does anyone know why im just plain bad with makeup? (1 Viewer)

jazzbaby

HSC
for my formal i went to napoleon and they did my whole make up for $80 and like they full taught me how to do it in the future..u should go there and get them to do it for u and then you'll leearn :)

*Minka*

HSC
Firstly, you will get better! I look back at the pictures from when I started learning to do my makeup and my god, it looks awful compared to what I do now! I agree with the suggestion to go to Myer and have someone show you the best way to do it and also what will cimploment your skin :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I plan on doing just that as soon as I get some disposable income.

Mum never wears much makeup, and it's all very old-school so I need someone to teach me how to apply it. Simple stuff like covering pimples, proper eye makeup technique etc.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
emiliieee said:
pfft who needs makeup.
when u can save ur money for other stuff
I use to think the same. And I use to think "it helps with your confidence" as some cry of self esteem issues. But it does. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's the same as putting a prettier summer dress and feeling good about the way you look.

However, speaking of money, I wish I had an older sister to tell me which products to use. The hundreds of dollars I must've blown over my lifetime as trial and error, goodness gracious. Smudgy eyeliner, clumpy mascara, ugly lipstick, etc. It's only now that I'm almost 21 that I have the quality products I will stick with. I've been teaching my boyfriend's sister to apply eyeliner etc and which one's to use. Wish I had that advice.

jenchowdhury

HSC
jazzbaby said:
for my formal i went to napoleon and they did my whole make up for $80 and like they full taught me how to do it in the future..u should go there and get them to do it for u and then you'll leearn :)
napoleon products and their full course is not always good.. however i suggest doing maybe a short course or so in make up (could be as long as a day or more) and thatll put u in the right track, as well as teaching u which products are good and bad. however napoleon wouldnt be advisable for this, as they only practice with their own products and as stated before.. theyre products aren't all that great.

SpoonSamba

HSC
for foundation i find maybelline wonderfinish the best, its lighter than others and dries to powder so its not so cakey. And i love my green concealer, its the greatest and it saves the effort of trying to find a concealer thats the right shade for ur face.

but i need more matte blushes/bronzers/eyeshadows and stuff because everything i buy alwaya ends up having so much glitter in it and i end up like WOW DISCO BALL FACE, anyone know a brand that sells good matte make up for cheap?

and i recommend while ur learning with makeup stick to basics, dnt go crazy with the eyemakeup and stuff til u have some kinda abiliity. And do not touch liquid eyeliner til u nail the pencil lol it can be so baddddd. lol yes personal experience coming through here now...

Skeeta

HSC
have a look at makeupalley.com

they can help guide you to some good products, they are ranked on quality, price and packaging i believe. Good place to start.

jayciiee

yallah shoe cuz byeee
HSC
napoleons a waste of money. why dont you stick with what you have now, experiment, blend, mix and match? I'm sureif you learn to twist your makeup around and manipulate it to the way you like ie. mixing lipgloss colours or using your liquid eyeliner differently, you'lll save heaps of money. dont do what i did - waste so much money. makeup is good in small portions. overdo it and you're the new krusty.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
someone recommend me a good compact foundation (not powdery, the other kind that comes with a sponge). preferably $30 or under, i'm not terribly cashed up right now. :eek: i've been using bottled liquid foundation for ages but i tried out some of mum's compact stuff that she never uses and the coverage was so much better for some reason. i don't know what brand it is because the label has been scratched off or something, i can't tell.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
someone recommend me a good compact foundation (not powdery, the other kind that comes with a sponge). preferably $30 or under, i'm not terribly cashed up right now. :eek: i've been using bottled liquid foundation for ages but i tried out some of mum's compact stuff that she never uses and the coverage was so much better for some reason. i don't know what brand it is because the label has been scratched off or something, i can't tell.
clinique perfectly real.

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
shortstraw999 said:
im 18 and ive finally decided dark eye circles+ red bags need to go.. (yes im a bit of a latecomer but my parents are pretty strict and entirely against makeup)

i empty 100 dollars at the supermarket and buy covergirl matte foundation (a light and a dark shade so i can mix them to get my face's colour), brown undereye concealer ( i was told yellow and green concealers counteract colours better.. but no one seemed to really use them) , powder, a brush etc...

when it finally comes down to the practicals however, im at a total loss :( i dont get it! its meant to be so easy!

with foundation : it looks flaky on my skin, or matt - ed, as in, like a mat.. it doesnt look smooth and like natural skin.. with concealer, the redness under my eyes fade slightly but its still very clear and distinct.. my dark circles look even starker against my skin..

ive seen tons of girls cover up their under eye circles completely, and i really really want to be do that as well :( does anyone know wat im doing wrong? is it technique/ brand? (i admit i was a bit cheap in choosing just covergirl and maybelline :D but i Was buying all my makeup in one go)

o and, has anyone been at this stage and progressed past it? pls give me some inspiration ^^

Thanks!!! any advice would be much appreciated, sorry for the very wordy post :)
first of all about the flaky skin - try a moisterizing primer such as the napoleon auto pilot. it both moisterizes your skin and allows foundation to glide on with absolute ease.

I think the best concealer I've ever used has got to be napoleon one with three colours (a yellow, a cream and a dark brown). Press your 4th finger (not sure of the technical term lol) into the one you want (i like cream, only cause i'm farely white) and 'roll' your finger under your eye, from the centre to the outskirt. it doesnt have to be perfect - as long as you can see a visible difference, your foundation with cover it.

Also, don't use a sponge to apply your foundation - use a foundation brush, with upwards strokes - then if need be even it out with a sponge. A good foundation such as the Amarni satin(??) finish is also good for dry skin, and leaves you with this really smooth dewy look. If thats a bit pricy for you, try the napoleon china doll collection.

If you buy the right foundation, you won't need a powder for over the top. That is unless you want a bronzed/pink look, then I'd probably reccomend MAC skinfinishes. However these are really rare, and sell faster then hotcakes when their released. I'd suggest http://www.ebay.com - the american site is far cheaper for brands such as MAC, urban decay etc. Try and buy from powersellers who have 99.8% feedback and list lots of items that you'd buy - this way you can save on postage by combining it.

P.S. everyone goes through the stage. It's a matter of trial and error before you work out what suites you best, and how to cover all the flaws. lol. oh and then theres http://www.pursebuzz.com but now were getting a bit more technical.

Goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)