Does anyone believe in God and the Theory of Evolution? (1 Viewer)

blah88

HSC
I do.

You might just say that I'm just a confused idiot.
I believe in the existence of a greater being that created life but also belive that organisms have worked their way to continue thier speices. I believe that about 2000 years ago, Jesus was born and lived his life in the similar way the New Tastement has described. I believe that God created the orgins of life and which he shaped till they were self-sufficient. The probabality of life forming just by chance is near impossible. I don't believe that life started just by chance.

Some people takes the Bible fundamentally and belive that God created everything literally in 6 days. (on the last day he had a rest, remember?)
Some other people belive that every living organisms were originated from single cell and evolved into multi-cellular oraginisms and so on. Many of these people also aggressively attack the Bible, claiming that the Bible is inaccurate and has contradictions. A fraction of these people get scientific and philosophical during making attempts to disaprove the existence of God. I know these kind of people and I understand thier thinking (They are very logical, intelligent and only believe in what they see.) However, I think before these people get scientific they should consider this: Do they know what happens after you are dead apart from your body not functioning? NOBODY KNOWS (except for the people who had Near Death Experience although some might argue that it's a mental thing) except us God believers who know that our souls will be judged before God and go to Hell or Heaven depending on what we did during our lives or on the probablity of God forgiving your sins.

However I do not belive that the world was created 4000 years ago due to historical records, ancient artifacts, carbon dating and many other things.

I take the Holy Bible as a code of morality and belive that this book is meant to be taken metaphorically. (it is pretty interesting and worthwhile reading the Bible and i recommend anyone reading it when they are bored) The Bible was written a long long time ago by humans therefore there will be some flaws. The Church was also ran by humans which meant that the things they said and did had some flaws in it.

I almost forgot, some non-believers say If there was God why doesn't he make the world perfect and don't let anything bad happen?
If you had a child, and he or she wanted soemthing would you give him or her anthing (and i mean anything). Would you teach your child a lesson or two (punish) if he or she did something wrong? (But then some people might argue that wrong people are being punished e.g. natural disasters and other tragic incidents. I don't know why. Only God knows)

By the way I'm Catholic

Now I read it, this essay-look-alike thing is extremely fragmented but I can't be bothered to fix it.

Anyways thanks for reading this document and please leave any comment if you do belive in both God and the Theory of Evolution or want to oppose my theory in a nice manner.

Last edited:

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
hmm. well, I sort of agree. I think evolution makes sense, absolutely. But also I can maybe grasp the concept of some sort of god kick-starting the whole process. Jesus I can't hack though, I don't understand how god and jesus match up... are they the same? If so, how can jesus be his own father?? Also whether jesus is a man or a god or whatever...
so yeah, I'm confused too. I go to a Christian school and I think basically everything they tell us is bull. I HATE the 6 day creation thing!
evolution makes way more sense.

Bank$

HSC
I find it VERY HARD to believe that a god exists
I reckon that people use god to explain things that they cant e.g. why does lightning fall--- Because god throws it.

Also i find it EVEN MORE HARD TO BELIEVE that random books written a long time ago can be used to base our existence on

What i find IMPOSSIBLE to believe is that why people change religions. The fact that people change religions hint to religions being like THEORIES which u change and modify to LOOK CORRECT.

I 100% support evolution over creation

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm moving this to Hobbies/Interests. Just doesn't seem to be NCAP worthy enough. If I let it stay in ncap, everyone will just pour out their various spiritual beliefs and expect a coherant thread or discussion about it, which I doubt can successfully happen.

If you want to discuss religion in a debate-like way, you can try and search the current religious threads in NCAP. From memory, these are "Does God Exist" and "Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good?".

lengy

HSC
More like there should be a Fail Forum for this to be moved to and laughed at.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My biggest problem with most Abrahamic religions is their ideas on an entry to heaven.

Such criteria always leaves me feeling thinking that if God exists, God is unjust.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
blah88 said:
I do.

I believe in the existence of a greater being that created life but also belive that organisms have worked their way to continue thier speices. I believe that about 2000 years ago, Jesus was born and lived his life in the similar way the New Tastement has described. I believe that God created the orgins of life and which he shaped till they were self-sufficient. The probabality of life forming just by chance is near impossible. I don't believe that life started just by chance.

