Do you guys think I should repeat or not??(its urgent) (1 Viewer)

tracy...

atra
HSC
i'm in yr.12 now and i did 2005 HSC for both 3 and 4 Units Maths
i got 93 for 3U
and 88 for 4U
im just wondering if i should repeat or not
some of my fds said that it's not gonna make any big difference if i repeat
and they would like to spend more time on other subjects...
any suggestion??
(my goal is 95+UAI)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Accelerated 2005 HSC IPT

* 4th in the year out of 55+
* Band 5 | 86 HSC mark

Well I was in the same position as you at the end of last year myself. Considering there was only 1 person in my year who got a band 6 I did excellent ( I thought) :).

I like you had thoughts of repeating the course again and did talk it over in great detail with my teachers, parents and friends. I was told if I did it again I COULD get a band 6 and I SHOULD get the same rank or higher. But of cause there was no certainties anything could of happened this year that would of caused me to end up with a worse mark and since they would of taken this years mark if it was worse then in 2005 it would of all been for nothing.

3 and 4 unit Mathematics are very high ranking subjects and the marks you got were excellent, well done btw. I can’t and other BOSers can’t say for absolute certainty if it will make a big difference because it all falls back on you and what you put back in, having already done the course you may get a bit slack thinking you know it all, however not knowing you I can’t say.

I assume like myself your plan all along was to finish the course have it out of the way and again study sessions without dropping a subject. If you know that not having these subjects means that you will work on your other subjects more then that is another factor to consider.

My friend decided to repeat IPT he got band 5 | 89 HSC mark and is striving to get a band 6 in all his subjects but we won’t know if he is success until the marks are released.

In conclusion the decision falls solely on you and you have to decide what is best for you wether that be repeating or not and weighing up your decision with your other subjects and what you could achieve in those.

I hope a my story and advise can help you and I hope I replyed quick enough. Welcome to BOS tracy… good luck with your HSC and your decision.

*Awwww that was long*

shellsbells15

HSC
dead set, why the hell are you asking people like us, we are all in your position, not one of us has any idea what we are doing, ie scaling marks etc. you need to talk to teachers who actually know what they are doing... cos i kno me and my friends sure as hell hav no idea whats going on

i don't think you should base the most important year of your life on advice from 17 year olds

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Do you want to repeat? Are you willing to put the effort in? If yes, go ahead. If you couldn't be bothered, they are excellent marks for 3U and 4U, and if you don't want to repeat, I wouldn't advise that you do. You won't do as well.

If you do want to repeat, and you're confident of getting better marks, go for it. Aim high and nail it. :)

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
shellsbells15 said:
we are all in your position
Actually we are not exactly in her position, other than kid.@dmin, she is considering repeating, we are doing it first time, big difference. :)

Tracy- I think those two marks are excellent, you should be pleased with that result, definitely going to account for your 95+ target UAI. Unless you're really confident that you can do BETTER than that, I would say to hold on to those results and do 6+ units this year.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
tracy... said:
i'm in yr.12 now and i did 2005 HSC for both 3 and 4 Units Maths
i got 93 for 3U
and 88 for 4U
im just wondering if i should repeat or not
some of my fds said that it's not gonna make any big difference if i repeat
and they would like to spend more time on other subjects...
any suggestion??
(my goal is 95+UAI)

Hmmmm...if anyone alive understood the HSC scaling system then it would be easier, but since no one does, here goes:

You want a UAI of 95+ why? Do you have a specific course in mind? At a specific uni? Given that you've already accelerated and completed the courses perhaps you should be looking at a scholarship based upon academic merit. You certainly seem to have enough intelligence. And try talking to the university your aiming for, perhaps they'll assist you? Their are other ways around a UAI. Stil, your chances of getting 95+ are good.

By the way, how could you stand doing the courses again. Wasn't once painful enough.

P

pLuvia

Those marks are excellent, but you should know if you obviously do it again you should get higher, but if you don't then it would be sad. As Enlightened One said it would be quite boring :p

How many units do you have now? Already knowing that MX1 and MX2 takes a lot of your study time, it might bore you :p But doing 6 units + if you don't repeat gives you many free periods, like half your study time cut down so you can spend it on your other subjects.

Well it's your decision, if I were in your shoes I would probably only repeat MX2 :p

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
wow, if you could manage marks like that then i dont think you'd need to repeat to get that 95 UAI. if you really think you could do better than that (but they are seriously awesome marks) then do it, but only if you are certain that you can do better and are willing to work to get there. if not, you will be disappointed. whatever you choose, all the best. :D

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Yeah with marks like that, no way I would be repeating. I got an 87 in chem and I was thinking about repeating........but with those marks, I would be real suprised if you didnt get over a 95. You got 4 units down already so that should lessen the load for your other subjects for sure.
Good Luck
And nice results

a8o

HSC
maybe my marks will put it in perspective for you:

modern 93
ancient 97
english 93
economics 89
eng ext 47
hist ext 46

and i got 98.55. i believe 3u and 4u maths will do as well if not better than my subjects in calculation of your UAI. don't bother repeating.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I agree with a80. You might not be aware of the massive scaling effect of maths ext 1 and 2. Just try and ace all the rest of your subjects! Put it this way- your 88 in ext 2 math is roughly equivilant to my 95 in drama, and also close to a80's 97 in Ancient history! (in terms of contribution to UAI).

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
a8o said:
maybe my marks will put it in perspective for you:

modern 93
ancient 97
english 93
economics 89
eng ext 47
hist ext 46

and i got 98.55. i believe 3u and 4u maths will do as well if not better than my subjects in calculation of your UAI. don't bother repeating.
great marks ! =]

lala2

Banned
HSC
It also depends how many units you're planning to do this year (without 3U and 4U Maths), and how many extra frees you would get out of not doing 3U and 4U Maths. Personally, I think if you are bent on repeating, you should only do 4U Maths, as 3U Maths has an excellent mark. Again, with marks like those and in such good scaling subjects, you should get your UAI of 95+ very easily. I personally wouldn't want to repeat, just because you'll get bored with the content, having already done it once, and you have other units to worry about too.

P

pLuvia

If you do 6 units, you will have so many free periods, that could be useful if you use it well.

nwatts

HSC
pLuvia said:
If you do 6 units, you will have so many free periods, that could be useful if you use it well.
Since when does anyone ever use free periods well?

Raginsheep

HSC
If you repeat and drop, do you keep your original mark? If so, redo 4u, and get 90+ but great marks none the less.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
sif repeat!!1

with the added pressure of more exams, more subjects, study hw and etc
your probably better off focusing on your other subjects and kicking ass in them.
Whilst alreading having good marks for your maths.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Raginsheep said:
If you repeat and drop, do you keep your original mark?
If you repeat you will not keep your original mark even if it is better then your repeated mark. Once you repeat you are stuck with whatever mark you score in that HSC.

P

pLuvia

Yeh that's a big risk when repeating :p think wisely, but usually you do better than before

Raginsheep

HSC
Meh...doing well in 4u has alot to do with hard work and I'm sure that an extra year can reap the benefits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)