• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

bexta

HSC
Check back a few pages... I've made a few posts on how the bible can't be true.
I don't see you making any arguments on why God should be real?
Only "2 billion people!"

OH NOES!!!111!!1!!!1

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
2 billion people... broken up into thousands of little demoniations.... broken up into.. probably each christian has their own different 'versions' of their religion that they believe in...
See that's the thing about religion.. it allows for fanatics, pacifics, all types of different people to manage to believe in it due to the different 'contexts' etc...

superbird

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
2 billion people... broken up into thousands of little demoniations.... broken up into.. probably each christian has their own different 'versions' of their religion that they believe in...
I believe this thread is about "Does God exist". In which case all Christians believe in God and hence your denominations argument is irrelevant

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Man I go off to study for a day and come back to find 12 pages have been written in my absence. Anyway this thread doesn’t seem to want to end. The question was “Does God exist”. If u say yes, then back up ur claim with evidence. If u cant then, stop complicating this thread. U cant answer this question with a ‘well prove that god doesnt exist” because u cant answer a question by posing another question (so those of u saying the atheists claim to there being no god is not justified by any evidence, ur not going to get anywhere, find ur own evidence). U also cant use the bible, quran or any other book to justify god, as one person tried to do. This is pointless, they don’t believe in ur religion or ur god. Religion shouldn’t even come into this. Its about the existence of god and not which religion is correct. Also where did the believers all go. Is there only atheists and agnostics left here? And if so then why is this thread still going. Anyway how about this: IF U BELIEVE IN GOD’S EXISTENCE, GO FIND EVIDENCE FOR IT AND THEN POST. Or else just leave with the knowledge that in ur heart u know he exists. U are here to debate and not try to convince someone of something by trying to make them see things ur way. As for me, im still hunting around for solid evidence. Ill post when I find something

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
u guys have ALOT of time on ur hands prooving your point. why bother tho? are u trying to convert us all or something.
in my opinion it shows that u guys are living in denial. afraid that u guys "might" be wrong in choosing not to believe in God hence the ridiculous amount of research u have conducted over the issue to try and proove it.
we get the point that u guys do not believe in God but u cant change neones opinion of the subject.
I think it would be nice though, to take away the holy blindfold.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
superbird said:
sorry aint gonna happen :)
See, this is exactly what I was talking about before!!!
How can people realise that they're being blinded by religion, and yet still believe? It's stupid and pathetic.

Sophie777

Yeh. But they seriously believe they have a relationship with God. It would feel pretty special and you would feel safe. Hence, why would you want intellectualisation to take this away from you? Even if you knew it wasn't real.

superbird

HSC
Monkey Butler said:
See, this is exactly what I was talking about before!!!
How can people realise that they're being blinded by religion, and yet still believe? It's stupid and pathetic.
as u dont have faith in God and the Bible its difficult to explain. And no i dont believe its stupid and pathetic.

lengstar

HSC
I think it all comes down to this. Say you like someone, you've only met them once or maybe you never have. But you read about them, what they did and what they went through. Suddenly or gradually you develop an interest in this person, their ideas, beliefs and way of life. You may develop affection and even love for this person. I believe this is how they believe in God as i can see no other explanation for their faith, except of course faith itself. Really hard to explain actually. Go watch 'Saved' by Mandy Moore and the R.E.M. lead singer as director i think. Its okay, but i want both non-religious and religious people to see it.

superbird

HSC
by the way there is evidence that suggests there was a man named Jesus 2000 years ago who was son of Mary and Joseph. Whether he was the son of God or not is subject to much debate.
For me and im sure for many Christians this is sufficient evidence enough

HSC
N/A
People have done some pretty crazy shit over the past 2000 years. Like climbing 43 story buldings in france to using the INTARWEB! but washing feet?
WTF!
Bad enough to wash someone's feet if they are clean. But back in jesus time, they had like leather thongs they wore for years at a time walking everywhere.

Not only did people wash his feet, but they kissed his feet too then wiped in in expencive wine.
Imagine jesus' feet. He walks everywhere in like 40 degree heat on rocks and shit wearing chafing leather thongs.
I'd rather drink the wine that use it on his blistered sweaty feet.
What a crock of shit.

This is another aspect that makes the bible void.

i dont think anyone has replied to this comment from a few pages back?

well anyway, the argument you are making is empty-- just because you would "rather drink the wine" and think that it is ridiculous that someone would wash Jesus' smelly, hot, dirty feet.... doesnt make the Bible void!
this is your opinion on what you wouldn't like to do (ie wash feet).. but you can't use this to come to the conclusion that "the Bible is void"... it doesnt follow.

