Does anyone know how to surf? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
I'm currently looking into random sports for a project at school and i was wondering if anyone here could tell me if they surf, different techniques, blah blah. Thanx :)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
Yeah, i know *tear* Oh well, there's a couple of beaches at newcastle, but they're pretty fez. What's the best beach you've ever been to? and, is it true that nearly every guy who surfs plays guitar?

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
go speak to atticusfinch, um.. , or katietheskatie

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
reporting...
surfers here include myself, katie, cappen, bowman, golferjim, spedkid01, mmm_sofay, um... and dawso
though im probably the one who talks about it the most

i predominantly bodyboard but i can stick ride as well...
i surf around gong, but im originally from the south coast

with bodyboarding you have two main styles,
prone (lying down)
drop knee (one knee standing)

prone has two basic techniques which govern arm placement on certain waves
on a left breaking wave your left arm should be grabbing the let tip of the board with your fingers wrapping around the side, while your right arm should be holding onto the dead centre of the right rail. this is reversed on right breaking waves
refer to my signature pic for an example of prone

dropknee is a little more difficult. depending on which way is most comfortable you will either have your right or left leg in the dropped position and the other the knee is pointing down
this is drop knee

Last edited:
HSC
yeah, i do .. i can hit you up with information about whatever, but i don't know exactly what you're after.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
from what i was taught about riding a surf board there are two methods to gettng up and there are two diff stances
goofy and natural... just like on a skateboard you put whichever foot forward feels comfortable and natural...
there are two methods of getting up (from what i understand please correct the names and methods if im wrong coz its been a while since i rode a stick)
1. is the toe and and spring where in one fluid motion you get to your toes and then stand (the advanced method)
2. the dropknee method. you get one knee up and then use it as a balance to stand up completely (for learners)

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
yea 1st thing buy a surfboard
2 move to the coast
3 go to a beach with good waves if its your first time go some where were there is going to be life guards

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
2. the dropknee method. you get one knee up and then use it as a balance to stand up completely (for learners)
this way is fucked, especially when some people get stuck in a rut of doing it like that. i don't recommend it at all.

and whether you're goofy-footed or natural-footed doesn't really have any correlation with being left or right handed (or footed). but sometimes each type of those surfers is suited to a different type of wave ie whether it breaks left or right, because it kinda determines which way you're gonna be facing (for example i hate facing inwards towards the wave)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
katietheskatie said:
this way is fucked, especially when some people get stuck in a rut of doing it like that. i don't recommend it at all.

and whether you're goofy-footed or natural-footed doesn't really have any correlation with being left or right handed (or footed). but sometimes each type of those surfers is suited to a different type of wave ie whether it breaks left or right, because it kinda determines which way you're gonna be facing (for example i hate facing inwards towards the wave)
hence the term backhand and forhand
its the same with drop knee on a bodyboard

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
Dr_Gorgeous said:
Yeah, i know *tear* Oh well, there's a couple of beaches at newcastle, but they're pretty fez. What's the best beach you've ever been to? and, is it true that nearly every guy who surfs plays guitar?

I wouldnt say ALL male surfers play guitar, but alot of surfers i know do...if not guitar, then some other musical instrument!

You need to be more specific in what you need to know...

Besides, every surfer has their own technique...

I know alot about the history of surfing in Australia (from Society and Culture)...so if you need to know anything on that PM me...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
I know alot about the history of surfing in Australia (from Society and Culture)...so if you need to know anything on that PM me...
as do i about bodyboarding...
and that guitar comment? haha good one... you will find that ALOT of bodyboarders love hardcore punk music (its in so many videos)

HSC
no kidding .. and jack johnson-ish kind of music. i mean i love that kind of music, but everyone's like "oh katie shut up with your shitty hippie surfer music"

chelsea georgeson was just on tv, she won teahupoo :D wooot, she's my favourite ever.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
katietheskatie said:
no kidding .. and jack johnson-ish kind of music. i mean i love that kind of music, but everyone's like "oh katie shut up with your shitty hippie surfer music"

chelsea georgeson was just on tv, she won teahupoo :D wooot, she's my favourite ever.
chelsea is ranked 2nd now...behind that chick from Peru!! yay chels!

i hate punk music (no offence to any1 who likes it cos every1 has different tastes)

go Xavier Rudd, The Beautiful Girls, Jack, Ben, Dave Matthews, The Cat Empire, Michael Franti!!!!

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
i need to go beach trippin one day... try out all the different beaches. my friend goes to forster like every holidays to 'see her boyfriend'...we all know better *evil laugh*

HSC
sped_kid01 said:
chelsea is ranked 2nd now...behind that chick from Peru!! yay chels!

i hate punk music (no offence to any1 who likes it cos every1 has different tastes)

go Xavier Rudd, The Beautiful Girls, Jack, Ben, Dave Matthews, The Cat Empire, Michael Franti!!!!
who, sofia? yeah, she's awesome.

the beautiful girls kick ass. too bad they've pissed off to america and are too cool for australia now apparently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)