Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Mas1991

HSC
Whether you believe in god or not...your beliefs will either be cemented or shattered by your death. By which time, there is nothing you can do to change the beliefs you held so dearly. So this thread is pointless and will only bring about arguments that have been going around for centuries if not millenia.

which brings about a much more interesting topic

Is there such thing as original thought?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Whether you believe in god or not...your beliefs will either be cemented or shattered by your death.
If there's no god, and thus no afetrlife, we won't get a chance to realise it, because we'll be dead.

So this thread is pointless and will only bring about arguments that have been going around for centuries if not millenia.
Meh, we find it occasionally interesting.
If you don't liek it then don't post in it.

which brings about a much more interesting topic

Is there such thing as original thought?
At the very least, there had to have been, at some stage in history. Or else you'll just get an infinite regress.

Tonthat

HSC
Whether you believe in god or not...your beliefs will either be cemented or shattered by your death. By which time, there is nothing you can do to change the beliefs you held so dearly.
But in the time being let's continue to impede the advancement of man-kind through religion.

BradCube

HSC
If under the assumption that God is omnipresent, then that statement is true.
Well, not really since arriving implies that they were not there before hand. It may be more accurate to say that God continued to exist where the train arrived at 5.15 :p

On a separate note I would like to make mention of a newly released book that should be of interest to theists, atheists and just thinkers in general.

It is the Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology

It is a collection and defense of all the current most formidable arguments for the existence of God. Each essay has been written by an author who represents the cutting edge of the particular argument for which they are defending.

A brief overview of the chapters/arguments contained and their authors:

1. The Project of Natural Theology: Charles Taliaferro (St. Olaf College)
2. The Leibnizian Cosmological Argument: Alexander R. Pruss (Baylor University)
3. The Kalam Cosmological Argument: William Lane Craig (Talbot School of Theology) and James D. Sinclair)
4. The Teleological Argument: An Exploration of the Fine-Tuning of the Universe: Robin Collins (Messiah College)
5. The Argument from Consciousness: J. P. Moreland (Talbot School of Theology)
6. The Argument from Reason: Victor Reppert (Glendale Community College and Grand Canyon University)
7. The Moral Argument: Mark D. Linville
8. The Argument from Evil: Stewart Goetz (Ursinus College)
9. The Argument from Religious Experience: Kai-Man Kwan (Hong Kong Baptist University)
10. The Ontological Argument: Robert E. Maydole (Davidson College)
11. The Argument from Miracles: A Cumulative Case for the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth: Timothy McGrew (Western Michigan University and LydiaMcGrew)

I have a copy in the mail, and can't wait to get stuck into it :)

Last edited:

Jeremykid

HSC
so if god dosent exist wut happends in the after life?? Is the human race and the nature of earth all a coincidence??

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Was Mohammed the false prophet Jesus warned of?

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
(Matthew 7:15-23)

Discuss.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: Was Mohammed the false prophet Jesus warned of?

A beautiful verse. Faith must be matched with deeds, actions speak louder than words, woo Catholics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

faith+deeds=Catholic. Fatih-deeds=sundatyChristian=youProt
PROT
GOOOOOOOOOOOLDSTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

faith+deeds=Catholic. Fatih-deeds=sundatyChristian=youProt
PROT
GOOOOOOOOOOOLDSTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but i am a christian who does good deeds but i do not believe it is my deeds that save me but grace

Brontecat

HSC

not everyone is the same therefore one religion probably doesnt fit all
who is to say that a pentecoastal Christian is less than a Catholic when they share many essential beliefs, having some belief in God, Jesus etc. is better than not knowing God at all

sorri if this has no relevance :)

mackento

HSC
There is one piece of evidence that cements my faith in an almighty being, in my case God, And that is the human eye. It defies probability, darwins evolution and comprehension.

That such a complex body organ could be created is amazing, darwin himself cannot understand how it came to be. Also contemplate the fact that this world is placed just so that life is sustainable, closer and it wouldv been to hot, further away and it wouldv been to far.

The natural mysteries of this world defy chance, they could only have been constructed by an omnipotent being.

BTW religion holds onto the morals that are being quickly lost in this world, a cornerstone of people behaving morally and just.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

not everyone is the same therefore one religion probably doesnt fit all
who is to say that a pentecoastal Christian is less than a Catholic when they share many essential beliefs, having some belief in God, Jesus etc. is better than not knowing God at all

sorri if this has no relevance :)
the thing is the catholic beliefs are so different that it almost is a seperate religion altogether, like it's beliefs in the afterlife(purgatory), salvation, e.t.c

Brontecat

HSC

i'd actually beg to differ that the difference in catholicism is that it is rich in tradition (dates back to peter and paul etc... i.e before the great schism) and have a slightly different belief in that Mary deserves a special recognition as the mother of God

it is probably important to remember that the schism was in relation to where people looked to when a creed was being formed the bishop of constantinople or rome (catholic)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

i'd actually beg to differ that the difference in catholicism is that it is rich in tradition (dates back to peter and paul etc... i.e before the great schism) and have a slightly different belief in that Mary deserves a special recognition as the mother of God

it is probably important to remember that the schism was in relation to where people looked to when a creed was being formed the bishop of constantinople or rome (catholic)
I am just saying the beliefs are very different. Even in important beliefs like salvation. etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)