Do you believe Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus Christ?? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus Christ??

• Yes.

Votes: 73 43.2%
  • No.

Votes: 83 49.1%
  • Im jew and I believe jesus was fake but its going to happen soon with the real messiah

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Not sure/confused

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Gotta say but Iron, you ended up reducing your position quite a bit in light of the logic. If your just gonna contend that its a personal relationship, no proof necessary only about love/good deeds, not gonna condemn ppl and claim absolute truths (which extend to material truths) like much of the theistic world does, then you must admit you do not represent them!

I don't see preachers from the Bible belt admitting the "probability is against them". You must sympathise with my frustration. These people are deluded with a certainty and it costs them a lot of money. They are full of rage and hate against anything non-christian and vote on such feelings appropriately for governmental representation (which affects everyone). Then you have the Islamic world...:)

Also, it its simply what you reduce it to- then that is not religion. Organised religion is a common belief- a set of "true" doctrine. Following your model, I can create my version of "god", talk to him, write down revelations, find guidance and feel that he validates my moral judgements...when I'm surfing I can ask him to produce me the best waves and praise him when I get barrelled. I can envisage him as a magnificent whale god...u can't laugh, its my relationship!

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I know.

I thought I'd try anyway :D.
haha well it worked, but it comes up "neutral" which means you havent got enough rep points to actually have a weighting.

Keep up the good thoughts and they'll flow quick enough.

Anyway,

This has been another night of "Cookies classic hits".

good times, good night.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Gotta say but Iron, you ended up reducing your position quite a bit in light of the logic. If your just gonna contend that its a personal relationship, no proof necessary only about love/good deeds, not gonna condemn ppl and claim absolute truths (which extend to material truths) like much of the theistic world does, then you must admit you do not represent them!

I don't see preachers from the Bible belt admitting the "probability is against them". You must sympathise with my frustration. These people are deluded with a certainty and it costs them a lot of money. They are full of rage and hate against anything non-christian and vote on such feelings appropriately for governmental representation (which affects everyone). Then you have the Islamic world...:)

Also, it its simply what you reduce it to- then that is not religion. Organised religion is a common belief- a set of "true" doctrine. Following your model, I can create my version of "god", talk to him, write down revelations, find guidance and feel that he validates my moral judgements...when I'm surfing I can ask him to produce me the best waves and praise him when I get barrelled. I can envisage him as a magnificent whale god...u can't laugh, its my relationship!
The foundation is a personal relationship, but the right place for spiritual growth is within Christ's church. When it comes to this relationship, I do contend that no scientific proof is necessary (indeed, the inherent uncertainty is the basis of free will), but I dont back away from taking the bible seriously, if that's what youre saying

GREMM1S

HSC
I hope this is a pisstake otherwise i'd be worried people believe in this rubbish.

GoldEyes

HSC
N/A
I hope this is a pisstake otherwise i'd be worried people believe in this rubbish.
Not a pisstake, there are many threads like this.

The "Does God exist?" thread for example.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

tbh regardless of how arrogant and how stupid it might sound (becuase i am full aware you will not have an understanding of this what so ever) but when you are in a personal relationship with God, and when you have seen answered prayer, and you have seen biblical truths come though in your own life, and when you have seen God working in your and others lifes ( by them growing in there relationship and changing), regardless of what others might say there is no doubting God.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
tbh regardless of how arrogant and how stupid it might sound (becuase i am full aware you will not have an understanding of this what so ever) but when you are in a personal relationship with God, and when you have seen answered prayer, and you have seen biblical truths come though in your own life, and when you have seen God working in your and others lifes ( by them growing in there relationship and changing), regardless of what others might say there is no doubting God.
anecdotal (testimonial) evidence - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

I do also suggest you research the psychological literature (peer-reviewed, critically tested) on the nature of human belief itself, its cognitive structure and origins. Why not also youtube the Derren Brown "Conversion" video where through the power of suggestion (Derren is a massive skeptic/stage illusionist) he is able to "convert" an atheist to admitting belief in god within about 2 minutes.

