Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
tommykins said:
PS. Rnadom question, if God existed and he said if you believed in him you'd be tortured for eternity whereas non-believers would be praised, would you still believe in him?
Very clever, tommy.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Since it was ignored, I direct you to -

PS. Random question, if God existed and he said if you believed in him you'd be tortured for eternity whereas non-believers would be praised, would you still believe in him?

Peteage

HSC
tommykins said:
Random question, if God existed and he said if you believed in him you'd be tortured for eternity whereas non-believers would be praised, would you still believe in him?
As philosophical as this was, it lacks proper reasoning. Not believing in the existence of God because it proposed an unideal thesis would be like not believing in the existence of a cyclone because it was about to destroy your house.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Peteage said:
As philosophical as this was, it lacks proper reasoning. Not believing in the existence of God because it proposed an unideal thesis would be like not believing in the existence of a cyclone because it was about to destroy your house.
Except the cyclone is visible and measureable (wind speed, strength etc. etc.)?

What if the Bible said that if you believe in God, he will help you through hard times now but once you die - you're in Hell.

I'm amused by the sheer amounts of people that will be like 'YES I WILL STILL BELIEVE IN HIM' that are in denial.

HSC
SILVER PERSIAN is a NORMAL POKEMON who cannot learn RAZOR LEAF

Although I seem to remember that Persian can learn THUNDERBOLT

coopert

HSC
There is no God. No supreme being, no higher power, nothing.

People invented the whole idea to try and explain the unexplainable (Creation, Water, Fire, etc) in the days before science, astrology, and medicine. People still hold onto it today because either

a) They have been brainwashed
(Either indoctrinated into them by Church, Family, School, etc; or have been converted later in life. 'Born Agains' are the worst)

b) They can not cope with the cold fact that they only have one chance at life, then that is it.
(Much rather believe that they will "fly up into the clouds" and spent eternity "in heaven")

c) They are completely deluded.
(Lyyk33 00mGG, +h3 WorLd w@zz t00TallLy M@dE In 7 DayZ!!)

I think people need to realize that there is only one certainty in life, that your body will eventually cease to function, and you will die.

I also think that most people can't handle the fact that in the end, THEY are the ones who have the real power of choice in their lives. They would rather leave all "fate" to an imaginary being who can dictate their lives for them, rather than actually taking controll over their own existance.

Make the most of the time you are here!
Live your life, find yourself, fall in love, have children(*Optional), be happy, travel, make your own decisions; and above all, be good to one another.

That's life in a nutshell from me. hahah

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
coopert said:

People invented the whole idea to try and explain the unexplainable (Creation, Water, Fire, etc) in the days before science, astrology, and medicine. People still hold onto it today because either

a) They have been brainwashed
(Either indoctrinated into them by Church, Family, School, etc; or have been converted later in life. 'Born Agains' are the worst)

b) They can not cope with the cold fact that they only have one chance at life, then that is it.
(Much rather believe that they will "fly up into the clouds" and spent eternity "in heaven")

c) They are completely deluded.
(Lyyk33 00mGG, +h3 WorLd w@zz t00TallLy M@dE In 7 DayZ!!)

I think people need to realize that there is only one certainty in life, that your body will eventually cease to function, and you will die.

I also think that most people can't handle the fact that in the end, THEY are the ones who have the real power of choice in their lives. They would rather leave all "fate" to an imaginary being who can dictate their lives for them, rather than actually taking controll over their own existance.

Make the most of the time you are here!
Live your life, find yourself, fall in love, have children(*Optional), be happy, travel, make your own decisions; and above all, be good to one another.

That's life in a nutshell from me. hahah
I think you mean "astronomy".

EDIT: And please articulate your responses more so than you currently do. It helps when trying to sway people to your own personal philosophy not to berate them and beat down upon the beliefs they already hold, or to generalise and simplify their beliefs into a straw man.

Last edited:

coopert

HSC
moll. said:
I think you mean "astronomy".

EDIT: And please articulate your responses more so than you currently do. It helps when trying to sway people to your own personal philosophy not to berate them and beat down upon the beliefs they already hold, or to generalise and simplify their beliefs into a straw man.
Yes, I meant 'Astronomy'. Thankyou for pointing that out (I am sure it must have inconvenienced you greatly to have to decipher it), and I apologize for the embarrassing typo. I feel like such an idiot now, how ever will I live that down!

