• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Lukybear

HSC
Gods morality- commits genocide, very encouraging of the keeping of slaves, permits the murder of slaves, 50 pieces of silver exonerates me from rape and I get to marry the girl, unleashing bears to murder 42 children etc...

Do I have to use bears when I'm murdering children? It's awfully inconvenient.
Its funny that you bring up slavery, and unfortunate disaters across the world. Why must you attribute this to God? Its human action, and the result of sin which brings the rebellion of nature (assuming your refering to natural disasters). Its not the action of God, but rather man's freewill which brought such disasterous results.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And God supposedly created us, and everything else, so he created sin as well.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
No, he created everything, right? Laws of the universe, us, etc.

So he must have created sin as well - the existence thereof.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The idea of an omnipresent and omniscient god is incongruent with most organised religions concepts of heaven and hell, yet most of them insist on it.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Its funny that you bring up slavery, and unfortunate disaters across the world. Why must you attribute this to God? Its human action, and the result of sin which brings the rebellion of nature (assuming your refering to natural disasters). Its not the action of God, but rather man's freewill which brought such disasterous results.
he's not attributing genocide and slavery to god

the writers of the old testament already did

Lukybear

HSC
he's not attributing genocide and slavery to god

the writers of the old testament already did

You must be referring to the events of the OT, featuring the Israelites and the Eygptions.

Upon inspectios and reading, we know that the events which preluded to slavery of the Egyptions, and the so called "genocides" were all sin.

The conquering of Israel, so called "slavery" was the result of continuous sin, namely idolatry. This infact, when looked upon as an negative action of God, is in actuality done out of Love.

Take the example of father and son. If your children did something wrong, isnt punishment justifiable? The obvious rebuttal to this, would be: "but slavery and death is different from my treatments to children." Indeed that is the case, but we must realise, that the position of a father, is far different to God, althought many aspects are analogous.

If we do take upon the perspective of God, (we cannot), we might see, for someone so powerfull and so perfect, also expecting His creations to be perfect, which as humans are far from it, then punishment is rightous.

Lukybear

HSC
The idea of an omnipresent and omniscient god is incongruent with most organised religions concepts of heaven and hell, yet most of them insist on it.
I suppose you are reffering to how, humans, go into heaven, or hell through their deeds, which is paradoxical to the omnipotent God.

In Christianity, whether we go to heaven or not, stated in the bible, was planend from the very begging of time. And that ultimately , we must follow God's plans. The bible, furthermore also deliver andother message, of free will. That God, will "use our prayers" in His plans.

This is indeed paradoxical, however, because the bible, was able to state this. And we follow the premise, that God is omnipotent and omniscient, such paradox isnt a paradox, in the face of God. We certainly cannot know, how He does it, but we can know that it is.

Ironically, because this is a paradox, which only omnipotence can solve, it is logical.

I know this answer, seems to be far away from the norm, and it requires a certain amount of faith to understand. But somethings, we just cannot comprehend.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
lol ok

if god commits genocide it's righteous because <insert made up justification here>

aren't you glad there's no reason to believe any of it's real :D

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Ironically, because this is a paradox, which only omnipotence can solve, it is logical.
hahahahhahahahhahahhaha

IF GODS EXISTENCE = ILLOGICAL THEN GOD = LOGICAL.

Seriously, if it takes 'omnipotence' to solve this then how the fuck have you? You haven't, you're just saying it... based on nothing...

Lukybear

HSC
hahahahhahahahhahahhaha

IF GODS EXISTENCE = ILLOGICAL THEN GOD = LOGICAL.

Seriously, if it takes 'omnipotence' to solve this then how the fuck have you? You haven't, you're just saying it... based on nothing...
lol, ok. I guess my explanation is insufficent, that is my fault, and is open to scrutiny.

But you must remeber, its your atheists supporters who brough up the omnipotent God.

In other words your 1st premise is that
1.God is omnipotent.

Then this renders all claims that God is illogical false.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
we don't even have a premise, god doesn't exist to attribute 'omnipotence' in the first place? :S

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
lol, ok. I guess my explanation is insufficent, that is my fault, and is open to scrutiny.

But you must remeber, its your atheists supporters who brough up the omnipotent God.

In other words your 1st premise is that
1.God is omnipotent.

Then this renders all claims that God is illogical false.
Riet never attributed God to having omnipotence. He just stated that the belief of God having omniotence and divine punsihment is paradoxical. There is a vast difference between belief and reality.
Amazingly, that sentence can also be used for this entire thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)