• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
yes, have you? its nice, i have bed, a tv and free food daily.

Dude in Prison:"When i come out, i plan to murder someone else"
prisonmate: "why?"
Dude: "Oh, I dont know, guess cos i will miss u"
Prisonmate: "u serious u love me?"
Dude: "No u dickhead, outside i have to pay for everything, i wont be able to get job, life is tough outside, here in jail it rocks"
Prisonmate: "oh, u still love me dont u?"
Dude: "Sometimes...when u bend over"..
i refuse to believe that you feel that gaol is as luxurious as you think

malkin86

HSC
It is hard, though, for people to adjust to an independant life after gaol. When they come out, they often have nothing - no family that'll associate with them, nowhere to live, no medicare card.

back on topicish:
If God exists, does God have a sense of humour?

davin

HSC
N/A
i figured god had a sense of humour that reflects his sick and twisted personality, if he does in fact exist

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
We create our own meaning in our life.

Analogy: Building a snowman is fun, eventually the snow will melt etc... but it was fun doing it, we created that fun in our heads - there was no ultimate purpose to it.

ur analogy is interesting= because it is in no way related to the topic.

1) God is the creator- we are the created
2) You say that you create your own purpose (which i suppose fluctuates seasonally correct?)

3) so you want to play God by building a snow man... fine then !

but if its to be a true analogy- you must expect the snowman to come up with its own purpose- which it cant do coz its inanimate.

you build a car- it cant create meaning for itself- it needs you to tell it what to do... Artificial intell is not in yet- one unsw computer science lecturer said to us at careers day- that they have a motto within the CSE faculty at unsw which goes "anyone who has spent a year working on artificial intelligence, that will be enough to convince him that theres a God" i dunno if he was joking or not... havent checked it out.

4) your purpose of building the snowman was to have fun doing it- and you've admitted that- why turn around and say there was no purpose to u doing it?

5) the snowman's purpose was to give u entertainment and then melt away like it never existed- how do i know? because you said so... and your its creator- you also know that too.

Now think, what is your purpose in life?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ur analogy is interesting= because it is in no way related to the topic.
Someone was claiming that you can't live a life with meaning without god - I explained how you can.

1) God is the creator- we are the created
Is this just to confirm that you're about the beg the question in a huge way? I don't see what this point means.

2) You say that you create your own purpose (which i suppose fluctuates seasonally correct?)
Well some aspects of it, however really subjective stuff like 'have fun' probably doesn't fluctuate ;)

3) so you want to play God by building a snow man... fine then !
How is that playing God? God builds snow men? :/

but if its to be a true analogy- you must expect the snowman to come up with its own purpose- which it cant do coz its inanimate.
Artificial intell is not in yet- one unsw computer science lecturer said to us at careers day- that they have a motto within the CSE faculty at unsw which goes "anyone who has spent a year working on artificial intelligence, that will be enough to convince him that theres a God" i dunno if he was joking or not... havent checked it out.
He's looking at humans as machines that all of a sudden just had intelligence - that would be an impossible feat. Evolutionary biologists do not claim that human intelligence just came about all of a sudden.

The point of my 'analogy' was to show that you can do something which has purpose at the time, but is ultimately pointless.
4) your purpose of building the snowman was to have fun doing it- and you've admitted that- why turn around and say there was no purpose to u doing it?
I said that ultimately it is a pointless act because it will melt away. Much as i'm saying in this life we are doing stuff that we enjoy for whatever reason, we have purpose in this current life and that is not taken away from us just because we realise that in an ultimate sense it is pointless.

Now think, what is your purpose in life?
You don't have a purpose, but you can create your own meaning if you want, create your own purpose - whatever that may be, it probably goes something along the lines of 'feel joy' ;)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
"Analogy: Building a snowman is fun, eventually the snow will melt etc... but it was fun doing it, we created that fun in our heads - there was no ultimate purpose to it."

not all things have to have an ultimate purpose to them

"Neither have barbaric laws - but at least we have a cleaner conscience."
so letting cons out in 10yrs (rather than life/death) so that they can destroy more lives ileads to a cleaner conscience?

