Do you feel "let down" when the teacher asks you to summarise? (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
I learn almost nothing from summarising. To me, it is like the teacher doesn't care, and is being lazy, making you just write stuf from the text. They're paid to teach, and I don't consider this teaching.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
its about refinement.
the most valuable part of summarising for me is breaking down everything i know to its smallest point one session, and then the next re-expanding it into its most complex form from the basic.

nrs1990

HSC
I don't always learn from summarising, but it does give me notes -- which I use for memorisation -- so I think it's still useful.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thommy said:
I learn almost nothing from summarising. To me, it is like the teacher doesn't care, and is being lazy, making you just write stuf from the text. They're paid to teach, and I don't consider this teaching.
Summarising is a very important skill for a student and one that a good teacher will teach you and insist on you practising.

Research requires you to summarise ideas and facts to get the essentials and it isn't just learnt by a process of osmosis.

In addition the majority of research into how students learn tells teachers that students who do their own summaries and therefore 'own' their notes (as opposed to copying teacher made notes from the board) do learn the material far better than those who simply copy notes.

It isn't the teacher being lazy but rather developing a skill that education experts believe is essential for students to have.

sherylbobbins

HSC
While I agree with what everybody is saying, teachers who make us summarise out of a book because they don't know what they're teaching can be considered lazy and really quite offensive lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)