Does Year11 really matter? (1 Viewer)

new york doll

HSC
Does it matter if you fail a subject in Year 11? Hypothetically speaking, let's say I was struggling in a particular subject. However I don't intend to continue studying that subject in year12. Does this mean that I can "slack off" for the rest of the year? o_O

P

pLuvia

new york doll said:
Does it matter if you fail a subject in Year 11? Hypothetically speaking, let's say I was struggling in a particular subject. However I don't intend to continue studying that subject in year12. Does this mean that I can "slack off" for the rest of the year? o_O
yes and no...
if ur going to drop a subject and lets say u fail that.. their not gonna make u redo it just because of that.. If you drop it i guess you could slack off but try and at least do the task required.. at least hand it in i mean.
coz at my skool.. if u slack off real bad, eg not hand in assessments, do REAL badly in tests etc.. u would get an N award warning letter sent home after a while.. so becareful..

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if you're not going to continue with it then dont worry about working too hard. but on the other hand, at least do the assessment tasks so you dont fail your whole prelim course. do them as half assed as you want but still hand them in. thats what im doing for early childhood this year, coz im not doing it next year.

Trev

stix
HSC
kadlil said:
yes and no...
if ur going to drop a subject and lets say u fail that.. their not gonna make u redo it just because of that.. If you drop it i guess you could slack off but try and at least do the task required.. at least hand it in i mean.
coz at my skool.. if u slack off real bad, eg not hand in assessments, do REAL badly in tests etc.. u would get an N award warning letter sent home after a while.. so becareful..
I got an N award warning for Chem; I have ~15 research assignments and pracs due so fingers crossed I don't get another warning :mad: lol.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
If you don't plan to continue a particular subject in year 12, you can slack off, but since you chose it, you have the responsibility to attend your classes and study it until the end of the year.

Generally, however, year 11 is not the time for slacking off. You might hear from year 12s who are doing their assessments that they wish they could have jigged more classes in year 11 when they had the chance, but year 11 is probably just as important as year 12.

You need a strong foundation built during year 11 if you don't want to be struggling in year 12. Your year 12 assessments and the HSC are testing what you have learned throughout your 6 years at high school, although specifically targeted at the year 12 syllabus. With subjects such as maths, year 11 topics are included in the trials and the HSC exams, and you need a good understanding of science concepts for year 12 sciences to make sense.

Keep that in mind. Appreciate the fact that your failed year 11 assessments will not count towards your HSC mark, but still do your best. :)

P

pLuvia

Trev said:
I got an N award warning for Chem; I have ~15 research assignments and pracs due so fingers crossed I don't get another warning :mad: lol.
lol.. man stupid teacher for PE in yr 10.. we had dancing for PE in yr 10 for a term.. and i cbb to do it.. and like the teacher says. ok all the ppl who didnt dance get N award warning.. im HOLY SHIT :eek:.. my parents are gonna kill me.. :p.. stupid teacher.. :):(

Trev

stix
HSC
kadlil said:
lol.. man stupid teacher for PE in yr 10.. we had dancing for PE in yr 10 for a term.. and i cbb to do it.. and like the teacher says. ok all the ppl who didnt dance get N award warning.. im HOLY SHIT :eek:.. my parents are gonna kill me.. :p.. stupid teacher.. :):(
Haha, I had never heard of N awards until year 11/12.

P

pLuvia

Trev said:
Haha, I had never heard of N awards until year 11/12.
lol.. the teachers told us all bout it in yr 9 AND yr 10.. they started giving them out in yr 9.. lol.. 3 N awards and u dun get ur SC or HSC

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Maths matters.

Physics, Economics you need to know the concepts for year 12.

Modern History.. don't need to even do year 11!

English.. You get a taste of journeys, like how you write essays etc.

HSC
imo all subjects (that i do) matter

english; you are taught a totally different area of study (granted), however you are taught how to look for techniques, test study strategies etc..
maths; no doubt in all maths you need to know even last years, its all preassumed knowledge plus in maths they ALWAYS ask you prelim work
chemistry; you dont need all the course, but you need alot of the concepts such as bonding
IT; half the modules tested in hSC is done in prelim ( i think)
SDD; it doesnt really matter THAt much, but the prelim sdd syllabus and hsc sdd syllabus the difference is hsc sdd syllabus expands on it further s oif you can nail in the prelim sdd syllabus you can have good grounding
BS: the main concept that drags over from prelim bs is accounting work

7minute

HSC
Maths matters. Really matters. If you don't understand things in Year 11 maths, there's gonna be no way you'll understand Year 12 maths. I think in 2 unit they can make up to 25% of the exam from the Year 11 syllabus and in 3 unit it goes up to 30%. I don't know the exact figures, they're what I remember being told 2 years ago.

It's also important for languages -the more vocab and grammar you absorb in Year 11, the easier it'll be to build on it in Year 12 and you'll be more fluent and comprehending etc; etc;.

HSC
For general maths its upto 20% of the previous year, and they ALWAYS put general questions from year 11, luckily most year 11 general work is just the basis of year 12 work, (example, algebraic modelling 1 & 2)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
slacking off will bring in bad habits which im sure you dont want for next year. well in my pespective its good that you might be getting poor marks now because you will learn from them and not do them agains and then you can improve on them this is from experience anyways.

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
don't slack off...get into a good study habit while you're in year 11..or you'l have trouble in year 12.. like i'm havin trouble -_-

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Not only that, but if you don't satisfactorily complete a Prelim course, you're not allowed to continue with that course/any course until you *have* finished it.

Or so I've been told. ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)