Doing honours/masters or PHD (1 Viewer)

radio-waves

HSC
Well, I was just thinking what are WE trying to achieve when we do one of those things I listed above ?

What is difference between one person getting his PHD in maths (specific field) compared to another person gettin his PHD in maths (in a different field) eg pure or applied..

I'm also talking about jobs ?

Is getting a PHD enough to become a lecturer at uni level or school level.. ??

Pace_T

HSC
Er.. what exactly are you asking here?
i thought it was pretty obvious?

yes ive noticed phd is more for people wanting to teach at uni or whatever. honours/masters doesn't do much in my line of work.

gurusson

HSC
but some jobs may require a masters, like the job i want at CERN

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yeah. In my field (biology/geoscience), get a PhD or you will be laughed at, pretty much.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
but some jobs may require a masters, like the job i want at CERN
I plan on doing a Masters of Economics part-time once I finish my current degree. I don't actually know why I'm doing it, but my eventual aim is to be an old, wise Docotor of Economics, much like Jebediah Bartlet in West Wing.
<3 Bartlet

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Because without it, you don't have the experience in the field to be taken seriously.

Scissors

HSC
Because without it, you don't have the experience in the field to be taken seriously.

oh sorry, i didn't read that correctly. i thought that said "get a phd and you will be laughed at".

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah. In my field (biology/geoscience), get a PhD or you will be laughed at, pretty much.
Is that not just Australia? I know that in social sciences in America, you can get a lot done before you get awarded your PhD; partly because the whole grad process takes so long, partly because they start so early (right after bachelors), but also because the encourage extensive work/publishing/experience during the grad degree.

undalay

HSC
For teaching at a high school level, your pay scale will increase with PhD/masters (apparently)

radio-waves

HSC
Hey Exphate-
How long do you think doing hon's will take ??

What exactly do you do when doing your hon's in mathematics- because i was thinkin about going abit further with pure ?

spence

HSC
Hey Exphate-
How long do you think doing hon's will take ??

What exactly do you do when doing your hon's in mathematics- because i was thinkin about going abit further with pure ?
Honours is generally one year

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Really, in maths, a PhD just proves that you're going to be a lecturer forever.

Either way, getting a PhD really puts you in line to be a lecturer all your life.
I find both of those untrue and quite stereotypic. Many maths doctorates work in a wide variety of industries, and a PhD does not imply you want to become an academic, nor is it the only criterion to become one.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
I plan on doing a Masters of Economics part-time once I finish my current degree. I don't actually know why I'm doing it, but my eventual aim is to be an old, wise Docotor of Economics, much like Jebediah Bartlet in West Wing.
<3 Bartlet
Why not do an honors year? It's shorter and more prestigious (isn't it?).

HSC
"Nothing awesomer than an overqualified graduate with zilch experience" This be right? How long after completion of an undergrad degree does a person usually go on to postgrad stuff?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
"Nothing awesomer than an overqualified graduate with zilch experience" This be right? How long after completion of an undergrad degree does a person usually go on to postgrad stuff?
Whenever the employer will pay for it. :D

Tbh though, AFAIK, unless you do your honours year, the admission criteria to most Master degrees is around 3-5 years work experience.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Why not do an honors year? It's shorter and more prestigious (isn't it?).
Because I might be getting sponsorship, which I will have to pay back in return service of the amount of year sponsored, plus one. So I'm trying to cut down on the amount of time I'm sponsored so as to avoid being stuck in a job too long.

radio-waves

HSC
Well, I'm planning on become a high school teacher, So I might aswell go for hon's and maybe PhD..

I'll talk to my tut on wed, cuz his a phd student and get an insight =]

Thanks all =] esp exphate xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)