• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you like maths? (1 Viewer)

Do you like maths?

• Yes

Votes: 329 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
"maths is everywhere, people should understand that everything that they do can be determined by maths. "- my maths tutor who is doing his masters in mathematical theory and education

I find maths useful and practical, but sometimes just that bit to tedious.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
marcquelle said:
"maths is everywhere, people should understand that everything that they do can be determined by maths. "- my maths tutor who is doing his masters in mathematical theory and education

Well that's probably because you're more of an english orientated person but that's ok - I mean as I said we're all different.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
marcquelle said:

you should see me in my 5.3 maths class (they only offer 5.3 at our school), i'm usually reading a book or writing a story. but it is tedious, i agree with you. i'm very grateful that there are people in the world who like maths though, because if everyone was like me the world would be screwed... :p

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yeah, its not that i don't like maths i can do it, its just something about maths exams that get to me, they are the only exams that scare me and then i f-up whenever i think i do good, that why i dis-like. But i have passion for maths, i find it simple and enjoyable just not doable in an exam capacity.

But yes i do <3 english

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
supercalamari said:
you should see me in my 5.3 maths class (they only offer 5.3 at our school), i'm usually reading a book or writing a story. but it is tedious, i agree with you. i'm very grateful that there are people in the world who like maths though, because if everyone was like me the world would be screwed... :p
whats 5.3 maths?

is that Stage 5 mathematics level 3?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
5.3 is the highest level for school certificate maths.
don't ask me to explain it further, i have no idea. check out the board of studies website if you like.

oh, i <3 english too... :)

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
The trend from the thread called "Do you like english?" shows that there are more people who hate English than people who like English. Then, what about maths?

Do you like maths? (maths in any level, doesn't have to be in subject level)
best subject ever.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
hollyy. said:
no, love! ps and qs everywhere! lol. i love maths.
OMG. I just spent 2 hours doing Parametrics (my school hasn't learnt it yet, but I'm determined to get ahead :wave:) and I finally get .. most of it. Yay.

the-derivative said:
LOL same - I used to hate maths in years 7-8, then it became interesting in Year 9 when I did the Year 10 course (quadratics, trigonometry) and it's a lot more interesting in senior years (Applications of Calculus in the Physical World and also Investment and Owing - probably the most interesting topics in my opinion).
Oh yes that was the most interesting. I think 3u maths made me like maths ... it's the best.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
OMG. I just spent 2 hours doing Parametrics (my school hasn't learnt it yet, but I'm determined to get ahead :wave:) and I finally get .. most of it. Yay.

Oh yes that was the most interesting. I think 3u maths made me like maths ... it's the best.
LOL - parametrics will be the most annoying topic, it's not even that interesting. :p

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i like how the prelim course just brings everything that you've learned into a nice cohesive bundle; after discovering that i'm actually not shit at maths, i really regret not doing 3U. it's difficult to discern whether you're good at a subject like english because a fair percentage of it can be at times, conceptually untenable.

HSC
i like maths because its so logical and not subjective- you're either right or you're not

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL - parametrics will be the most annoying topic, it's not even that interesting. :p
Damn. All that studying for a boring topic. I must say though, my favourite is Calculus :D
Melisoverschool said:
i like maths because its so logical and not subjective- you're either right or you're not
Yeah not like English. English discriminates your own thinking. You just have to say what the teacher thinks, not what you really think.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Damn. All that studying for a boring topic. I must say though, my favourite is Calculus :D

Yeah not like English. English discriminates your own thinking. You just have to say what the teacher thinks, not what you really think.
I agree with both points.

Calculus is the best math related topic - and it gets really interesting when you study projectile motion, simple harmonic motion.

Also English is stupid - they want you to express your thoughts, yet you'll get marked down if a marker does not agree with your thoughts - hypocritical.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
I agree with both points.

Calculus is the best math related topic - and it gets really interesting when you study projectile motion, simple harmonic motion.

Also English is stupid - they want you to express your thoughts, yet you'll get marked down if a marker does not agree with your thoughts - hypocritical.
SHM from what I've heard, isn't too simple :p

Oh yes, English is a damn subjective subject. The marking criteria is crazy too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)