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
And what if you had the wrong man? What if you cut the hand off of, or killed, an innocent man?

If Sharia law is so great why isn't everyone, especially all muslims, immigrating to the middle east?
Um they have legal system, their are trialled. They catch the right almost immediately, because ppl dont wanna want their hands chopped off, so they are often turned in.

Well the middle east, doesnt follow sharia law in the way its supposed to. Also the standards of living are considerably lower. For example if person doesnt have job their he pretty much has no life, but when he comes down here, he works for the dole, welfare benefits etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
Um they have legal system, their are trialled. They catch the right almost immediately, because ppl dont wanna want their hands chopped off, so they are often turned in.
and what about scapegoats? why are they getting turned in by people who don't want their hands chopped off? if those people aren't involved, they should, in theory, have no reason to fear the legal system as it will supposedly be accurate.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
and what about scapegoats? why are they getting turned in by people who don't want their hands chopped off? if those people aren't involved, they should, in theory, have no reason to fear the legal system as it will supposedly be accurate.
none wants their hands chopped off? and there are no scapegoats, they are only convicted if proven.

davin

HSC
N/A
if only the person that actually did it needs to worry, then why is the logic of "because ppl dont wanna want their hands chopped off, so they are often turned in" a way to get people to turn them in? they're not in danger of having their hands chopped off in first place?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
if only the person that actually did it needs to worry, then why is the logic of "because ppl dont wanna want their hands chopped off, so they are often turned in" a way to get people to turn them in? they're not in danger of having their hands chopped off in first place?
if they were a suspect they are in danger. lies are not tolerated.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:

Well the middle east, doesnt follow sharia law in the way its supposed to. Also the standards of living are considerably lower. For example if person doesnt have job their he pretty much has no life, but when he comes down here, he works for the dole, welfare benefits etc.
what if the person is disabled or very sick , the dole is very helpful. You live in middle east, and have no support then your are really fucked. But then again the whole place is spiraling downwards

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
if they were a suspect they are in danger. lies are not tolerated.
the whole argument should be why the hell would you even support cutting of hands. Its barberic and centuries outdated.

Plus as we have recently witnessed, the courts are very corrupt in the middle east.

the 16 year old girl sentenced to hanging, because she was defending her self from a rapist. and the rapist doesnt get shit.
fuck that system

Zayd

HSC
SashatheMan said:
the whole argument should be why the hell would you even support cutting of hands. Its barberic and centuries outdated.

Ok genious.............any law that you know of that will put an end to:
- rape
- murder
- robbery
- poverty
- suicidals???

and the list goes on........

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
SashatheMan said:

- rape
- murder
- robbery
- poverty
- suicidals???

basically you're saying "do you have a better idea?"

youre not arguing properly

unless you mean you think that cutting hands off are the way to stop those acts you've listed. In which case, there are flaws in that type of punishment. I personally do not want to see someone without hands walking around the street, nor convicted wrongly.

edit: poverty? should you even be dragging that in? seems a lil out of place. as well as the fact that there are certain degrees of crime. Someone may rob a small shop but there is room for them to never do it again without having their hands cut off.

i also doubt a functioning, healthy society where the law punishment and judicial system is based on fear.

Last edited:

Zayd

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Zayd said:

unless you mean you think that cutting hands off are the way to stop those acts you've listed. In which case, there are flaws in that type of punishment. I personally do not want to see someone without hands walking around the street, nor convicted wrongly.

Had that person stole something precious to you............and you didn't get it back....and i were to place that man infront of you........what you would have done to him? why the double standards?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
ur_inner_child said:
Zayd said:

Had that person stole something precious to you............and you didn't get it back....and i were to place that man infront of you........what you would have done to him? why the double standards?
can you please re-read my post or tell me where it doesnt make sense to you? perhaps i need to explain things clearer, because sometimes i do ramble a bit. Because I dont see the link from my post to your response.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
- rape
- murder
- robbery
- poverty
- suicidals???

Um yah I think you'll find our societies are actually much better places to live than yours ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)