dot point 1.4 Foundation Study: Aboriginals (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
hey eveyone :p

i am just writing up my study notes and i am having trouble with this dot point:
  • the nature of aboriginal spirituality
- the integration of christianity and aboriginal belief systems by many aboriginal people

:confused: could someone please tell me what do we cover under this dot point? or what did you write in your notes for this?

thankyou, good luck with this year!
:)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Integration of Christianity to Aboriginal Belief System
- After being forced into the mission, Aboriginal people went back to try and live their normal lives, yet took with them some of the Catholic language and beliefs to their new lives.
- Some aboriginal have integrated their stories with that of the Christian religions, with stories of creations and good and evil which werent evident before European colonisation.
- Some however have developed a Christian practice which touches on Aboriginal beliefs.
- The churches are agreeing with this situation, setting up theological training which prepares Aboriginal people to become Christian ministers is their own groups.

Aboriginal Spirituality incorporated in Christian beliefs
- Smoking ceremonies and some prayer technique
- Many christians have a greater concern for the natural environment

not very detailed, but thats all i can remember.

good luck!

= Jennifer =

HSC
so really this dot point links in with the other dot point:

the effect of missions and missionary activity on Aboriginal belief systems from the original contact period through to more recent times

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
well, come to think about it, it does. but i got other stuff written under that dot point.. ''the efft of missionaries''

but yeah, integration of xianity and aboriginal spirituality is a consequence of the missions...

good thinking :)

Jennibeans

HSC
sorry if i repeat anything thats already been said im just reading off my notes
By the beginning of the 21st century there had been several generations of Christian missionary activity among Aboriginal people. Although the Christian missionaries thought they were doing the right thing and tried to convert the "heathen" Aboriginals to Christianity what happened was that they forbade practice of Aboriginal culture. Over time Aboriginal culture began to show bits of Christian culture
Examples:
* scriptures translated into Indigenous languages & used by Aboriginal clergy
* Aboriginal people had begun to study theology
* Aboriginal theologians used symbols & rituals from their own indigenous culture to express their Christian theology (they call this contexualised theology & it is seen to be 1 of the most significant Australian contributions to Christian theology)
* traditional smoking ceremonies are now often used during Christian services. Aboriginal Catholic eslie Heiss performed 1 such ceremony in front of Pope John Paul II & 220000 other people
* Aboriginal people combine belief in Christian God of Heaven with the Aboriginal concept of the earth mother.
* Many churches now accept this blending of beliefs unlike the early missionaries who discouraged it

Hope I helped

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
no worries! i got more detailed notes somewhere.. just get back to me in a week or so and i'll give em to you :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jennibeans
sorry if i repeat anything thats already been said im just reading off my notes
By the beginning of the 21st century there had been several generations of Christian missionary activity among Aboriginal people. Although the Christian missionaries thought they were doing the right thing and tried to convert the "heathen" Aboriginals to Christianity what happened was that they forbade practice of Aboriginal culture. Over time Aboriginal culture began to show bits of Christian culture
Examples:
* scriptures translated into Indigenous languages & used by Aboriginal clergy
* Aboriginal people had begun to study theology
* Aboriginal theologians used symbols & rituals from their own indigenous culture to express their Christian theology (they call this contexualised theology & it is seen to be 1 of the most significant Australian contributions to Christian theology)
* traditional smoking ceremonies are now often used during Christian services. Aboriginal Catholic eslie Heiss performed 1 such ceremony in front of Pope John Paul II & 220000 other people
* Aboriginal people combine belief in Christian God of Heaven with the Aboriginal concept of the earth mother.
* Many churches now accept this blending of beliefs unlike the early missionaries who discouraged it

Hope I helped
You could also throw in here egs of the olympic opening ceremony (the welcome to country thingy), anything that is "big" usually has a traditional acknowledgement of traditional owners (eg the Focus on Learning conference held by the P/matta CEO last year had one of these ceremonies to open the conference), basically any 'big' religious event (usually Catholic) will have an Aboriginal element (which you could argue is tokenistic.....)
You can also mention Rainbow Spirit Theology here as well (Aboriginal version of theology)
Could also argue any of the 'modern' missions (as oppposed to a reserve) are a blending of the two religious beliefs/spiritualities......
Also, if you want to get technical, be aware that the dot point is asking about Aboriginal people, not 'white' people (not that it really matters..
and yes, there is a big link between
the effect of missions and missionary activity on Aboriginal belief systems from the original contact period through to more recent times and this point (essentially the same point from two different perspectives if you think about it)
sorry that this is longwinded..... but I hope it helps

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah the new cathedral at parramatta has aboriginal art instead of the traditional stained glass windows :)

~Hmmmmmm.....~

Hi i'm having a bit of trouble with my notes in this section (Aboriginal spirituality) too ... there's heaps of info out there but i'm not sure wat is relevant or necessary to know for the hsc

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
which points r u having trouble with ~Hmmmmmm.....~ ??

post em up :p

Jennibeans

HSC
i had a bit of trouble fitting info into relevant or irrelevant too but i have an excellent study guide that is organised under the dot points from the syllabus. once i knew what they put under each point i could add to it from my class notes/text.

macquarie revision guide HSC studies of religion

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hahah yeah i heard excel study in a month book is great too! (for sor1)

yeah its breif, but outlines everything..
i didnt use it but. i didnt know they had one for sor1 :S

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
IMHO, I wouldnt touch the excel SOR in a month book if you paid me.

The standard/level of information in it is around band 2/3
I would only use it for the activities but they are pretty basic as well!

Stick with macquarie-its got more detail and grunt

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i know what you mean. i never used study in a month for serious study. only for last minute study - you know, morning efore exams...

people should just make their own notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)