Some people takes the Bible fundamentally and belive that God created everything literally in 6 days. (on the last day he had a rest, remember?)
Some other people belive that every living organisms were originated from single cell and evolved into multi-cellular oraginisms and so on. Many of these people also aggressively attack the Bible, claiming that the Bible is inaccurate and has contradictions. A fraction of these people get scientific and philosophical during making attempts to disaprove the existence of God. I know these kind of people and I understand thier thinking (They are very logical, intelligent and only believe in what they see.) However, I think before these people get scientific they should consider this: Do they know what happens after you are dead apart from your body not functioning? NOBODY KNOWS (except for the people who had Near Death Experience although some might argue that it's a mental thing) except us God believers who know that our souls will be judged before God and go to Hell or Heaven depending on what we did during our lives or on the probablity of God forgiving your sins.

However I do not belive that the world was created 4000 years ago due to historical records, ancient artifacts, carbon dating and many other things.

I take the Holy Bible as a code of morality and belive that this book is meant to be taken metaphorically. (it is pretty interesting and worthwhile reading the Bible and i recommend anyone reading it when they are bored) The Bible was written a long long time ago by humans therefore there will be some flaws. The Church was also ran by humans which meant that the things they said and did had some flaws in it.

I almost forgot, some non-believers say If there was God why doesn't he make the world perfect and don't let anything bad happen?
If you had a child, and he or she wanted soemthing would you give him or her anthing (and i mean anything). Would you teach your child a lesson or two (punish) if he or she did something wrong? (But then some people might argue that wrong people are being punished e.g. natural disasters and other tragic incidents. I don't know why. Only God knows)

By the way I'm Catholic

Now I read it, this essay-look-alike thing is extremely fragmented but I can't be bothered to fix it.

Anyways thanks for reading this document and please leave any comment if you do belive in both God and the Theory of Evolution or want to oppose my theory in a nice manner.
Surely a book that is God breathed must be taken literally and not so wishy washy like you're claiming it to be. It concerns all of our souls.

Taking the Bible for the mere didactic element seems to me an attempt to keep the Bible relevant for modern day.

And even then, to use the Bible as a metaphor is a dangerous act. We all interpret things in different ways.

lengy

HSC
But they'll counter that with the fact that it may have been mistranslated from its original form in Hebrew and shizzle. :rolleyes:

findaway

HSC
I must admit, I believe in both. And no, I don't think the whole bible can be taken literally, bcause if it was then the whole world would be screwed with christians doing crazy stuff.

mr_maguuoo

Pope John Paul II recognised the theory of evolution. It's specious to suggest the two are incompatible.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
of course the two are compatible
darwin's theory tells us that variation is possible within species, not that one species can actually transform into another eg ant--->elephant. so i dont see how that contradicts religion in any way

WOOT 500 posts!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
findaway said:
I must admit, I believe in both. And no, I don't think the whole bible can be taken literally, bcause if it was then the whole world would be screwed with christians doing crazy stuff.
Did you bother reading my post?

findaway

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Did you bother reading my post?
Yep, but TBH I don't agree, it'd be more fucked up if we took it all literally. Jews'd all be running around killing all the 'gentiles' and saying god's on their side, and christians would be having serious issues in marriage, becuase the bible does say women are meant to be doing everything the male wants. That's just one example.

And taking the bible metaphirically is not wishy washy, it's finding deeper meaning than just what is on the surface. It's taking out the fact that it was written for an audience that lived 2000 years ago and putting it into our own context, and from that we can get the same messages that were originally given to it's original audience.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You miss the point. I'm not saying that taking the Bible literally is the right way to go. I am saying that there is fault when you become selective about what you will and won't take in from the Bible. I am critiquing the way in which what one must do as a Christian when it comes to the idea of reading.

"Deeper meaning". Well you're probably going to learn in the HSC very soon that you can create various meanings from even one sentence alone. Don't you see how problematic this is?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
blah88 said:
I do.

I believe in the existence of a greater being that created life but also belive that organisms have worked their way to continue thier speices.
Ok, why do you believe that? I don't think that evolution and god are necessarily incompatible but I do think you're probably applying radically different types of argument in support for both of your beliefs.

