Does anybody actually studying ipt know much about computers (1 Viewer)

redshift

HSC
From my understanding from a few ppl that i know that do this subject in other schools, they say that they don't actually know hardly anything about indepth things in computers and only can do the basics.

Is that what many students doing this course are like.

*was their a course that actually involved indepth looks into programming and system running and all that sorta stuff?

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
my top students from the past 2 years never did Computer studies in Yr9-10
both thought they were at a disadvantage, even though I told them they werent, they just worked hard at the course and had a basic knowledge of computers

programming is in SDD
system running ?? sounds like Information Technology

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you use computers alot then that'll be an advantage.. things like using Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.. will definitely give you alot of help later on in the assignments. If you want more "real" stuff, maybe SDD is for you. I like to think I know quite a bit about computers and so on, and to me IPT was really easy as a result of that knowledge I think.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Have to agree with Lwaxana the top students in the class of 2006 HSC are not what you would call the best and brightest at computers they know all the general skills but not much more.

I sometimes think that can be better as they know that they have to study harder to gain an understanding of the course matter and computers involvement in these systems. On the other hand 2005’s top five students from my school (which included me) all had a vast knowledge in computers so it all depends on how much your willing to study and work hard to achieve the desired result....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To me, I found year9/10 computing to be very similar to yr11/12... so it made the yr11/12 work seem very repetitive in that sense- as in, learning the different types of data, the vector/bitmap graphics, lossy/lossless, etc.. but a lot of this sort of stuff is common sense/common knowledge and if you use the PC alot, you've probably come to understand the difference between a ZIP file and an MP3 file. In the test, you are asked to name programs which you could use, so this is another section where just memorising a textbook won't save your ass. Ultimately, if you can combine your theory and practical knowledge into one, then you will go really well in the course and in the exams.

For the record; I came 4th in state.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
i do IPT and SDD, but i know alot bout computers, programming etc and i came 1st in both this year. I found both relatively easy.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i did computing studies in years 9 and 10 and didnt really learn much in them which helped me in IPT.. the main thing i remembered was system flowcharts and algorithms... but i had a basic idea of everything going into the course which helped i guess.. came first anyway!

Lexie1001

HSC
i did computing in yr 9/10 but i found it had very little to do with ipt in 11/12. some of the girls in the year 11 class at the moment who never did it before are coming first. obviously it helps if you know how to use computers, like powerpoint and basic paint programs, but our teacher taught us how to write html and do animations anyway.

in truth, ipt has very little to do with practical computer skills aside from the assessments...its more about information systems and how they are used in computers. its nothing like year 10 sc computing skills. and as lwaxana said, if ur looking for programming, do sdd.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's definitely advantages in general computer knowledge though such as what programs can do what- I remember thinking in the IPT exam; man it must suck for those ppl who only study this subject out of a textbook.

rama_v

HSC
I never did computer studies in year 9 or 10 but I am pretty good with computers, and I find it helps a lot. Proficiency with essay writing also helps in this subject for the longer questions.

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
one of my hobbies is knowing about computers...heck i could put one together...but i still do IPT and i rip the class hehehe

Pace_T

HSC
McHectic said:
one of my hobbies is knowing about computers...heck i could put one together...but i still do IPT and i rip the class hehehe
reality check - its easy to put a computer together. but still thats not really knowing that "much" about computers..

my whole ipt class didnt know much about computers, just how to type in microsoft word, and go on msn, apparently :p

i dont think my previous knowledge of computers helped me much at all. except for the communications topic for routers bridges and cables n all that stuff coz thats all really common in lanning and other network configurations

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In the exam if you had used programs like Flash and Photoshop then certain bits of the exam were piss-easy such as "What program would you use to make an animation" kindof thing... Things like that aren't in textbooks (or if they are- it sucks if you have to "memorise" them).

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
McHectic said:
I built my first computer when I was 11...its easy. Putting one together doesn't mean jack.

Yes, I think it does help to have prior knowledge of computers, though I didn't do it in 9/10 I had previous knowledge and find the course pretty easy. However, there are other students in my class with no prior knowledge who are doing great!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Word of advice- a lot of people seem to think they are acing IPT until they get the exam results from the HSC. Don't fall into the overconfidence trap =]

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Khmerunited said:
anytips of this year ipt HSC?
i did computer studies in yr9/10 as well, didn't help much, on the other hand most of the people in my IPT class we're from computing studies. Most of the important stuff (i.e. like that diagram of an information system) is covered in yr10 briefly.. but also covered again in yr 11..

Khmerunited: Work hard and study; knowing alot about computers (previously) doesn't mean you can EASILY get a band 6 in IPT..

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
For the past 2 years my top students were those who didnt do Yr9/10 Computer Studies.

The CS students think they know it all and tend to under achieve while the ones who didnt do CS think they are at a disadvantage and so work harder.

:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)