Does God exist? (8 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
hermand said:
no, that's fine. i can understand that people like going to church etc. just through my life experiences i feel that that is what it seems to be to me. i suppose i actually only have a problem with catholicism, as i went to a catholic school for four years and wasn't catholic. i didn't take it very well to be told that i wasn't a good person just because i wasn't catholic. i dislike being told how to live my life also.

hmm, but the thing i don't get is why do you have to compare yourself to perfection? that would just depress me, as i think the point in life is to just be the best person you can be, and if that's good enough to keep you happy then that's fine.

just out of curiosity, what denomination of christianity are you?
I'm actually lutheran.

The perfection you are talking is more of what to aim at, what you should try to be. If you can try and follow the guidelines, i suppose it kinda sets you up for a good life. i mean, most of the laws in the bible have values that are reflected in a secular life.

i went to primary school and we had a catholic nun that came to school in kindergarten for RE, and this nun told me i'd go to hell forever, because i told her that a mole on her face looked funny. i cried for like two days haha

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yeah i see the logic in that. i actually think a lot of the morals and values in the bible are good ones to live by.

that's horrible!! haha. i think i just dislike religion because i had it shoved down my throat for four years.

but you present and interesting and valid point.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
hermand said:
i think i just dislike religion because i had it shoved down my throat for four years.
yeah i know what you mean there. i dont like it either and i feel uncomfortable when it's happening to others around me lol

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hermand said:
no, that's fine. i can understand that people like going to church etc. just through my life experiences i feel that that is what it seems to be to me. i suppose i actually only have a problem with catholicism, as i went to a catholic school for four years and wasn't catholic. i didn't take it very well to be told that i wasn't a good person just because i wasn't catholic. i dislike being told how to live my life also.

hmm, but the thing i don't get is why do you have to compare yourself to perfection? that would just depress me, as i think the point in life is to just be the best person you can be, and if that's good enough to keep you happy then that's fine.

just out of curiosity, what denomination of christianity are you?
we don't have to compare ourselves to perfection. we are imperfect. the good news of jesus is that we are imperfect, but through jesus' death we can be made perfect in god's eyes by accepting his salvation. its not about trying to be good. i completely resent any christian that has insinuated that.

christianity is not about striving for perfection. there is no such thing as a bad christian.

we can talk more in english haha

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i think we achieved a nice little understanding there. =]] haha.

ps. i like the quote in your signature.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
gibbo153 said:
christianity is not about striving for perfection. there is no such thing as a bad christian.
not even a christian murderer?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hermand said:
not even a christian murderer?
not even a christian murderer.

jesus' sacrifice is a gift to all. all who accept it.

if osama bin laden decided to become a christian he would recieve the same grace that we do.

there is no level of goodness or badness in regard to gods perception of us

only perfect or imperfect. we are on par with osama and his gang, and also on par with all the 'good' people in the world.

everyone is imperfect. only jesus lived a perfect life, and because he died for us god's wrath was taken by him, and all we have to do is accept that he died for us and saved us, and thats it.
=]

ps i still havent done additional material haaaaa

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
hmmm see i can't accept that.

i haven't felt the need to shoot or blow anyone up in my life, and all those who have had their fun [for want of a much much better word] but then at the last minute decided maybe i shouldn't have done that, then they're now considered on par with everyone else. that just doesn't sit right.

haha, admat. where would we be without it. i handed mine in but couldn't print out the fourth, so just emailed it to him. wow it was shit. haha.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gibbo153 said:
we don't have to compare ourselves to perfection. we are imperfect. the good news of jesus is that we are imperfect, but through jesus' death we can be made perfect in god's eyes by accepting his salvation. its not about trying to be good. i completely resent any christian that has insinuated that.

we can talk more in english haha
You basically just contradicted yourself.

hermand said:
hmmm see i can't accept that.

i haven't felt the need to shoot or blow anyone up in my life, and all those who have had their fun [for want of a much much better word] but then at the last minute decided maybe i shouldn't have done that, then they're now considered on par with everyone else. that just doesn't sit right.

haha, admat. where would we be without it. i handed mine in but couldn't print out the fourth, so just emailed it to him. wow it was shit. haha.
You're fuckin awesome. 4unit math pride!

X

xeuyrawp

gibbo153 said:
jesus' sacrifice is a gift to all. all who accept it.
Well that's not really a sacrifice to all, is it?

Don't you think it seems a little unfair that non-Christians who have no chance to convert to Christianity (even though they may still lead good lives) burn in hell, while murderers receive the grace of god?

That being said, your interpretation of the Bible is wrong. It is clearly stated variously that those who act poorly will be judged, whatever the hell that means.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
tommykins said:
You're fuckin awesome. 4unit math pride!
haha. four unit maths. is it sad that i'm in love with the subject? i think it is. but ohwell. haha.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Well that's not really a sacrifice to all, is it?

Don't you think it seems a little unfair that non-Christians who have no chance to convert to Christianity (even though they may still lead good lives) burn in hell, while murderers receive the grace of god?

That being said, your interpretation of the Bible is wrong. It is clearly stated variously that those who act poorly will be judged, whatever the hell that means.
his interpretation is not wrong, if someone really truely desires to know God, he will provide a means of that happening, it is all in God's Control.

how is it not a sacrifice

the bible also says we are all sinners and all deserve hell

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
his interpretation is not wrong, if someone really truely desires to know God, he will provide a means of that happening, it is all in God's Control.

how is it not a sacrifice

the bible also says we are all sinners and all deserve hell
see, i don't agree with that. that's the demeaning stuff i'm talking about. i wouldn't want to believe in a god that say i should burn in hell, no matter how hard i try to be 'good'.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
hermand said:
see, i don't agree with that. that's the demeaning stuff i'm talking about. i wouldn't want to believe in a god that say i should burn in hell, no matter how hard i try to be 'good'.
but you are trying to to be 'good' based on your own strength not God's it is God that does the changing of us not ourselves

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but you are trying to to be 'good' based on your own strength not God's it is God that does the changing of us not ourselves
if i want to be 'good' though, i want to do it off my own back, not give credit so some guy up in the sky, who we're not really sure exists anyway.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
well, you are not sure he exists i am sure he does.

I have seen people try and change with out God, it is 10x harder and even then they are not saved. we all need God

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
who's saying i need to change though?

i'm pretty happy with my life, i don't drink, do drugs or anything like that. i swear on the occasion, and procrastinate on bos but that's about the extent of my rebelliousness.

why do i need god?

and how do you know 100% that god exists?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
it is called faith, i have seen him work in my life, answer my prayers, and his word provide the guidance i need when i need it, all these things i do not believe are coincidence

because if you do not have God you ultimatly go to hell, i know it is not nice but that is reality

EDIT: i thought the same before i became a christian and i did not realise how much sin was in my life, and still is until i became a christian

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
what about the people [eg, muslim, buddhist, etc] that never had a chance to convert to christianity because they've never left their home country, do they burn in hell too? because then they're doomed from the time they're born. how fair is that?

i also don't believe in a god who can let kids die so young, when they have so much to live for.

so god hasn't ever answered my prayers, even when i did believe in him.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hermand said:
haha. four unit maths. is it sad that i'm in love with the subject? i think it is. but ohwell. haha.
great subject really, its so fun.

wait until you hit harder 3unit :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)