Obviously, it doesnt appear to be a rational action, to wash someone's feet. but it shows your devotion to them, and humilty in serving them. (also, of course it seems weird to us, but in their society it was a common practice)
the woman loved jesus so much she washed him feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.. this is not something a person would do for a random stranger.

im also interested to know if you have actually read this passage of the Bible that you refer to. Because in Luke 7:37, it clearly states the woman washed Jesus' feet with "perfume". no references to what you call "expensive wine".

Generator

HSC
N/A
Surely by now we all know that there is little point in arguing about a topic where each participant has a valid point of view?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
joujou_84 said:
Man I go off to study for a day and come back to find 12 pages have been written in my absence. Anyway this thread doesn’t seem to want to end.
i must agree. i go away fro 2 days, and find 30 pgs written, when i thought probably-is-smart and I came to conlusions and the thread died... obviosly not.

joujou_84 said:
IF U BELIEVE IN GOD’S EXISTENCE, GO FIND EVIDENCE FOR IT AND THEN POST. Or else just leave with the knowledge that in ur heart u know he exists. U are here to debate and not try to convince someone of something by trying to make them see things ur way.
and this was basically the end we reached...
everyone has their own belief. once you believe in something it is easier to prove, because it opens the world of holy evidence, miracle, etc. however to everyone else, it's rubbish. those proofs r only for u or those who have ur belief too. we must realise that we will never get proof of any divine being, because the only proof given requires belief in the first place. SO...
in the end it is up to the individual, and if they're happy with what they believe in, then everyone else should let them believe... they have a right to. u shouldn't try to undermine someone's belief just cause you don't believe. and the individual should also realise that their belief will only be prooven totally to others with their belief. so as long as the individual is happy, then no-one should really worry, they can believe what they want, for their own reasons, for as long as they like.
NOW... in realising that this "conlusion" will end up lost in the middle of this thread, and the fact that this thread will continue to go round in circles until everyone accepts everyone elses opinion because they're all right in their own way, i challenge someone to disprove my statement made on pg 17 (ish... i think) of this thread...
"everything is somewhere"

goodnight

osk

HSC
Take me back to the beginning of time and show me that there was no creation. Show me that God doesnt exist, Show me that we all came about as a result of evolution and by chance.

This cannot be done by any of you. Some of you might base your evidence on why God doesnt exist on certain scientific studies, on seemingly inrefutable evidence. Yet who is to say that what we see is real at all. Who is to say that what humans perceive as the color red is not actually the colour green. How much knowledge do humans actually have? It would be quite fair to say that not much. To conclude that God doesnt exist on the basis of EVIDENCE or LOGIC, we would have to know everything there ever was, is and will be to know. As soon as we lack even the smallest piece of knowledge, we lose the ability to logically prove anything, since there might be that smallest piece of knowledge we do not possess which would completely contradict our logic. EVERYTHING we see as correct is therefore a matter of faith, no matter how much evidence may be pointing towards it

Now that I have shown how everything we believe in as humans is a matter of faith, whether it be God or atheism or evolution, I ask you, how can you say there is no God on the basis of evidence when there might be that certain piece of knowledge that we may lack which conclusively proves His existence? Why take the chance that heaven and hell do not exist, when we as humans do not have the ability to deem this statement absolute fact?

The fact of the matter is that belief in a God immediately makes us and all our actions accountable to Him. To those of you who doubt God, how willing are you to trust your judgement? Is your finite mind really capable of making such a judgement? It would certainly be a pity to die and realise that God's existence was always a reality, yet you were not willing to consider the possibility during lifetime, that you were adament that you knew all there was to know......

"We walk by faith, and not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:7

Generator

HSC
N/A
For fuck's fucking sake, anything that can be used to support the idea of a god can also be used to counter that very argument. Just let it go!

edit: Sorry about the swearing, too.

osk

HSC
For fuck's fucking sake, anything that can be used to support the idea of a god can also be used to counter that very argument. Just let it go!
LOL!.....My point proven exactly........humans will never be able to prove conclusively the existence or non existence of God.......since we cannot do this......we must place our faith in something.........It's like insuring a house.......we have no conclusive evidence that the house will ever be damaged, yet we insure it just in case something happens to it. Even though the chances may be slight, we would be in a much worse position if the house was damaged. So it is with God..........in light of what my buddy has just stated here.....we cannot prove the existence of God. But we can make sure that we are ready for the consequences if God does exist.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
not really.. unless you've picked the right god, followed his laws the way that he wanted u to... u're probably in as bad a situation as the rest of us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)