does only having general maths and standard english weaken your UAI (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, I'm in third year. It's a Chinese girl from St George Girls.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
No, I'm in third year. It's a Chinese girl from St George Girls.
Ok, fair enough. I thought you were referring to the korean girl - slightly taken aback by the knowledge that she was doing pharmacy when she isn't...

suckmyc0ck2101

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I don't mean to be rude, but to be quite honest, why would someone doing both Standard English and General Maths be planning on going to University, let alone achieving a very high UAI? If they can't cope with the higher level subjects at this stage, maybe TAFE would be a better option...
im doing standard english and general maths and i do chemistry biology and modern history and i have applied for a bachelor of marine science , you only need to do a bit in statistics in the course, and you don't even need to do maths at all for this subject to get in, there are soooo many degrees to choose from where you do not need advance english or advance maths. SCIENE COURSES!!! you shouldn't be going to uni with that fucking ignorance

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^True, you don't need it if it's not a prerequisite. But it's very helpful to have an understanding of maths at the 2U advanced maths level in the sciences at tertiary level in general . I'm not aware of how much maths is needed for the marine science course in particular, but I don't think knowing maths at the 2u level would hurt. For the non-environmental or biological sciences such as physics, maths, chemistry, 2U maths would definitely be in order.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
its true that those subjects are scaled down but the thing to remember is that if you try and do advanced english and mathematics instead of standard and general, you might end up doing worse if its too hard, than if you did the lesser courses and did well.
its all about finding your own level and doing subjects you can do well in

omgd.

HSC
N/A
I guess the only disadvantage you will face ( maybe ) is that you would have to put in a lot more time & effort into maths and english to make sure you get well above average if you get me ?

And it bugs me when people mock these two subjects

1) because people assume that they're significantly easy ( english probably has less work ) but you have to keep in mind that since most people in it find it easy there is much more competition & you also compete with the advance students in some areas

&

2) general maths is not as easy as people think it is. You have to get high 90's to beat the average. And the course is really frustrating. I know 4u people who get confused in general maths. 80% of the test is easy, then you have 20% that'll totally blow you away. I used to be one of those people who underestimated general maths till i saw the yearlies at my school this year

AND
People should do whatever subject they want to do
if they don't like maths & english they don't have to do adv & 2u
its not about how smart you are
its about what you enjoy

A lot of people really need to learn to be more considerate ...

EDIT: and no, i dont do either of these subjects, it just bothers me how people who do these subjects always get looked down upon.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Enobarbus said:
i really doubt that

My friend was asking 4u people for help
before her exam ( trials )
and they were like ' wtf '
and one of these people had an estimate of 98
i was suprised too
thats when i looked through the past paper
and yeah
realised i shouldnt under estimate ppl who do general maths
o_O
but its okay if you dont believe me =)
i just know better than to make assumptions now thats all =/

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
omgd. said:
My friend was asking 4u people for help
before her exam ( trials )
and they were like ' wtf '
and one of these people had an estimate of 98
i was suprised too
thats when i looked through the past paper
and yeah
realised i shouldnt under estimate ppl who do general maths
o_O
but its okay if you dont believe me =)
i just know better than to make assumptions now thats all =/
Usually there is one question at the end that very few people know how to complete it. The rest is basic..

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
m.dematos said:
does only having general maths and standard english weaken your UAI?
if so what is the maximum score you can acheive?
As others have said, 90+ is definitely possible. However, if that was Advanced English, 90+ would be much easier.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
m.dematos said:
I think its possible to do well but its really risky and you must work real hard.
In my case If i had done general maths, tbh i dont think i would've achieved 90+ and wouldn't get into the course i wanted because your missing out bonus points which are a real lifesaver.

Its much easier to receive bonus points than to earn the required marks for the course you want, that's why you must pick your subjects carefully.

georgefren

HSC
It is possible to do well with general maths, there are loads of people who do. It doesn't scale well, but that's alright if you do really really well in it.

But standard english i would not recommend unless you are REALLY struggling with english. Because even if you come first in standard english, it's only equivalent to about a 95 in advanced, scaled. And since this is the two units that must count towards your hsc, your hsc will be dragged down by this.

You CAN do well with these subjects, but it's much harder than if you just did normal maths and adv. english.

dp624

HSC
Coming 1st in standard is not much better than coming 280th in advanced (an aggregate or so)
Coming 1st in general is about the same as 2100th in 3u maths.

With those two subjects your absolute max UAI is 100. But this requires you to TOP both Standard Eng and General maths, in addition to getting scaled 100s in each other UNCAPPED subject. A hard task

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Coming 1st in standard is not much better than coming 280th in advanced (an aggregate or so)
Coming 1st in general is about the same as 2100th in 3u maths.

With those two subjects your absolute max UAI is 100. But this requires you to TOP both Standard Eng and General maths, in addition to getting scaled 100s in each other UNCAPPED subject. A hard task
In terms of aggregate scaled mark, coming first in standard is as good as coming top 150 in english advanced. But it really isn't good, haha.

Yeah, 1st in general = barely top 2000 in 3 unit...

georgefren

HSC
oh wow.

anyway, our school doesnt even OFFER general maths and standard english. probably for that reason.

abcdeg

HSC
if you do very well at them you'll be fine. i got 98 and did general maths and my friend who also does it got 99 :spin:

dp624

HSC
abcdeg said:
if you do very well at them you'll be fine. i got 98 and did general maths and my friend who also does it got 99 :spin:
but, say if you did 4u.. that 98 couldve been a 99 and the 99 could have easily been a 99.50

Peta Moran

HSC
only having general will only lower your UAI if you dont put effort in. if you put in enough effort, having those two subjects will pay off. just do your best, hope everything works out

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
majority of uni cource do not rely on having an intricate knowledge of maths and english and are not primarily based around them either...
HSC : 09 - you have no idea, shut up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)