does DUX=smartest??? (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
this is jus a follow up from ultimate's thread

we had two 'duxes'. one guy did harder subjects(4u maths, physics, some others) the other guy did subjects like pdpe, physics, 3u maths...and chem.

one guy definitely had harder subjects over all....but the both came equal positions in our internal assessments. is that fair???

i think coz the guy...even if he did 'easier' subjects, he still performed well and should b rewarded likewise....and he was.

but do ppl agree wid this way? should they b judged on their UAI. u have to take into consideration dat they r released after skool is over....and many ppl wont come bak for a presentation.....also in waiting such a long tym the charm of being the DUX is lost?

wat do u guys fink?????

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I think once people complete the HSC and officially finish school, dux loses its importance in the wide scheme of things. Nno one cares about it, because they aren't at school any more and they have more important things to think about.

It's hard to say really, that if someone beats you in you UAI then they are smarter. I mean possibly they worked harder during the year, there are so many factors that come into it.

No system is perfect but I think that the UAI is much more accurate in determining a student's overall academic ability with respect to the rest of the state, in contrast to competing internally in school.

I mean if you were to compare a person who got a UAI of 88 to one that got 99, I think you could safely say that the 99 person was smarter.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
well who's to say the person who did the 'easier' subjects wouldn't beat the other person if they did the same subjects. The guy who did 'easier' subjects probably just did them because he liked them.

Rahul

Dead Member
dats wat i mean...is dux for the student who has got the highest mark or who has worked the hardest in his/her own subjects. or is the d mark (UAI) dat should determine that.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
i reckon dux should be straight out UAI. Highest achiever regardless of scaling, level of work. Full stop.

Rahul

Dead Member
yes well dat posts a problem.....after getting the UAI.....the school is finished and as i and ultimate have mentioned b4, the charm of being the dux is lost.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the person who has the higher uai doesnt mean that he/she is smarter in everything and in the bigger scheme of things it doesnt matter ...

Rahul

Dead Member
actually i think it does matter...if someone can get a good UAI, their can do wat they want. if aren't able to do wat they wante to initially...then it can be a big problem...so in the big scheme of things it does matter. so getting the higher UAI is of a lot of significance.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
how bout they scrap the whole dux thing??

nah.. ppl wouldn't be happy

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
whether they have a dux or not ... there always is one for each year and school ...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
no way....having a DUX is pretty important...u noe tradidtions and stuff
yeah else i won't be too happy cuz i am the dux:p

yer

Well at my school, they named dux from internal assessment, the guy does easy subjects like history, bio and religion. In UAI he got 93 and there were 6 99s UAI at my school, he wouldnt even make the top 30 at my school, lucky for me my school names the official dux from UAI, so im happy receiving that honour

Rahul

Dead Member
hey yer.....how did u find out dat u got dux?

and also is the school gonna have u come bac to recieve ur dux award?

yer

Well i find out by asking around and i went to school and they told me i got the highest

I dont think there is a presentation but i do get my name on the plaque

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
dux is not necessarily smartest but one who is generally smart to sart with and works hardest (generally)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
I dont think the UAI should be regarded as a measure of overall acedemic ability because some of those ppl may have worked at varying degrees which puts them at their position. You cant really measure acedemic ability but you can measure acedemic performance, thats what the UAI does.

the Dux should be awarded to the person with the highest UAI because they have outperformed others acedemically.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by routemarker
I dont think the UAI should be regarded as a measure of overall acedemic ability because some of those ppl may have worked at varying degrees which puts them at their position. You cant really measure acedemic ability but you can measure acedemic performance, thats what the UAI does.

the Dux should be awarded to the person with the highest UAI because they have outperformed others acedemically.
Nothing can measure academic ability anyway ( but I think that your UAI is what comes closest to it).

The UAI is an attempt to show the overall academic performance of a student with respect to the rest of the state. Thats why uni's use it as a means of selecting students, as a guide to how students will perform in first year and other years.

I agree dux should be awarded to the person with the highest UAI it's as simple as that. And in answer to the qeustion, I don't think dux = smartest.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
There were full issues at our school about the girl who got dux. She ended upp getting the highest UAI, but in the trials, she went into an exam, then decided she felt sick, after seeing the paper, and got an average of 95, which was like 5 marks higher than the highest trial mark. Most people do better in assesments than exams anyway, so there was a big outcry, but her mark stuck. Then she got dux, and every one was bitching.

BUT, she did totally different subjects to everyone who came like 2nd and 3rd, doing all humanities when everyone else did sciences. So yeah she worked hard, but considering that the school didnt do any scaling, it doesnt mean that she is smarter than those who didnt get dux.
Besides, I think its better to be good at a range of things, not just academics.

alys

our school did some sort of tricky thing to try and predict who'll get the highest uai, based on internal assessments, and award dux on the basis of that. sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. they also have another award for highest uai. last year, the girl who was dux was beaten in uai by two guys who were awarded equal top uai. this year, as far as i can tell, they got it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)