Does Grogg make you dumber? (1 Viewer)

Drone23

HSC
Heya, just curious..
i'm doing hsc soon... Doing year 11 at the moment - i'm doing fine.

Just curious, will drinking alcohol (getting drunk), say every second weekend, give u a disability among other classmates in learning

Thanks

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe you should worry more about studying and focusing on school than getting shit faced say, every "two weeks"?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The guideline for men is 2 drinks per day maximum, and no more than 4 on any given day (iirc).

Because you're particularly young, you'd be advised to stay well below these guidelines.

Drinking above these guidelines will apparently increase your risk of dying from alcohol related causes to a level above your lifetime risk of dying from a car accident. If you exceed the guidelines, you could possibly experience a range of health problems, liver, bowel, heart etc...

Drinking at high levels is correlated with increased rates of mental illness, but it's unlikely to significantly and permanently decrease your intelligence, unless you drink at serious alcoholic levels, afaik.

I wouldn't stress about it for your hsc. Unless you start on a case a day, every day, you're not going to have any problems.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Heya, just curious..
i'm doing hsc soon... Doing year 11 at the moment - i'm doing fine.

Just curious, will drinking alcohol (getting drunk), say every second weekend, give u a disability among other classmates in learning

Thanks
It's highly unlikely. Alcohol does not kill brain cells and it generally takes addiction-level drinking (e.g. every third day or more) to cause long-term changes in your brain's gene regulation.

Most of the deleterious effects of alcohol actually stem from physical causes - binge drinking (as you mention above) is actually incredibly harsh on your body (not just in terms of hangovers, but disease and cancer risk in later life as well). The reason for this is that ethanol itself is fairly harmless in your body but it needs to be converted to toxic aldehyde before it can be removed from your body (or more accurately to prevent CNS depression to the point you stop breathing). The build-up of aldehyde is what causes puking and hangovers.

what he said. In the long term there is a possibility of serious neurological damage. But I think in the short term even though it kills ur brain cells they repair, but im no dr phil so i cant be certain. ..
Um, not really.

Though if you are under 16 (ideally 18), alcohol can have significant effects on your brain's development since your brain is still changing so much at this age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)