I believe that about 2000 years ago, Jesus was born and lived his life in the similar way the New Tastement has described.
That he did all those magic tricks? Why not just pretend evolution is merely an illusion then? If you want to believe such magic tricks are not only possible but have been used by god on earth such a theory is equally plausible.

I believe that God created the orgins of life and which he shaped till they were self-sufficient.

The probabality of life forming just by chance is near impossible.
How do you come to that conclusion? We have no way of knowing. Besides this argument is like saying 'the probability of me existing, talking to you on bos right now etc is near impossible, thus this is all fate' - ALOT of what we do every day could be considered 'near impossible' just by 'chance'.

By the way, i hope you don't imagine evolution works 'just by chance' but instead are speaking more holisticly about the universe in general.

I don't believe that life started just by chance.
Do you believe a butterfly outside, flapping its wings in this timeframe etc isn't mere chance?

Why not? Some people take the bible fundamentally and believe Jesus rose people from the dead... both of these claims seem equally silly to me, personally, and I imagine you'd have real trouble defending why it is you accept one magical event and not another.

Some other people belive that every living organisms were originated from single cell and evolved into multi-cellular oraginisms and so on.
That's me.

Many of these people also aggressively attack the Bible, claiming that the Bible is inaccurate and has contradictions.
The vast majority of people who believe this are apparently christian.

A fraction of these people get scientific and philosophical during making attempts to disaprove the existence of God.
It's a fairly important question in some ways...

I know these kind of people and I understand thier thinking (They are very logical, intelligent and only believe in what they see.)
A better way of phrasing it is, only believe in what they have evidence for.

However, I think before these people get scientific they should consider this: Do they know what happens after you are dead apart from your body not functioning?
It appears to me that nothing apparent happens, we can at best choose to be agnostic on this issue but I'd argue if you were asked 'Does a dog ever talk' and you sat around watching it for a year, you'd come to the provisional conclusion that Dogs probably don't talk.

NOBODY KNOWS (except for the people who had Near Death Experience although some might argue that it's a mental thing)
It is a mental thing, unless you want to ignore evidence... which makes me wonder why you even bother believing in evolution?

except us God believers who know that our souls will be judged before God and go to Hell or Heaven depending on what we did during our lives or on the probablity of God forgiving your sins.
I'd say that's probably a mental thing as well... You don't 'know' anything and I'd wager you probably fear your end as much as I do.

That's good.

I take the Holy Bible as a code of morality
I don't think you really do, I imagine what you probably do is already have your moral decisions, then what agrees with your morals in the bible you choose to accept, what doesn't you pass off as metaphor.

and belive that this book is meant to be taken metaphorically. (it is pretty interesting and worthwhile reading the Bible and i recommend anyone reading it when they are bored)
I've read it and I did christian studies in years 9/10, SOR year 11/12 as well as a fair amount of general interest work. St Augustine, Aquinas etc are actually some pretty creative guys :)

The Bible was written a long long time ago by humans therefore there will be some flaws.
How do you decide what is flaw and what is not? Is what is flaw that which you already have a moral problem with?

Some do... some don't really care to play these games anymore.

I would, but then again I'm a mortal dealing with the situation in the best way I can. God's God... he has unlimited options.

By the way I'm Catholic
I was christened catholic :)

-----------------------------------------------

Yep, but TBH I don't agree, it'd be more fucked up if we took it all literally. Jews'd all be running around killing all the 'gentiles' and saying god's on their side, and christians would be having serious issues in marriage, becuase the bible does say women are meant to be doing everything the male wants.
Who are you to question god's judgement? This is silly, you might as well not even have a bible for a moral code because you've already decided your morals and you just change the bible to make it suit you.

And taking the bible metaphirically is not wishy washy, it's finding deeper meaning than just what is on the surface.
Deeper, wishy washy, meaning.

It's taking out the fact that it was written for an audience that lived 2000 years ago and putting it into our own context, and from that we can get the same messages that were originally given to it's original audience.
Oh so what we do is take Gods message, make it suit our current lifestyle/additudes, then claim the bible says we're morally virtuous? This game is easy.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I believe in both.
EDIT: Well I don't "believe" in Evolution, moreso accept it as fact

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)