Does an edu degree in legal studies and history qualify you to teach social sciences? (1 Viewer)

laila09

HSC
Hey Guys!
I was wondering if you become qualified in the education degrees of history and legal studies at university would that allow you to teach a range of social sciences at schools like HSIE- geography and society and culture, buisness studies etc.
Or could you only teach history and legal?

Sorry about all the questions!
:eek:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Does an edu degree in legal studies and history qualify you to teach social scien

Hey Guys!
I was wondering if you become qualified in the education degrees of history and legal studies at university would that allow you to teach a range of social sciences at schools like HSIE- geography and society and culture, buisness studies etc.
Or could you only teach history and legal?

Sorry about all the questions!
:eek:
There are two issues here - are you qualified to teach a subject based only on what you have studied at uni - yes.

Can you teach a subject that you haven't studied at uni - yes.

I last studied Geography in Year 12 and never studied Commerce/Economics (going to a school that didn't offer them might have been a reason for that of course) but I regularly teach Junior Geography (Years 7 - 10) and have taught Commerce to Year 10 as well. HSIE departments, depending on the size of the school, will often require you to teach outside your specialty in the junior years. If you are sufficiently interested then you could also ask the HoD to allow you to teach them at a higher level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)