Lastly, read up on the principle behind "Subjective Validation." Statements such as "when you have seen biblical truths come through life..." straight away made me think of this. Basically it is the same reason why 1 million people can read the same astrology prediction and find a "personal relationship" and message with it. In summary, be careful with all the instant trust you hold in your perception, your brain is far more complicated then you know. Good luck :)

Last edited:

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
just to highlight the fallacy of your logic...

tbh regardless of how arrogant and how stupid it might sound (becuase i am full aware you will not have an understanding of this what so ever) but when you are in a personal relationship with a giant, loving, invisible bag of red rock deli chips, and when you have seen answered prayer, and you have seen "revealed" truths come though in your own life, and when you have seen a giant, loving, invisible bag of red rock deli chips, working in your and others lifes ( by them growing in their [sic] relationship and changing), regardless of what others might say there is no doubting a giant, loving, invisible bag of red rock deli chips.
Let's try and keep the discussion rational.

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
just to highlight the fallacy of your logic...

Let's try and keep the discussion rational.

Haha, that just made me come up with an idea. I just want to start saying that some bull**** happened, until they say that they won't believe it until they see it (hopefully they will be religious), and then I'll just say "But hang on, you believe in God, you haven't seen him/her, have you?"

Worship_BBJ

HSC
guys, why do you waste time of tards like mcflystargirl? ffs, no matter how much logic you shove in their face they are brainwashed imbeciles. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE THEM. YOU CANNOT!

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
guys, why do you waste time of tards like mcflystargirl? ffs, no matter how much logic you shove in their face they are brainwashed imbeciles. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE THEM. YOU CANNOT!
I know...it's just fun to troll

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
Haha, that just made me come up with an idea. I just want to start saying that some bull**** happened, until they say that they won't believe it until they see it (hopefully they will be religious), and then I'll just say "But hang on, you believe in God, you haven't seen him/her, have you?"
Exactly

A giant, loving, invisible bag of red rock deli chips, is just as viable as an epistemological position as is the nature of "god" (an unknown entity).

There is an infinite amount of substitutions that could be made here.

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
I know...

SOMETIMES people see the light and have left evangelical thinking. I mean one of the greatest skeptics today (Derren Brown mentioned above) was an evangelical until his twenties, now full blown atheist.

If we don't try, the virus spreads...

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
The foundation is a personal relationship, but the right place for spiritual growth is within Christ's church. When it comes to this relationship, I do contend that no scientific proof is necessary (indeed, the inherent uncertainty is the basis of free will), but I dont back away from taking the bible seriously, if that's what youre saying
Free will is inconsistent with omnipotence/omniscience

Its purely a later invention of apologists to counter the problematic nature of evil, the lacking in Christian ethics and the general logical fuck up that Christianity is under the scope of a philosopher.

I don't even think the concept is "free will" is biblical, then again I would never waste time reading such a ludicrous forgery, so correct me JC if I'm wrong, yo

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
but see regardless of how much i look at either side of the argument it seems logical to believe in God.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Free will is inconsistent with omnipotence/omniscience

Its purely a later invention of apologists to counter the problematic nature of evil, the lacking in Christian ethics and the general logical fuck up that Christianity is under the scope of a philosopher.

I don't even think the concept is "free will" is biblical, then again I would never waste time reading such a ludicrous forgery, so correct me JC if I'm wrong, yo
all you have to do is read genesis the first couple of chapters to see that free-will is biblical
God told adam and eve not to eat the fruit or they will die, they sinned (by there own free will) and died and brought death into the world
God does not make anyone sin, we do it ourselves

As to whether accepting God or not is our choice, I do think that God elects some to be saved.

Worship_BBJ

HSC
but see regardless of how much i look at either side of the argument it seems logical to believe in God.
belief in GOD IS NOT THE SAME AS BELIEVING VIRGIN BIRTHS, WALKING ON WATER, RESURECTIONS, TALKING THROUGH BUSHES etc etc. fucking use your fucking brain

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)