Does anyone else think we are given way too much time? (1 Viewer)

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
For certain exams e.g. Physics and Chemistry.

I'm bringing this up because I have my Physics trials in about 6 hours (all-nighters FTW!) and have been cramming past papers all night and have found that I'm finishing these exams much more quickly than the allocated times.

35 minutes to do those 20 MC questions? Most are pretty easy and I think they could be done in 15-20 minutes. In the short answers part you are given 1 hour, 40 minutes, tbh they could be done half the time too and 45 minutes is way too much for the option topic.

The whole exam including the option section could be completed satisfactorily in about one and a half hours (provided you know your shit), half the time you're actually given.

Agree? Disagree? How long does it generally take you to complete a practice paper? How long did it take you to do your trials? Discuss.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'll somewhat agree with you here - especially for Phys and Chem. English and Maths, not so much - I've never really finished any of those exams early. But Physics and Chem, yeah.

In the Trials, I finished both around an hour early. However, in the HSC, I actually took up the 2 hrs and 30 mins, and had only 30 mins to check. [Also, I am class of 09, so I had 15 MC, and more short answer]. Don't know why it took me longer in the HSC, it's not like it was more difficult or anything. But I ended up doing better in the HSC for both Physics and Chemistry, so yeah.

Practice papers always took me a lot less to do, 1 hr 30, 1hr 45 mins tops

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
a lot of herp derps do phys/chem and they need more time.

jamesfirst

HSC
Yes I finished Physics, Chemistry, 2 Unit, 3 Unit, SOR with 30 minutes to spare. None for english, I think english is too constrained

Memi

HSC
N/A
I agree. The only subject I have real time constraints with is English. For Chemistry, I have plenty of time left over.

chels777

HSC
i found the same time i finished bio in an hour and a half and chem within 2 hours english i usually finish around ten minutes early but all my other subjects i was writing the whole time i really need to learn to take my time more with bio and chem

khfreakau

HSC
English I am always pushed for time. Time is marks in english.
Eco I can be pushed depending on the paper, particuarly if the extendeds are screwed up.
Phys yeah, tends to be way easy to finish on time.
3U maths, just did my trial today. got to question 7 in one hour lol - go figure.
4U maths hahaha. always not enough time, but it's a good challenge and it is possible to finish within allocated time if you have a good day.

Aindan

HSC
agreed - plenty of time for phys and chem but you always want time to check cause of all the tricks

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
I'm bringing this up because I have my Physics trials in about 6 hours (all-nighters FTW!) and have been cramming past papers all night and have found that I'm finishing these exams much more quickly than the allocated times.
Ugh there was a question about 'Wien's displacement law' which isn't even a part of the syllabus!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law

Was only one mark thought...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Disagree.
I like going through and planning my exams before I start. Then doing multichoice then going through and adding to planning. Then doing the exam. Then checking over. This usually gets me finished pretty much exactly on time. :p
Although I think I might have too much time in maths because I usually do all I can do in like 2 hours for mx2 and like 1 hour and 30 minutes for mx1. But I'm glad I have the time to go back and try to get a few extra marks out on shit I have no clue about.

HSC
Uni Grad
English - need that time, because 1 min is a lot of time
3U - still need 2 hours
4U - need those 3 hours
Legal Studies - hmm i finish with 15 min but then again spend a lot of time thinking about BS on the spot
Music II musicology - need all that time, since its all constrained

robertm

HSC
N/A
I could always use more time. It's never too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)