Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

rapier

Not-That-Bright said:
umm ok so what you're saying is perhaps all the religions are wrong, but there is a god out there that is allowing everything to take its natural course?
I'm not saying anything definite, as I said earlier I'm just provoking further debate and attempting to sink as many arguments as possible along the way.

But yes, the way you put it is a possibility that few people have thought to explore. The existence of God is not dependant on human religion: a totally non-interventionist God, in all truth, would be totally independant of human spirituality and hence unknowable to the living person.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
And also pointless,
It's just as justifiable that a god once existed, died by BECOMMING the universe.... lol

Seriously tho, most religions, all the good nice happy parts of them are kinda just humanist...
Don't kill people... etc etc.

I mean geez, moses must have had a shock when he read the commandments (thou shalt not kill!, thou shalt not lie!) "Wow, who'd have thought its bad to kill people and lie?", the only parts of the commandments that aren't humanist... are all the God Rituals....

rapier

Not-That-Bright said:
And also pointless,
It's just as justifiable that a god once existed, died by BECOMMING the universe.... lol....
That is exactly the idea that I'm trying to convey here. Pointless is a value judgement, so I'll disregard that for the sake of the discussion. But many of the posters need to think outside of the conventional definitions of "God" and what it means to be spiritual, not religious per se. This applies to both those in support of and in opposition to the topic at hand.

Not-That-Bright said:
Seriously tho, most religions, all the good nice happy parts of them are kinda just humanist...
Don't kill people... etc etc.

... the only parts of the commandments that aren't humanist... are all the God Rituals....
Your point is completely valid, but ultimately it contributes little to the discussion. Many religions offer a humanistic perspective on ethics... .... .... It is somewhat difficult to draw an inference from this statement that pertains to the existence of a god, or lack thereof.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Sophie777 said:
You know whats wrong with the bible? Murderers can commit murders and ask for Gods forgiveness and thats ok??? That is NOT ok. It isn't ok in the legalsystem... you still go to jail. Why is it that christianity condones murder if you really do feel sorry afterwards? SO WHAT! People who murder don't deserve to live, let alone have eternal life.
it's all about becoming a better person. realising your mistakes, regretting them and realising you can become a better person. the fact that you are forgiven shows that you can start over again

ur_inner_child said:
Christian/Catholic/etc... Can someone explain the difference??? I always forget.
if it hasn't been done:
First there were Jews. Jews were waiting for the ultimate saviour. Jesus came but the jews didn't believe he was the Messiah they had been waiting for. Others did believe he was God's son and so they created a new religion - Christianity. Since then Christianity has split a few times. Catholic is the original religion. Anglicans split off because they thought divorce was fine. Baptists decided baptisim would be the only religious sacrament (no communion, confirmation etc.)

so christianity is the wide umbrella. religions that are part of christianity are - orthodox, catholic, anglican, baptist, pentecostal, uniting etc.

Last edited:

rapier

Not-That-Bright said:
alot of people use the argument that without religion society wouldn't be all nice and everything....
That argument is weak as well, I would have refuted it had I been reading the thread at that point. Human ethics would most likely be at a very similar place with or without the influence of religion.

On the other side of this argument, I must reject the common concept that we would live in an Utopian society in the absence of religion.

EDIT: Iambored: "Rite?" -> sacrament

Last edited:

rapier

Not-That-Bright said:
I however think that murderers are using religion as a masque for their true hateful nature..
I am in total agreement with you in that regard.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
rapier said:
That argument is weak as well, I would have refuted it had I been reading the thread at that point. Human ethics would most likely be at a very similar place with or without the influence of religion.

On the other side of this argument, I must reject the common concept that we would live in an Utopian society in the absence of religion.

EDIT: Iambored: "Rite?" -> sacrament
lol thanks, i'll edit it, i went blank

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I've read up to page 13, so I'm sorry if I've missed anything, but it seems like this debate is going round in circles so I thought it'd be safe to jump in.

First of all, I'm an atheist, simply because I see no reason for God to exist. I get along just fine without religion in my life, I reckon I'm a pretty decent person, so why complicate things? Secondly, organised religion is utter bullshit, and is simply a tool of control - I Believe, therefore I am a better person than you, therefore I have more power than you. It's crap. And the idea of the Christian belief in converting the Heathens is just downright offensive.

That said, I think I understand religion. Yes, it's a tool of control, it's a cheat book on how to live your life (a life lived in servitude is better than the risk of a life squandered, to some people), it's a crutch to get people through difficult times, it's a way of reconciling oneself with all the bad things that happen in the world. But more than that, there is a part of many people's minds that want something more. So many people ask what the purpose of life is, and the only satifactory answers are God or nothing. The people that ask that question are therefore stuck, to either accept the existence of a God, or accept that their lives are meaningless other than to themselves and the people they influence. Some people seem to have a lot of trouble with the latter concept (which again leads to the power thing - a life lived for God means that we were custom-built by Him, for Him, which means that He has a direct personal interest in us - we actually matter!), and so the only logical, or at least acceptable reason is God.

