does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (2 Viewers)

georgefren

HSC
But in the private school defence - the rankings were determined on flawed data. It was a stupid decision SMH made to not only determine school rankings PURELY on quantitive band 6's - and so not evaluating, for instance, the quality of rank within band 6 ; but also PURELY on maths and english - and so ignoring, for instance, all nine languages we topped. grr.

suzlee

HSC
- L - said:
the theory has a BIG FLAW
the fact that most of the top 100 schools in the state are pretty much PRIVATE SCHOOLS.....
Since board of studies is pretty much hired and influenced by the goverment and politicians have so much pride in our PUBLIC education system if they were to rig marks pretty much all the top schools would be public and selective schools.

YOUR theory has a BIG FLAW. What do you mean the top schools WOULD be public and selective schools? Selective schools dominate the top spots.

What you said doesn't actually explain why digimonstudent's theory has a big flaw anyway. He's saying that the BOS or other influential institutes are purposely restricting high marks being given to LOWER RANKED schools in relation to higher ones, not PRIVATE schools in relation to public ones.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
georgefren said:
But in the private school defence - the rankings were determined on flawed data. It was a stupid decision SMH made to not only determine school rankings PURELY on quantitive band 6's - and so not evaluating, for instance, the quality of rank within band 6 ; but also PURELY on maths and english - and so ignoring, for instance, all nine languages we topped. grr.
um no. what??

first of all, yes rankings are limited to over 90s only and does not reflect the 'quality' over 90+s, but how does that favour public schools over private?

and where did you hear that they only count maths and english? rankings are determined by the % of 90+ over total exams entered. topping a language doesn't mean anything, it's like ruse getting 13/20 in chem - they still only count as a DA entry.

dp624

HSC
Let's not shove this into a private vs public debate haha

georgefren

HSC
Haha, no it wasnt a serious complaint. and it wasnt in defence of PRIVATE schools in general. It was more like a defence of OUR school's shit position in comparison to how well we thought we actually did.

feel free to ignore it.

suzlee

HSC
This thread caused so much controversy :|

It will live on forever one way or another...

dp624

HSC
Well ruse doesnt offer as many languages (french and jap last i checked). What's not to say ruse wouldn't top a lot of them too? lawl

georgefren

HSC
hahaha well it is kinda unfair with some of the languages like latin and ancient greek. we're like the only half-decent school that offers ancient greek, so we got about 9/10 state placings in it.

but ruse would NEVER topple us from that throne. NEVER!

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
hahaha well it is kinda unfair with some of the languages like latin and ancient greek. we're like the only half-decent school that offers ancient greek, so we got about 9/10 state placings in it.

I agree, cos with our current outlook, =O @ school in next few years
lol

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
georgefren said:

basically like ruse in ag

dp624

HSC
well ruse did pwn chem pretty hard this year. 13/20 for a pretty high profile subject. unlike ag or mod or languages (imo)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Apparently, Ruse's weakest subject is History Extension....lol

lionking1191

HSC
Trebla said:
lol we failed hard at eng ext1. wasn't it in 2003 that we actually beat ruse in english? aww the good times.. :(

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
Where did you get this? man i want some stats ahah

lionking1191

HSC
dp624 said:
my english teacher, so perhaps not the most reliable source of info, hahah.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
Alright then, according to the DA for Ruse here are the number of band E4s for History Extension:
2008: 3
2007: 2
2006: 0
2005: 0
2004: 0
2003: 2
2002: 4

I only noticed this because when I checked out the stats on the Ruse website for their HSC results, I realised History Extension was almost always omitted LOL

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
Alright then, according to the DA for Ruse here are the number of band E4s for History Extension:
2008: 3
2007: 2
2006: 0
2005: 0
2004: 0

LOL
Lol it's because we have like <10 people doing it...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wow, even my school has more people doing History Extension (not to mention more band E4s) than Ruse...

Despite the low candidature, you can't argue with the zeros lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)