Dorm Ettiquite? (1 Viewer)

Doomah

HSC
What are some of the fopars and no-nos of living on campus?

Obvious ones would be taking other peoples food.

Evilo

HSC
Sometimes when living in close proximity, many people get angry and uptight etc, so make sure when you see those signs -you stay well away. Just keep in mind that people have ups and downs in their life, so you have to be considerate of their feelings.

Try not to say anything too controversial - racism, discrimination etc - i know a few people who said some pretty sour things, and have limited friends on campus as a result. On the other hand, if its just joking or you actually have a point, then fire away. But yeah some people are a lot more sensitive to those things – just be considerate and think before opening your mouth.

Be yourself – you can’t hide your true personality 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. People will eventually see through you

Evilo

HSC
People get 'on edge' if you keep making noise at night (after say 10pm at most halls). Invest in some headphones (a good pair is very useful) and use them at 10pm. I spent $50 on mine, and it was money well spent.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You're going to meet just about every single personality type you can conjure up, so just accept people as people. Don't try and bed them to your way of thinking or make the into what you want because it's usually a very good way to nd up at another's throat very quickly.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Clean up after yourself, and dont be a lazy arse :)

Evilo

HSC
yeah Objects is right, you're going to meet alot of different people, with heaps of different backgrounds, political affiliation, up bringing etc. Fighting with them over something mentioned above won't achieve anything positive. Just maintain a clear distinction between 'discussion' and 'arguing'. But if someone does say something controversial, dont be intimidated not to reply back. I mean half the point of being at uni is to get the complete "university experience" and see what other people believe in (and discuss it)

Evilo

HSC
Doomah said:
Obvious ones would be taking other peoples food.
Sorry to troll, but yeah dont leave an "oppourtunity" for that to happen to you :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
yeah Objects is right, you're going to meet alot of different people, with heaps of different backgrounds, political affiliation, up bringing etc. Fighting with them over something mentioned above won't achieve anything positive. Just maintain a clear distinction between 'discussion' and 'arguing'. But if someone does say something controversial, dont be intimidated not to reply back. I mean half the point of being at uni is to get the complete "university experience" and see what other people believe in (and discuss it)
Why is it that other people are so much more articulate than me on the internet?

My point was that some people try to establish themselves as some kind of authority around the place, almost policing others. I know a girl in my college who assumes she is the only one who knows anything and is really aggressive to people who try to contradict her or disagree with her even in the slightest. She does it because she "wants to be taken seriously" because she is "knowledgable and independent", but in reality she's simply a bitch who does nothing, expects everything and then wonders why no-one likes her.

I know another who delights in pausing converations to point out th speaker's flaws: they move their hands too much when they speak, or they have certain words they like to use that she doesn't like. She too is unpopular simply because she cannot hold a normal conversation.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Thought Shark said:
Quite possibly the best word to describe you and your posts. You're the worst troll ever; I'd rather have pookie spit me for dinner (what happened to her, anyway) than acknowledge you as having more than two brain cells.

See, kids, this is exactly what you don't do!

Thought Shark

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Quite possibly the best word to describe you and your posts. You're the worst troll ever; I'd rather have pookie spit me for dinner (what happened to her, anyway) than acknowledge you as having more than two brain cells.
Hope that made you feel better, sweetie.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Thought Shark said:
Hope that made you feel better, sweetie.
I notice you didn't bother to read the last line of that post.

See, who says I can't be sarcastic and educational at the same time?

Now where's pooike with that spit?

Evilo

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
She too is unpopular simply because she cannot hold a normal conversation.
Summary - dont be a knob, and try and be social (like actually have 'real' conversations with people)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
ObjectsInSpace said:
I know a girl in my college who assumes she is the only one who knows anything and is really aggressive to people who try to contradict her or disagree with her even in the slightest. She does it because she "wants to be taken seriously" because she is "knowledgable and independent", but in reality she's simply a bitch who does nothing, expects everything and then wonders why no-one likes her.
I also know a person exactly like that :\

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Summary - dont be a knob, and try and be social (like actually have 'real' conversations with people)
Yes, you generally avoid discussin other peoples faults unless there's no way the conversation can get back to them or if it's entirely expected ... like discussing whether Sean Connery or Daniel Craig is the better James Bond, for instance.

Thought Shark

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
I notice you didn't bother to read the last line of that post.

See, who says I can't be sarcastic and educational at the same time?
Now where's pooike with that spit?
My respect grows for you with every post you make. Please, continue sir.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
don't act like your better than someone because your doing medicine (or some other high UAI course).

or just don't act like that period.

Thought Shark

HSC
Hagaren said:
don't act like your better than someone because your doing medicine (or some other high UAI course).

I can imagine that being a real problem for some people.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Hagaren said:

And n-one actually cares what your UAI is after about two weeks. If you're living in a college in particular, it's generally an unspoken rule that we don't ask what you got, so you don't tell us. All we care about is the fact that you're one of us; whatever has happened has happened and if that doesn't immediately affect the here and now - especially in the first two weeks - then it doesn't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)