Does the university you go to matter? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Hi guys,
Before about a week, i was set for going to UNSW for Computer Science and Electrical. However that changed after my friends told me how awesome UOW was at the open day. This is not the only deciding factor.

for me to get to UNSW it would take 2 hours one way and moving out of home would be expensive since rent over there is very expensive.

UOW is 45 minutes drive from where I live and the rent there is very affordable. (i do want to live out of home during uni).
UOW actually has a higher student satisfaction than UNSW but obviously its not as prestigious.
However, I do believe that it is more about the individual and what they can do and achieve (especially in my field of interest).

I could spend 5 years travelling on public transport for 4 hours every day or stay with my friends out of home and have a good time for those 5 years.

Now the question is, does it actually matter what uni I went to for my particular area of interest?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If I were you, I would go for UOW.

The degree is often more so a 'licence' to enter the employment pool. There ARE some circumstances where an employer will look for graduates from a specific university, but none that I know of regarding Computer Science.

I would check how long UOW has been offering this course. Employers who look specifically for graduates from a particular university(ies) often do so because that university has been running the course for 50+ years, whereas the newer university has only been running it for 5 years.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I had lots of mates that studied at UoW in IT.

MFW he told me the lecturer straight up used the white board to explain databases and got people to jot down notes xD

astroman

HSC
I'm pretty sure degree's have very similar content throughout all universities, e.g. comp sci at UOW will teach you similar things to UNSW, However, employers do look at universities but it's not the determining factor. What matters most is experience, and aptitude in succeeding in what you do.

Ethaw

HSC
More important is what the university offers. One benefit to UNSW is their flexibility in subject changes or double degrees, and their overseas exchange programs, if this doesn't appeal to you, by all means go to UoW.

Flop21

HSC
They'll be definitely looking at your grades though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)