Does it matter what school you go to? (2 Viewers)

Prankster9015

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering. I go to a school that doesn't have a great academic record. Does it really matter what school you go to because i was thinking about selective, or can you do just as well in any school? Does the quality of teaching differ from different schools. I was wondering if going to a selective school would make a difference to my overall HSC or can you do just as good in any school? If so, what is the point of selective schools?

A l

HSC
N/A
Prankster9015 said:
I was just wondering. I go to a school that doesn't have a great academic record. Does it really matter what school you go to because i was thinking about selective, or can you do just as well in any school? Does the quality of teaching differ from different schools. I was wondering if going to a selective school would make a difference to my overall HSC or can you do just as good in any school? If so, what is the point of selective schools?
Being in a selective school doesn't guarantee you high marks, so going to a selective school would make no direct difference on your overall HSC performance. You can perform just as well in any other school because in the end you are compared to the entire state candidature anyway.
The purpose of selective schools is to place academically talented students together in one competitive environment where they are intellectually stimulated and psychologically motivated. It allows these students to compete against other students who are of similar talented academic ability to them. In many selective schools, this purpose may not have been achieved in some students.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Theoretically, you can do well in any school. The quality of teaching does differ from school to school because of many different factors. Theoretically you can do well in any school. Selective schools are there because they are seen to further the student's abilities, which theoretically means that they have a better chance of doing better in the HSC and thus get a higher UAI. It's all really about the effort that the student puts into their work.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
you can perform well in any school. for instance bethlehem at ashfield doesn't have a good ranking but one student topped the state in ancient history and got a uai of 99

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
politik said:
That was Samantha Soueid I think. They even put her on the front noticeboard - probably because Bethlehem has never achieved anything in its 90+ year history...
my history extention class is combined with there one and the teacher was telling us that she only used notes she got from class. she never used study guides or even had a tutor and ended up doing so well which is pretty amazing.

Dragie

HSC
politik said:
They didnt put me on any noticeboard at DLSA and I came 3rd in the state in Business :(... But then again we dont even have a noticeboard.
I wanna be 3rd in something lol
or 2nd...
come to think of it...1st would be very nice

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
politik said:
They didnt put me on any noticeboard at DLSA and I came 3rd in the state in Business :(... But then again we dont even have a noticeboard.
Awww... poor you... :(

rama_v

HSC
Prankster9015 said:
I was just wondering. I go to a school that doesn't have a great academic record. Does it really matter what school you go to ?
Not at all. It matters what teachers you have and how much work you put in.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
LMAO we had someone who got 99.93 in our school....

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
rama_v said:
Not at all. It matters what teachers you have and how much work you put in.
Your incorrect.
If noone at your school gets a UAI of over 90, you will fail teh HSC.

rama_v

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Your incorrect.
If noone at your school gets a UAI of over 90, you will fail teh HSC.
Two years ago no one got over 90 at my school. Last year we had 7 people get over 90 and I got 99.35 hmmm

braz777

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Yes. It does matter what school you went to.
no it dosent matter what school u go 2!!! look at my school we only have 150 in my high school department and last year all the yr 12 go early entry 2 7 different uni's so it realy dosent matter in the end.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
rama_v said:
Two years ago no one got over 90 at my school. Last year we had 7 people get over 90 and I got 99.35 hmmm
lol. a feat. which was well praised at mitchell! =)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
technically this is true - in practice it is far more difficult due to the comparative scaling and manipulating results to fit the bell curve. but back to the original question on selective high schools --> no, you don't have to be at one to get a good UAI, but it does help. Generally speaking, selective schools are attract a higher calibre of teachers (once again, let me say, I'm generalising here, there are always exceptions) and, most importantly, a higher calibre of students. now, when I say higher calibre of students I am not trying to sound snobbish and say that people from selective schools are smarter than everyone else - that's not what I meant. What I mean is that there's a greater proportion of students who are at school because they want to be: there's a higher level of dedication. This creates a better academic environment for all students. It is, after all, a proven fact that people perform better when they are competing against people of the same or higher abilities than themselves - nothing like a bit of incentive to help you perform!

Now, please understand, I'm not trying to say that you can't get a fantastic UAI at a traditional public high school. However, contrast the person who said that they got 99.35 with 7 other people in their year getting over 90. now that's great, however contrast that to my old selective high school - in 2004 (my grad yr) we had roughy 160 people in our year and out of that 160 over 90% of the students got a UAI of over 85 with most getting over 90. our top mark was 99.99 and we had 6 others who got in the 99.9+ range. my school, by the way, whilst selective, is not by far one of the top 5 selective NSW schools, so just imagine the results from places like James Ruse and the private colleges like Kings. Nature vs Nurture: your school can't help what nature has provided, it can greatly improve the nurture aspect though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)