Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
CRITICAL JOURNALISM - Do atheists need to shut up? 2 christians and a jew decide.
That is just indicative of everything that's wrong with the USA today. Their ridiculous belief that they are somehow a democratic nation whilst at the same time being a Christian nation 'under God' is just ignorant.

ali.falfa

HSC
gerhard said:
ive got a question about christianity/monotheistic gods. Ive never really understood this, im sure christians must have some sort of answer for it since it seems like such an obvious problem.

Firstly, God is omniscient. He knows everything, he is outside of time. he knows the past and the future.

Secondly, I have free choice to accept god or not. My future is not pre-determined, I can make my own decisions.

But how can I have a free choice if god already knows what Im going to do? God knows the future, he surely must know what I am going to do and if he does then I wouldnt have free choice. If he doesnt know what Im going to do, then he isnt much of a god.
You make a good point. I alway like to think of God's mind compared to human minds a bit like Humans in comparison to say a dog's mind- It's impossible to see things from his perspective and we will never be able to escape the limitations of our own minds- at least not in this world. That is why we struggle to get our heads around such difficult things as how we can have free choice when God knows already what we are going to do.

lengy

HSC
Athiest don't go around preaching Athiesm the way Theists go around 'saving' non-believers. Clearly the Theists need to shut up.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
lengy said:
Athiest don't go around preaching Athiesm the way Theists go around 'saving' non-believers. Clearly the Theists need to shut up.
Exactly, I don't remember the last time athiests came knocking on my door, handing me literature and trying to convince me that their particular lack of a god is the correct one.
Athiests have no reason to care if others choose a religion. The people who aren't athiests won't supposedly meet eternal suffering because everyone suffers the same fate.

Valeu

HSC
There is no reason to believe in God in the manner he is presently defined by mainstream theistic religions. Until there is some rational/scientific basis for a belief in God, belief in God can only be delusional. Comforting and warm perhaps, but delusional.

The question 'does god exist' is so irrelevant to the problems that we face as humans, that IMO it should be ignored, until some future advanced humans have the means to give a credible answer to the said question.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I think we need to do more to promote atheists as some kind of disadvantaged minority group. We need to figure out how to win society's sympathy like gays, women, blacks etc. have.

Valeu

HSC
I don't think atheists are disadvantaged. In some ways they/we are politically marginalised by the frenzy for the Christian vote (as seen in the US), but we certainly don't need sympathy. It is the theists who deserve our sympathy, for being deluded in the manner they are. In fact pity is probably a better word.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I think we need to do more to promote atheists as some kind of disadvantaged minority group. We need to figure out how to win society's sympathy like gays, women, blacks etc. have.
I think that's already happening and as has happened with previous movements atheists are just being told to shut up. Now there are your fair amount of atheists that agree with this, but I think we're seeing that for the most part atheists aren't willing to shut up and probably will end up becomming a group with as much respect as other minorities.

The big worry for me though is what sort of 'atheism' we will be left with once such efforts have come to fruition.

don't think atheists are disadvantaged. In some ways they/we are politically marginalised by the frenzy for the Christian vote (as seen in the US), but we certainly don't need sympathy. It is the theists who deserve our sympathy, for being deluded in the manner they are. In fact pity is probably a better word.
I think atheists are disadvantaged if they outwardly express their atheism. Unlike blacks it's true we can for the most part hide our views from the majority, but this isn't enough for most people. I don't think we need sympathy, but I do think people need to accept an atheists right to believe what they believe just as much as a gay has the right to love another person of their sex or a black has the right to be considered an equal to whites.

The question 'does god exist' is so irrelevant to the problems that we face as humans, that IMO it should be ignored, until some future advanced humans have the means to give a credible answer to the said question.
I think it's an important question, but due to the reality of our existance something which must be a fairly low priority. For me the only problem with such belief is that it opens the door to other irrational thoughts, giving them stronger credibility in a persons mind purely do to their religious beliefs - For example, the evolution debate.

Last edited:

Valeu

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think atheists are disadvantaged if they outwardly express their atheism. Unlike blacks it's true we can for the most part hide our views from the majority, but this isn't enough for most people. I don't think we need sympathy, but I do think people need to accept an atheists right to believe what they believe just as much as a gay has the right to love another person of their sex or a black has the right to be considered an equal to whites.
I agree, but given that all those rights you mentioned are protected by law, including the atheist's right to proclaim his/her belief in atheism, what would be the point of an organised atheist movement? If people can't accept atheism that's their problem. A movement would only serve as a focus point for religous fundamentalists to vent their anger at, and would probably only increase discrimination. Which I think was your point in the initial paragraph anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)