Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
From the small amount that i have read in here it is very hard to debate this issue when most of the people are devoid of any depth in understanding of the Bible, Tenach and any other holy books, and the spiritual beliefs of religious traditions. There are many commonalities between religious traditions that many people do not realise. Speaking from a Christian viewpoint from now on. There IS physical evidence of the people who wrote the Bible existing and even of Jesus existing. Even athiests admit to this. The issue is not whether Jesus existed, but whether what he proclaimed was true.
I'll agree with that. Though no-one has proved what he proclaimed is true.

acmilan said:
As to whether God exists, there is just as much evidence for as there is against it.
Wrong. So far there is no evidence as to whether God exists. Care to provide some? Additionaly, the burden of proof is on believers to show that God exists, not for non-believers to show that God does not exist. Alternatively, the only correct stance to take if neither can be done is that of agnosticism, because you cannot prove one way or the other.

acmilan said:
Everything discussed in here is purely opinion
Yep. And some of our opinions seem more justifiable than others.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
By saying this:

As to whether God exists, there is just as much evidence for as there is against it.

What i should have said was in my opinion no evidence exists for or against

malkin86

HSC
The Gnostics teach that the OT "God" wasn't really God... That Jesus was an emissary of a higher God who had nothing to do with the Earth, and who would confer wisdom onto those worthy, in my understanding.
But then they add the Apocrypha too. If the Book of Susanna had made it into the canon Bible, I think that it would have prevented a lot of abuse.

danie

a fool
HSC
acmilan said:
By saying this:

What i should have said was in my opinion no evidence exists for or against
i believe this is the greatest post on this thread.

Sophie777

ur_inner_child said:
That's what she's saying: that God DOES NOT explain how the universe became - the importance is that GOD created the universe, not the HOW.

It doesn't matter "how". It's "WHO".

(just repeating what she said)
She said evolution would explain HOW. I am saying, no, it woudn't.

moseley

the thing i cant understand about god is how people can still belive in him even though he has not shown in presence in hundreds of years. people who say they dont need proof he is real but rather they just believe in god are kiddin themselves. there has been more evidence over the last hundred years of ufo and ghosts and people find it so hard to believe in them. im not sayin i belive in ghost or ufo im just trying to say the proof is needed.

Vezzellda

HSC
A good book to read that addresses this whole issue, and its short too, is "If I were God I'd make myself clearer" (2002) by Australian; John Dickson. The first sentence of the blurb on the back reads: "If there really is something spiritual out there, wouldn't there be some pretty clear signposts to it?" and it says; "John Dickson considers the vast array of spiritual claims made by different religions and individuals and asks whether any clarity about God can be found."

Another book, that is slightly longer, and a very interesting read is "Is God past his sell-by date" (2002) by American author John Blanchard, which he writes in the preface is a "book specifically intended for atheists, agnostics and others with serious doubts about the existence of God."

Sophie777

Vezzellda said:
Why wouldn't it?
Evolution has nothing to do with the bible or christianity. It had to do with how humans did not exist millions of years ago, that we have evolved from other species. The Bible makes a claim that God created 'man'. I don't believe this is so.

malkin86

HSC
So.. IF God exists, and IF Sie created humans, then Sie coulda done it through evolution?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Lol, God could've "conducted" the evolutionary process. Perhaps it only felt like 7 days for him, and us humans know it took 7-bazillion years!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
moseley107 said:
the thing i cant understand about god is how people can still belive in him even though he has not shown in presence in hundreds of years. people who say they dont need proof he is real but rather they just believe in god are kiddin themselves. there has been more evidence over the last hundred years of ufo and ghosts and people find it so hard to believe in them. im not sayin i belive in ghost or ufo im just trying to say the proof is needed.
Hundreds of years? Try THOUSANDS. In fact, there is no RELIABLE record of 'Him' ever existing, save for the Bible (which is not reliable).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ok u guys read thru all my posts, i've explained how the whole god working thru evolution thingy is flawed etc,
and it just makes it sound like u guys are desperate for a 'god exists' answers lol

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I don't even know which "side" I'm on!

WoOoOOOOO!!!!

*is in an incredibly good mood*

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's incredibly poor taste to talk about religion.

lengstar

HSC
Meh, I don't really care if God exists or not. I was once a good person with or without God. If I have to pray for absolution to a God that doesn't exists then so be it. I want something more than a void for an afterlife.
He's a question: Do you think we have a soul?

malkin86

HSC
IMO, Creation could have happened either way - with an omnipotent God directing everything or natural phenomena happening - if it was patently, 100% obvious that the universe only came about through God, or only could have happened by accident, then that takes away the free will of everyone who is interested in the origins of the earth to believe or disbelieve in whichever they choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)