Does Lee Kernaghan deserve Aussie of the year (1 Viewer)

Does Lee Kernaghan derserve Aussie of the Year?

• yes

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • no

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

Evilo

HSC
The handouts are based on how much income+assets they actually have. It's not some 'oo we give you money cos you have a farm' system.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Casey Stoner is a legend, well deserved young Australian of the year

Evilo

HSC
Graney said:
Noones blaming former generations for this. They worked hard, and did what was best according to the information available at the time. But with our current knowledge, we can see that much of this land should never have been cleared, and it's madness to continue stripping the land of it's remaining nutrients.
exactly and thats why they need to be educated on how to produce products in drought prone areas. The technology is there, its just a process of education and implentation. In the mean time, many of them a dirt poor because they rely on their farms to survive, so thats where the handouts go (its pretty much the same as the dole etc anyway). Having a farm isnt a free ticket for charity money - despite what some people think.

K

katie_tully

Evilo said:
exactly and thats why they need to be educated on how to produce products in drought prone areas. The technology is there, its just a process of education and implentation. In the mean time, many of them a dirt poor because they rely on their farms to survive, so thats where the handouts go (its pretty much the same as the dole etc anyway). Having a farm isnt a free ticket for charity money - despite what some people think.
Many of them I know are employing management skills to revitalise the soil.

Mum and dad only have 600 sheep left and are turning towards planting salt bush and trees along creek lines to prevent salt buildup and soil degredation. There is a heap of other stuff they're doing but i cbf.
A lot of the older farmers though are too ignorant and stuck in their ways to employ better farming practices.

Evilo

HSC
katie_tully said:
A lot of the older farmers though are too ignorant and stuck in their ways to employ better farming practices.
And thats why people are against the giveouts. But most people want to change, because it sucks major ass being poor.

K

katie_tully

Evilo said:
And thats why people are against the giveouts. But most people want to change, because it sucks major ass being poor.
The hand outs are a bit useless though, to be honest.
It's giving false hope to a lot of farmers.
$20,000 was what my parents were paying in feed a month, so when you see that a lot of these farmers are in debt in the millions, giving them small financial assistance is providing them with false hope.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
So who does?
I guess someone who's gone into saving the lives of others everyday...

There's no denying that he did contribute to Australia, but with a 20m population, shouldn't the AOTY be someone who affects more than just drought ridden areas.
Saw him speak on tv the other day; talked about focussing on buying Australian goods, from an economics point of view; that might cause negative externalities which he hasn't thought of before he spoke.

We could all be critics I guess; but to a degree; I think awarding AOTY to the head of or an organization who dedicates themselves to saving lives is a better option.

And in terms of donating 1m....yeh, that is a lot of money for one person; but i think a lot of companies and organizations contribute millions to help others...where is their recognition; and doesn't that just make it possible for someone like Packer to donate 20m and buy himself a AOTY

K

katie_tully

Australian of the Year doesn't include major corporations. Deal with it.

I mean, what has Casey Stoner done thats so fantastic? See, it's circular argument.

Kernaghan has done a lot of charity work over the years and is thus deserving of AOTY. Just because it's a charity you dont support doesnt mean it's not worth others supporting. :)

By your argument Fiona Wood shouldn't have been awarded AOTY because her work only deals with burns victims and they dont represent the majority of Aus :)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I mean, what has Casey Stoner done thats so fantastic? See, it's circular argument.
2007 MotoGp World Champion. Pretty fantastic. As far as i know you dont have to help other people directly to be YAOTY. But i am no expert.

K

katie_tully

blakegman said:
2007 MotoGp World Champion. Pretty fantastic. As far as i know you dont have to help other people directly to be YAOTY. But i am no expert.
I was making a point.
I don't care that Stoner got YAOTY. I was responding to SipSips argument that there are more deserving people who 'should' have gotten AOTY.

I think awarding AOTY to the head of or an organization who dedicates themselves to saving lives is a better option.
Is what he said :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
High food prices fuck over net importing countries (i.e. Japan). There's some good things to having a strong domestic farming industry whether it's protectionist policies or not.

I can post up the special report The Economist did a month or two ago if anyone wants.

Razzah

HSC
chicky_pie said:
no i don't think he deserves it!!

lets build islamic schools over farming properties instead :apig:
You are ridiculously right-wing. Sorry, felt the need to state that.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont deny he does good work, but i think what you've got to ask yourself if somebody who had raised just as much money but WASNT a "celebrity" would they have gotten australian of the year?

i think sadly the answer is no

it's just a popularity contest

i'm far more interested in who gets the AO's every year

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
So they saw a situation, sunk all their money into it, and it didn't pay off. You know when this happens on the stock market, it's called "stiff shit".
Then again there are pretty clear cut benefits of, you know, making food and whatever as opposed to toying around with teh monies on teh stock market.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Then again there are pretty clear cut benefits of, you know, making food and whatever as opposed to toying around with teh monies on teh stock market.
If I restrict my stock market toying to companies like Kelloggs, Golden Circle and Cadbury Schweppes the analogy remains valid.

collieflower16

HSC
withoutaface said:
Why should we support our farmers if they can't support themselves?
i think Lee Kernaghan has done so much for Australia, and yes in particular the people that live in rural areas, such as farmers. to the person who said "why should we support our farmers if they cant support themselves" hav u ever lived on a farm in a drought?? hav u ever worked so hard for a piece of land to come even or even get just a lil ahead? where do u think the groceries that u buy at the supermarket cum from?? if the farmers of australia go under, and all our produce is imported, prices of food will go thru the roof and nothing will be genuinely fresh.
the farmers of australia do all they can to support themselves, and provide different produce to the population of australia... how can ne1 b so ignorant as to not acknowledge wat they do for us??

Lee Kernaghan is a true role model for Australia because he does provide support for these hard working australians. with his music Lee has achieved so much, not for himself but for others

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)