dead possums hanging around my neck.
The possums might be there.

You have opened up a world of schizophrenia. Assume everything is true until otherwise informed by the absence of sensory cues.

"there is only one good definition for God: the freedom to allow other freedoms to exist"
I like this. I will redeem you. You may have one pass into my warehouse party heaven thing i'm running for this world. It's fairly arbitrary, and I'm a bit of a cunt, but the parking is free and the wine is at cost.

Atheists automatically say religions throughout history have made up Gods, but they should try and understand that religion is man made.
I fail to understand the use of the word 'but' appropriately. You have made two affirmative claims. Yes, but yes.

1. Atheists say that religion makes up gods.
2. Religion is made by man.

Yes? Yes, yes. Yes yes. Patterns of affirmative. But?

Some say it's up to God to find us. But really, God does try.
For fucks sake God. I know you're old and play with time, space and dimensions. But you REPEATEDLY GET STUCK IN ONE OF THOSE CEREAL PACKET PROMOTIONS WHERE YOU KNOW FULL WELL SOME LITTLE KID IS GOING TO SWALLOW AND CHOKE ON YOU BEFORE SCHOOL AND GO TO HOSPITAL AND SUE. Your alzheimers is becoming a bit of a problem. Let Steve Jobs tinker with your GPS.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC

1. So wait, I don't understand. Why are there so many different religions/cults with different gods? They all have different thoughts about death/traditions/creation. So which one's right?

2. imo, most ideas proposed BC were never true. Earth being centre of universe, everything orbiting earth, theory of spontaneous generation - all wrong. They were all just fillers until science could catch up and prove it wrong. No shit cavemen thought there was a god because they had no damn clue what was happening around them. Now that we're all a bit older and wiser, it's time we put end to this fantasy creator and not always have to rely on science to prove everything for you?

3. So, if god existed, there's only 2 options for the creation of the universe. a) Everything turned out like it is now ie. god clicked his fingers then bam, planets, asteroids, suns, galaxies were all formed instantly. If this were true, then why is the age of different suns and such different? b) Everything started out small and started to evolve. Clumps of dust (hydrogen/helium) formed suns, planets were formed in a similar manner.

EDIT: Damn, 999th post :(

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

abrahamic conceptions and arguments of religion and theism are inevitably constituted by the dogma of their scriptures. obviously, these scriptures are irrelevant in arguing teleology, or about innate spirituality, or applying concepts such as human nature or logic, which is what is being argued in this thread. yet in attempting to argue beyond the scripture, monotheism is only one explanation, and indeed, the polytheist supposition can be seen to be far more plausible.

the adherence to a monotheist conception therefore becomes an anthropological curiosity. one explanation for this curiosity is the functional argument for a monotheistic religion. scientific progress riddled those polytheistic religions, those replaced with abrahamic monotheism, with holes (like swiss cheese). the notion that each and every aspect of life had a corresponding deity didn't make sense anymore - polytheism doesn't seem to gel with a more scientific civilization. the notion of a monotheistic god is thus far simpler. yet the average person is now in awe of science. therefore, when science fails to explain (or rather, is yet to explain) a phenomenon, the monotheistic presupposition, in its infinite parsimony, explains away all gaps in our knowledge. the basis of a monotheistic god, then, is an argument from incredulity.

there is also evidence that early single-god religions (notably judaism) began as henotheistic religions - i.e. ones that accept the (possible) existence of other gods while maintaining a supreme reverence for their own. this facilitated group dynamics such as co-existence and social/cultural/tribal mergers and acquisitions. it then seems that when such groups reach a critical size/mass and achieve a certain political dominance that they begin to assert an exclusive claim to the truth.

but that's okay for you christians, because you haven't actually been monotheists since 325CE.

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC

who cares what everyone else thinks? believe in what you believe and keep it to yourself.

antonio primo

Banned
HSC

fuck this boring thread

stop posting it you smug cunts

RANK 1

HSC

if estragon lost all those senses he would still know that vladmir exists because prior to him losing his senses he's already met vladmir. so therefore losing his senses would make no difference to his knowledge of vladmir's existence.

and its already been stated that you cannot prove good doesnt exist as there is no reliable, substantial evidence that he does exist and therefore theres nothing to disprove. however you can consider the probability that god exists, which is very low.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

if estragon lost all those senses he would still know that vladmir exists because prior to him losing his senses he's already met vladmir. so therefore losing his senses would make no difference to his knowledge of vladmir's existence.

and its already been stated that you cannot prove good doesnt exist as there is no reliable, substantial evidence that he does exist and therefore theres nothing to disprove. however you can consider the probability that god exists, which is very low.
What if you were blind all along? What if you had no senses all along? And if your senses go away after a while...does that person/thing really exist to you anymore? Why would it exist to you anymore, you can't see, feel or hear it? Does this mean existence must be based on our senses?

however you can consider the probability that god exists, which is very low.
Why is it low? What exactly makes it low?

You never replied btw:

Precisely. But from the perspective of a theist, that would be an accurate definition of God. Since a theist's definition of God, aligns to the scientific definition of energy, does this mean that God is energy?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm fascinated by the fact it's about 50:50 religious/irreligious on the forum from the sample we've got here.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
^ if you had no senses you would have no way of communicating with anyone or anything and if you were born that way you would surely be put to death.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Yes I believe in God.

I actually used to be a Christian and then became a Muslim, and haven't looked back since.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm fascinated by the fact it's about 50:50 religious/irreligious on the forum from the sample we've got here.
belief in god =/= being religious

agnostics sorta believe in god

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^ if you had no senses you would have no way of communicating with anyone or anything and if you were born that way you would surely be put to death.
I don't think existence can be based on one's ability to 'sense' their world around. However, their ability to actually understand or comprehend or know of their own existence. Do you exist, if you yourself, are not aware of it? I think so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)