Does bad prelims affect early entry in UOW? (1 Viewer)

imaqueencard

HSC
Hi guys, I'm a year 12 student but I've just been in Australia for nearly 1 year so I'm a bit confused. I missed a half of year 11 (I moved to Australia in may 2023 and started year 11 in the middle of term 2, before i had just gone to school in my country). Due to language barrier and different education systems, I was in hard time, especially with prelims. I got around B and C for all of my subjects and idk is that bad or not. Results from all of my assessment tasks in term 1 year 12 is around B and B+ and i will try to do better. Do you think it's possible for me to get an early entry in UOW this year, I want to do bachelor of communication and media. Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While they are not outstanding, your year 11 results may be sufficient in allowing you to receive an early offer for your chosen degree. I think that it would be reasonable to assume that this would be the case since the ATAR/selection rank requirement for the Bachelor of Communication and Media is 70. An ATAR of 70 is considered to be an average ATAR. While UoW's Early Admission scheme does not consider students' ATAR's, the requirement could provide an idea/indication of year 11 grades that would be sufficient to receive an early offer for this degree. Based on this, you may have a reasonable chance of receiving an early offer.

Additionally, there are sections in the application process for UoW's Early Admission scheme that you can capitalise on, which can perhaps indirectly support your application. The two sections of interest in this case are:
  • The "Additional details" section - If you have experienced some sort of hardship in year 11 and/or year 12, you could include such information. You may wish to consider whether moving to Australia at this stage could be an element to discuss.
  • The "Qualifications" section - UoW states that you can upload your year 12 half-yearly report or trial HSC results.
Both of these sections may contribute positively to your application, especially if your performance in year 12 is of a higher standard compared to your performance in year 11. This is because it would demonstrate resilience despite hardship as well as a noticeable performance improvement in year 12, both of which may indirectly support your application.

I hope this helps! 😄

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Hi guys, I'm a year 12 student but I've just been in Australia for nearly 1 year so I'm a bit confused. I missed a half of year 11 (I moved to Australia in may 2023 and started year 11 in the middle of term 2, before i had just gone to school in my country). Due to language barrier and different education systems, I was in hard time, especially with prelims. I got around B and C for all of my subjects and idk is that bad or not. Results from all of my assessment tasks in term 1 year 12 is around B and B+ and i will try to do better. Do you think it's possible for me to get an early entry in UOW this year, I want to do bachelor of communication and media. Thank you!
Yeah you'll be fine everyone that I know that applied early entry (even ppl that studied 0 and got <50% marks) got in, some even got honours engineering and stuff. Also if you don't get it (unlikely) there's still year 12 direct entry and uac rounds so don't worry too much

imaqueencard

HSC
While they are not outstanding, your year 11 results may be sufficient in allowing you to receive an early offer for your chosen degree. I think that it would be reasonable to assume that this would be the case since the ATAR/selection rank requirement for the Bachelor of Communication and Media is 70. An ATAR of 70 is considered to be an average ATAR. While UoW's Early Admission scheme does not consider students' ATAR's, the requirement could provide an idea/indication of year 11 grades that would be sufficient to receive an early offer for this degree. Based on this, you may have a reasonable chance of receiving an early offer.

Additionally, there are sections in the application process for UoW's Early Admission scheme that you can capitalise on, which can perhaps indirectly support your application. The two sections of interest in this case are:
  • The "Additional details" section - If you have experienced some sort of hardship in year 11 and/or year 12, you could include such information. You may wish to consider whether moving to Australia at this stage could be an element to discuss.
  • The "Qualifications" section - UoW states that you can upload your year 12 half-yearly report or trial HSC results.
Both of these sections may contribute positively to your application, especially if your performance in year 12 is of a higher standard compared to your performance in year 11. This is because it would demonstrate resilience despite hardship as well as a noticeable performance improvement in year 12, both of which may indirectly support your application.

I hope this helps! 😄
That's great, thank you so much for your clearly explaination!

imaqueencard

HSC
Yeah you'll be fine everyone that I know that applied early entry (even ppl that studied 0 and got <50% marks) got in, some even got honours engineering and stuff. Also if you don't get it (unlikely) there's still year 12 direct entry and uac rounds so don't worry too much
Thanks for your help! I just feel a bit stressed now so i want to make sure do i have any chance to earn my spot at UOW early

nsw..wollongong

HSC
ull be fine, ppl who didnt even do any science prelim subjects got into premed with a scholarship. ull be okay <33

HSC
Dude, I have this one friend who got like Ds and Es in year 11 but managed to get early entry into some 95 atar comp sci course at Wollongong with a scholarship. I think you will be fine. Make sure to apply though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)