DOt point Biology? (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
Do you find dot point book useful, when preparing for exams? Or generally are they useful? I am not sure which one is better Success One or Dot point.
My question is : Is it worth to spend time on doing Dot point question? Or better to do just past papers?</SPAN>
What is the best method of practicing questions in your opinion?

Brontecat

HSC
Both are useful. Dotpoint is good for re-inforcing class work as it focuses on each individual syllabus dotpoint (from both columns) and success one is good for practicing how questions may be asked in an exam.
Last year I just used both, i had 2-3 exams that I split up into seperate topics and did them whilst I focused on the syllabus dotpoints (sometimes using dotpoint & sometimes HSC online)

hope this helps :)

mioumiou

HSC
Do you find dot point book useful, when preparing for exams? Or generally are they useful? I am not sure which one is better Success One or Dot point.
My question is : Is it worth to spend time on doing Dot point question? Or better to do just past papers?</SPAN>
What is the best method of practicing questions in your opinion?
i find them very useful in both ways, but I will understand the concepts and written my notes first and I'll do the questions in the book. Get both Success One and Dot Point. They're both extremely useful. Dot point will give some extra info and revisions of the topics and then you move on to the past papers to test your knowledge. (and remember to do them under exam conditions and times!!)

BTW, because there's not much HSC Biology Papers (since the syllabus changed in 2002) you may as well find some more trial papers from good schools. There are some on this website as well as some very useful notes (maybe from the past state rankers!! :) )

http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=10

mioumiou

HSC
Edit: As it as been mentioned above from Brontecat, it is also useful to spilt 2-3 papers (after you have done them) into topics, that way, you can know where's your strength and weaknesses. :)

There's a book called Creelman Biology past paper book, it's sorted out for you already with a few past papers sorted into topics (there's a new edition every year) but I'm not sure if the answers and that great though.

Good luck with your studies!!

anulik

HSC
Thanks for advises. I am using currently both, I was just wondering whether it is effective or not?
Where can I find some more biology papers? Any help will be highly appreciated

mioumiou

HSC
Thanks for advises. I am using currently both, I was just wondering whether it is effective or not?
Where can I find some more biology papers? Any help will be highly appreciated
Did you have a look on the resource section on BOS?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I've used Dot-point, i've even bought the whole series for the three main sciences. I would say that, although its not bad, its not good enough for you to spend your time using it. Its better to summarise your textbook or do past papers. I would say past papers are god when it comes to study.

Allow me to make an important distinction though. The 'Dot-Point Biology Investigations' is an excellent book. It covers all points in the third column of the syllabus (i.e the pracs). If gives you info, gives you a guideline, some questions and gives you suggested answers. If pracs are your weakness, I highly suggest you use it. The book also fulfills an important niche in the range of biology textbooks- most bio textbooks out there don't go into detail about pracs, or don't talk about pracs altogether.

Edit: As it as been mentioned above from Brontecat, it is also useful to spilt 2-3 papers (after you have done them) into topics, that way, you can know where's your strength and weaknesses. :)

There's a book called Creelman Biology past paper book, it's sorted out for you already with a few past papers sorted into topics (there's a new edition every year) but I'm not sure if the answers and that great though.

Good luck with your studies!!
I've used Creelman biology and also Success One past papers. Let me say one thing: Creelman Biology is GOD. Its the best darn book for biology out there. Everyone needs to get it.

It sorts out all the past questions in syllabus order, so you can use it instantly from the start of the year. The answers are really succinct, really detailed and even provide marking criteria.

Compare this to Success One: questions are sorted by paper, the answers are shit and don't even have marking criteria.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET CREELMAN BIOLOGY

anulik

HSC
Hi Sinophile, thanks for the rep!
I am using Success one for both biology and chemistry, so I might try to arange the topic by topic like creelman.
For past papers, I cant find many on the net, especially for biology, I have seen the past papers on the resources section, but they are not many? Do you know any other websites, that have some more past paers?
Thanks

mioumiou

HSC
I've used Dot-point, i've even bought the whole series for the three main sciences. I would say that, although its not bad, its not good enough for you to spend your time using it. Its better to summarise your textbook or do past papers. I would say past papers are god when it comes to study.

Allow me to make an important distinction though. The 'Dot-Point Biology Investigations' is an excellent book. It covers all points in the third column of the syllabus (i.e the pracs). If gives you info, gives you a guideline, some questions and gives you suggested answers. If pracs are your weakness, I highly suggest you use it. The book also fulfills an important niche in the range of biology textbooks- most bio textbooks out there don't go into detail about pracs, or don't talk about pracs altogether.

I've used Creelman biology and also Success One past papers. Let me say one thing: Creelman Biology is GOD. Its the best darn book for biology out there. Everyone needs to get it.

It sorts out all the past questions in syllabus order, so you can use it instantly from the start of the year. The answers are really succinct, really detailed and even provide marking criteria.

Compare this to Success One: questions are sorted by paper, the answers are shit and don't even have marking criteria.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET CREELMAN BIOLOGY
Oh! That's really good, cuz i've heard somewhere that Creelman's answers are crap! but we've got a new copy every year in our school library (the latest edition). I've looked at it and it looks AWESOME!!

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Hi Sinophile, thanks for the rep!
I am using Success one for both biology and chemistry, so I might try to arange the topic by topic like creelman.
For past papers, I cant find many on the net, especially for biology, I have seen the past papers on the resources section, but they are not many? Do you know any other websites, that have some more past paers?
Thanks
On the forums here someone posted a download for a MASSIVE amount of past papers for sciences and maths. I forget where it was, I suppose you could go hunt for it.

Alternately you could go buy some trial papers off people you know or people on Boredofstudies. I would say most very-good students would have a secret stash somewhere you could buy off them for not more than $20.

mioumiou

HSC
On the forums here someone posted a download for a MASSIVE amount of past papers for sciences and maths. I forget where it was, I suppose you could go hunt for it.

Alternately you could go buy some trial papers off people you know or people on Boredofstudies. I would say most very-good students would have a secret stash somewhere you could buy off them for not more than $20.
You mean this one?

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ree-past-papers-past-papers-only-no-spam.html

By Thecorey0?
There's loads of them!!

mioumiou

HSC
For some reason your link redirects somewhere else

edit: oh I see, left out the L at the end of the link

Yeah thats the thing I was talking about
I have no idea how did they collect these papers? Or even where..... =S

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
In my opinion Odlum and Graner's answers are better than Creelman and Success One. I find that Success One's answers are not exemplerary. Creelman's answers are pretty good but I've heard that they've stopped publishing new editions for it now.

mioumiou

HSC
In my opinion Odlum and Graner's answers are better than Creelman and Success One. I find that Success One's answers are not exemplerary. Creelman's answers are pretty good but I've heard that they've stopped publishing new editions for it now.
Why did they stopped publishing new editions? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)