Does ATAR increase if I get an E4 in an extension subject? (1 Viewer)

HSC
We were discussing this today in school, and my teacher said "guys, getting an E4 in extension English will boost your ATAR!" But some students argued that it's not necessarily the case. Can someone please explain lol?

leehuan

HSC
So long as marks are higher, they will increase your ATAR lmao

The debate was probably over to what extent does English Ext 1 get scaled

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You know that E4 is the highest you can achieve for extension subjects right? I'm sure you know this is and it should be common sense to know that achieving an E4 will help increase your ATAR. This doesn't only go for extension subjects, maths extension, chem, phys, etc also increase your ATAR if you achieve a band 6.

D94

HSC
N/A
We were discussing this today in school, and my teacher said "guys, getting an E4 in extension English will boost your ATAR!" But some students argued that it's not necessarily the case. Can someone please explain lol?
What was the argument?

HSC
You know that E4 is the highest you can achieve for extension subjects right? I'm sure you know this is and it should be common sense to know that achieving an E4 will help increase your ATAR. This doesn't only go for extension subjects, maths extension, chem, phys, etc also increase your ATAR if you achieve a band 6.
Yeah I know that, but my teacher was basically saying that kids who do extension will get a higher ATAR regardless because extension subjects are 'special' and will cover up for advanced? She gave an example where a kid just passed extension and his ATAR went from a 91 to a 98 or some shit like that? Lol, what the heck I don't even know how accurate that it!

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah I know that, but my teacher was basically saying that kids who do extension will get a higher ATAR regardless because extension subjects are 'special' and will cover up for advanced? She gave an example where a kid just passed extension and his ATAR went from a 91 to a 98 or some shit like that? Lol, what the heck I don't even know how accurate that it!
Lol no, that most certainly did not happen.

There's nothing special about extension courses.

Expect a low ATAR if you do poorly in any subject.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If you're teacher meant it in that way, then that's where he/she is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)