And then you get on to the argument of who God is, and what he wants of us. Historically, all three major Gods are one and the same (Christians really hate that, but it's true), but all preach different things. This brings up the question of which religion, and God, is the "right" one, as Not That Bright has said. The choice, for any serious Believer, of which God to follow is a pretty damn serious one, and this is probably what I, as an atheist, am most interested in. Why do people choose the religions that they do? If it's simply because they were born into it and therefore follow it unquestioningly, I pretty much ignore everything the person has to say - they're following dogmas and words, not a God. Conversely, those who select a religion based on their own personal morals (granted, this is usually a denominational issue) confuse me as well - why select a God just because he fits with what you already believe? Finally, you get those who, like Josie, just have "faith" and so randomly choose a religion (or not, I'll come back to that). In that case it seems kinda hyprocritical to defend a God that you yourself did not specifically believe in until you decided to.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say (or all that I can remember anyway), so I'll finish by responding to Josie: Where did your believes come from? You seem to be saying that you've decided to have "faith" of your own volition, without any outside influences (which is crap, but anyway). In that case, do you not accept organised religion? It seems like that's what you're saying (the whole Unknowable bit, which is against all the teachings of the three major religions), and so I want to ask you, why do you need Faith? Is it that crucial to your life that you can't exist without manufacturing a God to rule over it? To maybe make my point a bit clearer: I'm a cog in a machine. I recognise that I'm a cog, and I can see the machine all around me. Why do I have to make up stories about the people who built or run the machine, when I know perfectly well how I'm supposed to work? Isn't is just pointless to imagine the lives, plans and desires of those people outside the machine who ultimately have no impact on me as a cog, and who may not even really exist?

EDIT:
AHH SHIT!!!! I didn't realise this thread was so long, and so now my way too long post is probably irrelevant! Damnit!!!!

Sophie777

iambored said:
it's all about becoming a better person. realising your mistakes, regretting them and realising you can become a better person. the fact that you are forgiven shows that you can start over again

if it hasn't been done:
First there were Jews. Jews were waiting for the ultimate saviour. Jesus came but the jews didn't believe he was the Messiah they had been waiting for. Others did believe he was God's son and so they created a new religion - Christianity. Since then Christianity has split a few times. Catholic is the original religion. Anglicans split off because they thought divorce was fine. Baptists decided baptisim would be the only religious sacrament (no communion, confirmation etc.)

so christianity is the wide umbrella. religions that are part of christianity are - orthodox, catholic, anglican, baptist, pentecostal, uniting etc.
They had their chance. You can't get that persons life back. What if it was yours? You can't take someone elses life and call it a 'mistake'. They had their chance to be a good person and they fucked up. Murdering someone isn't a mistake its a crime against humanity and shouldn't be forgiven.

Sophie777

rapier said:
A somewhat naive approach to uncovering truths. I am not a fan of the bible, but it does contain historical truths which cannot be refuted. It does NOT however, prove the existence of a god in any way - but nor does it disprove it.

I may also remind you that "God" is not a Christian or for that matter semitic invention. The Bible constitutes a fraction of religious literature and does not relate to more than one tradition in each of its various incarnations.

The comment about lack of proof therefore a default to the negative argument is also somewhat dubious. Neither side is able to produce conclusive evidence; if it were so then this conversation would be void. The fact is, that a conclusion by default is an easy way out of a difficult subject and not a valid way to push your argument.

EDIT: Noone has jumped on me yet, but I must add that the Christian Bible does contain much which I would consider to be utter fallacy, and undoubtedly you could give me 100 reasons why this is so - just saving you the trouble
It wasn't a naive approach. The bible holds to the belief it is 'God's word' Now, if you find one fault in this, then the entire book is void. I am not wrong.

bexta

HSC
Well was it God's plan to enable people to murder/rape each other?
Maybe it was just a big scam.

"Hmm.. If i get people to kill each other, maybe they'll try and swim out of shit-creek and beg for forgiveness! Then I'll have more followers! Mauahahhahahaha!! In your face Allah!"

Last edited:

bexta

HSC
It wasn't a naive approach. The bible holds to the belief it is 'God's word' Now, if you find one fault in this, then the entire book is void. I am not wrong.
Talking about the first or second testament? Because i was under the belief that Jesus' followers wrote those books....

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Aethist!

It's personal belief whether God exists.
I mean, how did life begin? Did God start life on Earth? Or was it bacteria conglomerating and evolving into life on this planet? Aliens perhaps?

I think that you're responsible for what happens to you in your life. You can pray all day for that broken lightbulb to be fixed but if you just pray nothing's going to happen, unless your brother hears you and replaces the bulb for you, but then again your brother isn't God.

Likewise, praying for 100 UAI is going to get you nowhere if you don't study and answer all the questions in the exam.

A major part of what happens in life revolves around the individual believing he can achieve his goals and taking initiative in proceeding towards them. People must believe in themselves and try their best before asking for His assistance.

Last edited:

Sophie777

The bible is Gods word. The parts written by the disciples is them apparantly writing Gods word. The reason it doesn't make sense is because it isn't true.

superbird

HSC
Sophie777 said:
The bible is Gods word. The parts written by the disciples is them apparantly writing Gods word. The reason it doesn't make sense is because it isn't true.
Once again sophie777 you show ur arrogance towards other religions. You have absolutely no right what so ever to say that the Bible or even the Koran for that matter is not true. Show some respect for the billions of people around the world who have religion and stop thinking about urself!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sophie, nobody respects someone who tries to use their extremely limited understanding of doctrine to discredit any declared opinions, even those in the form of religious faith.

Besides, if something doesn't make sense TO YOU it isn't necessarily nonsense. Any idiot can read something that doesn't make sense to them, yet makes sense to everyone else.

cowsushi

HSC
N/A
to digress... i believe in a holy ghost god rather than a father, or human god, does that make sense? it doesnt really to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)