Everybody is free to clutch at whatever ideological straws they see fit. I was not trying to 'sway' anyone. The topic is "Does God Exist?", and I gave my answer.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
tommykins said:
In a quite patronising way...
meh

he's just telling it like it is

and besides, you wouldn't hesitate to be patronising to someone who believed in santa claus (mostly coz they're usually little kids, but still)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
meh

he's just telling it like it is

and besides, you wouldn't hesitate to be patronising to someone who believed in santa claus (mostly coz they're usually little kids, but still)
haha i'd think it but wouldn't say it.

anyways - where the theists at? why hasn't anyone answered my question

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
tommykins: is this your question?
PS. Random question, if God existed and he said if you believed in him you'd be tortured for eternity whereas non-believers would be praised, would you still believe in him?
so you mean that the roles are reversed and instead of believing in him and going to heaven you go to hell?

that probably an irrelevant question, because no one would want to follow it, because if they do, they go to hell, therefore the religion dies out, doesnt it?

However, i would end up being totured i suppose because i would make a concious decision not to follow that, but by doing that i would have accepted he was real. so pretty much as soon as you come in contact with the religion you are fucked really. i fail to see the point.

or is it this question:
What if the Bible said that if you believe in God, he will help you through hard times now but once you die - you're in Hell.
i suppose in effect i will "believe" in him, in that i would have solid proof that he is present and viable, but i doubt i'd worship him. why waste time on that in hell, it probably wont change anything.

Last edited:

Peteage

HSC
coopert said:

People invented the whole idea to try and explain the unexplainable (Creation, Water, Fire, etc) in the days before science, astrology, and medicine. People still hold onto it today because either...
So religions are primitive theories which existed to give reasoning to everything which was unexplainable. Fortunately, we now have science, an understanding of how the universe functions and medicine to explain everything for us; rendering religion to be very much a thing of the past.

My question to you is this: The first law of thermodynamics states that matter cannot be created nor destroyed; only changed from one form into another, so where did matter come from?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Peteage said:
So religions are primitive theories which existed to give reasoning to everything which was unexplainable. Fortunately, we now have science, an understanding of how the universe functions and medicine to explain everything for us; rendering religion to be very much a thing of the past.

My question to you is this: The first law of thermodynamics states that matter cannot be created nor destroyed; only changed from one form into another, so where did matter come from?
the bible, obviously

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Darnie said:
tommykins: is this your question?

so you mean that the roles are reversed and instead of believing in him and going to heaven you go to hell?

that probably an irrelevant question, because no one would want to follow it, because if they do, they go to hell, therefore the religion dies out, doesnt it?

However, i would end up being totured i suppose because i would make a concious decision not to follow that, but by doing that i would have accepted he was real. so pretty much as soon as you come in contact with the religion you are fucked really. i fail to see the point.
Then here we go, the admittance of believing in religion for benefits, and not out of fact.

You've just basically said you'd follow the religion ONLY if it brought benefits otherwise if it was EVIL but still the TRUTH you would not accept it.

The reasoning for a God existing is weakening by the second.

or is it this question:
i suppose in effect i will "believe" in him, in that i would have solid proof that he is present and viable, but i doubt i'd worship him. why waste time on that in hell, it probably wont change anything.
Wheres the solid proof of God right now?

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
tommykins said:
You've just basically said you'd follow the religion ONLY if it brought benefits otherwise if it was EVIL but still the TRUTH you would not accept it.
well of course, i'd try to get the best deal out of it i could; why wouldnt i? If a God doesn't want me to worship or me to recognise him, then i wouldn't.

Wheres the solid proof of God right now?
Faith.

Just.Snaz

HSC
I see the title of this thread to be somewhat denying the very concept of "God".
I don't know about other "gods" but with the Christian God, I do know that He is beyond existence. We're almost patronising His being if we say He merely 'exists'. God is beyond human definition, beyond human understanding, beyond everything we know. So as to ask 'Does God exist?" would be somewhat undermining.

But disregarding that, belief in God comes by faith, not by evidence. Sorry we can't tell you that scientifically God 'exists' (if you'd like to put it that way) but something everyone should PLEASE acknowledge is that science DOES NOT rule out God. Every time you mention science and what not, great, it probably DID happen. Awesome stuff. But how does that mean God did not let it happen?

btw, personal opinion, I bet a lot of atheists are scared so much of God that they've convinced themselves there is no God because fact of the matter is, it's not easy following someone else's rules. It's not easy being denied 'freedom' to do as you please. It's not easy having someone tell you 'no you can't do what you want to do'. The very concept of God just isn't easy and you can't handle that; you don't want that. So you run away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)